Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 11-17-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Smile Some thoughts on the early action....

*Niagara and Providence just played one of those games that drives an upset lover like me crazy. Niagara was up by THIRTEEN with about seven minutes to go, so of course they were outscored by Providence 22-4 the rest of the way. Dwight Brewington looked just as good as Gomes for Providence, and they will be a hell of a one-two punch.

*Arizona got a first place vote and is ranked 11th, and that's exactly how many points (11) they beat U. of San Diego by, who won four games last year and was missing their top player. San Diego outscored them by 7 in the second half (that's the half the heavy favorite is s'posed to run roushod over their Mark.) They just looked terrible. In the next round of the NIT, they'll play Wright State, who is high after scoring a dramatic road overtime win at Tulsa. Can't pick the upsets, but however many points Vegas ends up giving Wright State, take them.

*Ohio State so far is blowing out the weak sisters they couldn't blow out last year. Good.

*Michigan struggled with Binghamton and will lose their NIT quarterfinal with Colorado, I do believe.

*I was sort of hoping Penn State would improve a bit this year (the underdog lover in me again, but so far)...a 9 point loss to Illinois....State, and a TWENTY point loss to South Carolina....State. Yikes. Ah well. They did beat Western Carolina.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Some thoughts on the early action....

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
*I was sort of hoping Penn State would improve a bit this year (the underdog lover in me again, but so far)...a 9 point loss to Illinois....State, and a TWENTY point loss to South Carolina....State. Yikes. Ah well. They did beat Western Carolina.
Kevin, it is going to be a long season as a PSU hoops fan. I'm just not sure what to say after a 20 point loss to South Carolina State. They are the one team the Lions had a distinct height advantage on. This is VERY disappointing after a solid recruiting class. I had hope for an NIT bid. I can kiss that goodbye now. The entire tournament was a pathetic display. No excuses, PSU should be 3-0 right now, not 1-2.

At least the football recruiting class is coming together nicely. Sad as it may be, most PSU fans are probably looking forward to LOI day than the entire PSU basketball season. No matter how bad the football team is, PSU will always be a football school.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some thoughts on the early action....

Quote:

*Arizona got a first place vote and is ranked 11th, and that's exactly how many points (11) they beat U. of San Diego by, who won four games last year and was missing their top player. San Diego outscored them by 7 in the second half (that's the half the heavy favorite is s'posed to run roushod over their Mark.) They just looked terrible. In the next round of the NIT, they'll play Wright State, who is high after scoring a dramatic road overtime win at Tulsa. Can't pick the upsets, but however many points Vegas ends up giving Wright State, take them.

As an Arizona fan, you better believe I was glued to this game. I completely agree, UofA looked bad. "Sloppy" is probably the best word to describe their play in the second half. Mustafa Shakur was the only player that I thought had a good game and even he made some careless passes.

Aside from the obvious criticisms about their virtually non-existent defense (and it was pathetic in the 2nd half, especially on the interior), one of my biggest complaints from last season so far has not been addressed: feed the ball inside to Channing Frye. This guy is at least one of the three best centers in the country and can fill it up if you get him the rock. UA lives and dies far too much on the perimeter. If you want to win, you get Frye the ball consistently. He should be taking at least 12-15 shots a game.

And where was Hassan Adams???

San Diego's roster looks pretty different from last year's and I expect that team to be much more competitive this season. It's also possible that Arizona just lost interest in the second half after dominating and building a comfortable lead in the first. Season openers are never a team's best performance. Also, missing Isiah Fox probably hurt a bit as far as slowing down SD in the middle. Those are the reasons why Arizona fans shouldn't be crying just yet. Still... not a good game for the Wildcats.

After they beat Wright St. ("when", not "if"), they have a tricky Michigan squad waiting for them. I think the much-improved Wolverines will provide a good test and set a barometer for where Arizona really is at. Still hoping to see a Zona v. Wake matchup in the pre-NIT final.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Re: Some thoughts on the early action....

