Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 02-18-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Question Iverson and Kobe's futures?

Both aren't happy in their current situation. Kobe has said he doesn't like Phil Jackson as person, he wants to explore the free agent market, among other things. Meanwhile, Iverson was benched for missing practice and isn't getting along with the new interim coach, Ford. Some have even speculated that the two could switch places considering Kobe is from Philly, but I doubt that because Kobe could opt out of his contract at the end of this season and the Sixers would lose A.I. for nothing. Will Kobe and A.I. be in different towns next season, or maybe this season?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road

Well im hearing big waves about Kobe going to Orlando, for some reason. Obviously, there would be a third team in the mix. I'm thinking Golden State with Dampier. But everything im hearing so far is so sketchy, right now. I don't really want to put out anything that would cause harm to my Rep. :-)

Allen Iverson, well, Philadelphia is shopping him. They aren't getting anything worth making the trade, but they are on the market on getting arid of him. There are three things that prevent Allen Iverson and the Sixers from getting his full Value. 1) He's 6'0" 180 pounds and plays shooting guard. 2) He obviously thinks practice is over-rated and doesn't think someone with his magnitude should have to practice. 3) His injury history is causing his value to go down considerably. Watching a player in full-body pads is not that re-assuring for some teams. So, untill Iverson hits the weight-room and can start taking some of this abuse, without getting injured, he's not going anywhere.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

He takes all the abuse!!! Its just that it is impossible to take that type of abuse over a ten year period and still be the same player, much like an NFL running back. To say that he hasn't taken the abuse or has to get in the weight room is rediculous.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

We talkin' 'bout practice. The Answer is not the answer in Phili any more. Going to practice late showed that he doesn't really care about the 76ers any more. Also, when he came to practice, he was in a Spurs uniform and hat. How much more disrespectuful can you be to your team than that?

I would say he is getting traded but who can replace him? I would say why not Kobe for AI, but I don't think they would fit on each other's teams. Iverson is above all pgs that would be traded.

As for Kobe, Kobe for T-MAC would be a great trade. They are both about equal players and would fit on eachother's team well.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:19 PM   #5
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

speculation abounds!
Personally I hope Kobe stays in LA. I believe that he wants to, as long as that's the best option.
Iverson is awesome. I don't care if he flakes out on a practise here or there, like Shaquille, ...... it's the bench and the other guys who need the practise more.
Iverson in a Spurs jersey is interesting!! That would instantly make the Spurs once again a top top contender!
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

hmmm, neither of Kobe or AI are happy where they are at. Kobe wants to run his own team and AI want's more stars around him.....How bout the Lakers and Sixers swap Kobe and AI. In Philly, he has his own team to run, even though the philly fans it will take a little time and then the fans will respect him as their franchise player. And Shaq and AI are great friends, AI was a player that Shaq gave credit for in the Allstar break(only mentioned AI and KG). AI needs a big man and Shaq doesn't like Kobe but is home dogs with AI. So I think the best move for both AI and Kobe is to just trade eachother for eachother. But I don't think the fans will like it but what's more important, fanbase or wins. After a couple of wins with the new team, the fan base grows with you anyway. Go ask Malone and Payton. Two players in the fast who were usually booed at if the Sonics or Jazz played the Lakers at Staples/Forum.

Well, there are currently a couple of teams that will probably have Kobe. Other than the Lakers, the teams that have the best chance at getting Kobe are the Clippers, Suns, Hawks or Spurs, who all have the cap space to get Kobe. I don't think the Spurs will do it because, well, they are the Spurs. And I don't think Kobe would want to play for the Hawks, so the most possibvle teams are the Clippers and Suns. I don't think the Clippers will get him because Sterling wont risk it because of the rape trials and won't want to lose Quentin Richardson to who ever gives him the the offersheet. Even though it is donald sterling, after giving fat contracts to Elton Brand and Corey Maggette, it makes me think that DTS finally wants to have a winning franchise and I have faith that he will re-sign Q. But I don't think Mike Dunleavy is interested in Kobe and wants to builds the Clippers similar to the Kings, a team with depth, veterans and no real superstar to take all the credit and take over. So I think the Kobe to Clippers idea shouldn't and wouldn't happen. Now a team like the Suns will be perfect for Kobe. He is surrounded by young talent in the Matrix, Amare, Joe Johnson. I can easily see Kobe fit in the mix but I don't hink Kobe would want to go to a small type city like Pheonix So cahnces are, Kobe is just gunna have to accept Phill(or maybe Lakers can fire Phil and bring in Byron Scott. Scott was Kobe's only real friend when he was young. So it should be a great idea. I'm starting to believe Phil Jackson is overrated. I mean, when he had Jordan and Pippen and Kobe and Shaq, he won, he never had a team that didn't have a real star. It makes me wonder if he's able to be a "good coach" if he ever coached a team like the Heat, Hawks, Clippers, etc, Teams with young talent but didn't set a name yet. Phil can't coach young players, that's why Devean George was always on the bench during his first and second year and that's why Kareem Rish is hardly ever played and same with Slava a year ago. So I think the best move(risky) move for the Lakers to do during the summer is not have Phil Jackson as head coach and Kobe would want to come back and sign Byron Scott to a contract. He would be a great coach for Kobe.

As for Iverson, I am really not sure what he will do. His situation doesnt look good in Philly. But if he shows up in practice with Spurs stuff on, that probably says something. Spurs do have the cap space and he would love to play with a big man like Tim Duncan. AI will get his championship ring, and him and Tim Duncan will be a bigger force than Kobe and Shaq ever were. Unlike Kobe. AI and Tim Duncan can make a friend with a new teammate easily. So I believe Kobe will either be a Laker or a Sun and AI will either be a Sixer or a Spur next year, And look at some of these line-ups if the the Suns and Spurs get Kobe and Iverson

Suns:
C) Who ever they draft or get from FA.
PF) Amare Stoudemire
SF) Shawn Marion
SG) Kobe Bryant
PG) Eisley or who ever they draft or find from free agent(possibly Carlos Arroyo)

Spurs:
C) Rasho Nesterovic
PF) Tim Duncan
SF) Manu Ginobili
SG) Allen Iverson
PG) Tony Parker
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
decemberlove
Grizzled Veteran

decemberlove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Diceman
Well im hearing big waves about Kobe going to Orlando, for some reason. Obviously, there would be a third team in the mix. I'm thinking Golden State with Dampier. But everything im hearing so far is so sketchy, right now. I don't really want to put out anything that would cause harm to my Rep. :-)

Allen Iverson, well, Philadelphia is shopping him. They aren't getting anything worth making the trade, but they are on the market on getting arid of him. There are three things that prevent Allen Iverson and the Sixers from getting his full Value. 1) He's 6'0" 180 pounds and plays shooting guard. 2) He obviously thinks practice is over-rated and doesn't think someone with his magnitude should have to practice. 3) His injury history is causing his value to go down considerably. Watching a player in full-body pads is not that re-assuring for some teams. So, untill Iverson hits the weight-room and can start taking some of this abuse, without getting injured, he's not going anywhere.
many teams would love to have iverson cos he puts booties in the seats... and thats the most important thing. he brings in the money. his selling power... iversons jersey has been top two for the past three years.

not many players can fill seats consisently like allen. so in that aspect, youre right, the sixers wont get his full value.... but its not from the reasons you listed.
decemberlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:46 AM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't see any team trading for Kobe because of his legal situation. Imagine trading for him and then him being found guilty.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Exsactly, My fellow Clipper fans are looking like idiots after the rumor about Kobe going to the Clippers. Even though I'm a huge Clipper fan, I will straight up laugh if the Clippers pass up on Quentin Richardson in order to pursue Kobe and then when they do sign him, Kobe is found guilty.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I think that's a gamble I would probably take as an owner.... Kobe could do wonders for any ballclub, and odds are (IMO) that he will come out of this w/o any jailtime.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:40 AM   #11
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

I wouldn't take the chance, espeially considering the Clippers luck. I bet if Kobe becomes a Clipper, Kobe will be found guilty the next day. But I don't need to worry about that. He won't be a Clipper.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
TexasNative
Grizzled Veteran

TexasNative is on a distinguished road

I think it is sorry on Kobe's part that they are trying to attack the rape shield law in Colorado. They means one thing to me. Kobe is guilty and his defense team only has slander in mind.

The only thing that should matter in her past is if she has an identical situation in her past where she tried to get someone put in jail for rape.

Otherwise, this is just about slandering her name to the point that Kobe is viewed as a victim instead of what he is.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

no Tex, it's absolutely relevant to the defense's position that she's a little slut who was just trying to get attention from her ex.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #14
TexasNative
Grizzled Veteran

TexasNative is on a distinguished road

She is not on trial for being a slut. I don't mind if evidence is brought in because it actually pertains to the case.

Being a slut doesn't mean a woman deserves to be raped and unable to call the police on it.

And to be fair, being a superstar doesn't mean you are guilty of every charge brought up.

But her past has nothing to do with rape.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #15
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

oh it absolutely does, and also counts after the alleged incident.. she could very easily be a pretty twisted little girl, far from healthy upstairs, in which case all this evidence is going to help the truth come out.

and how did this Kobe/Iverson thread turn into a Kobe's trial thread?