Quote:
Originally posted by #99

After they beat Wright St. ("when", not "if"),
You're right, that should be a certainty....but either the problems from the San Diego game will continue and they will win by single digits, or they will have learned a lot from the opener and will win by 20+. I don't really see there being much of a chance for in-between.

I look forward to it, expecially since Wright State is an Ohio team and was actually my second choice when I was picking a college back in the day.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Re: Re: Some thoughts on the early action....

Quote:
or they will have learned a lot from the opener and will win by 20+. I don't really see there being much of a chance for in-between.

So of course they win by 17. I'm such a wizard. :uhoh:

Old 11-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Remember the name: Rajon Rondo.

He will be the best PG in the nation by next year.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I've never heard of Rajon Rondo, but before I look him up, I'm going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb and guess he's a Kentucky Wildcat.

.....yep.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've never heard of Rajon Rondo, but before I look him up, I'm going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb and guess he's a Kentucky Wildcat.

.....yep.
He's a McDonald's All-American, highly-regarded, and not some average player I'm high on just because they're a Wildcat.

Last edited by Marc; 11-20-2004 at 10:53 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:01 AM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'm high just because they're a Wildcat.
Whoa...I'm not accusing you have homerism. Okay. Yes I am.

But we'll see, won't we?

Quite a night tonight as well. UNC...goes down to Santa Clara. Missouri...goes down to Davidson. In a game I watched, #1 Kansas got ALL they wanted from Vermont, who led late before falling by 7. D*mn! My Zips led by 4 at Drake with a minute to go, and then got outscored 6-0 in that minute. D*mn! At least Ohio State dominated a third time (again, not a big deal except it wasn't happening last year), this time against Delaware.

Also watched Gonzaga vs. Portland State. Doesn't it seem like Ronny Turiaf has been around for about ten years? Anyway, with a nod towards the nice performances thus far by Santa Clara and St. Mary's (and as I write this, San Francisco is staying with Stanford), he's going to REALLY dominate this year, as these WCC schools aren't gonna have much of an answer for him. It was like watching an all-state HS senior play in the freshman game tonight, and then I realized it's probably look like that all year.

Old 11-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The buzz in UNC country today is that Roy will never win anything substantial at UNC until Felton, May, and McCants are gone.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:53 PM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
The buzz in UNC country today is that Roy will never win anything substantial at UNC until Felton, May, and McCants are gone.
Too much talent or just not great team guys? I was high on UNC coming into the season but that performance against Santa Clara wasn't exactly encouraging. Roy's boys better get their act together or they will be buried in the ACC fast. Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Duke, Maryland, and N.C. State are all locks for the tournament.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Not great team guys and no real leadership. I did not see the game, I don't think it was televised in this area, but my biggest criticism of the team last year was that they did not play team ball, especially on defense. They do farily well one-on-one, but if someone gets beaten there is no help defense to pick them up. McCants plays in his own little world and produces when he feels up to it. I think Sean May is really more interested in looking good for NBA scouts than winning ball games. I think McCants, May, and Felton think they know it all and just don't listen to the coaches. The local paper summized the team as lacking any real energy or focus. Jawad Williams said that nobody stepped up to make plays in the second half. Which is what would happen last year. They did not have anyone willing to step up and be a team leader in crunch time when games were on the line.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #13
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Did Arizona beat that J.J. Reddick wannebe Todd Billet(does he still play?) and the rest of that crappy Virginia team? For some reason I seem to like their basketball program a bit, Pete Gillen deserves to stay, he has brought in a lot of decent young players. This will be a decent team in 2 years. Anyway I'm almost positive they lost b/c they had noone to cover that Shakur dude.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

No, UVA whupped 'Zona last night 78-60. No Billet is not there any more they have some kid named Sean Singletary who scorched the Cats last night for 15 points, 8 assists, and 6 rebounds. Just goes to show how deep the ACC could be this year if the preseason number eight team in the conference takes a top 15 team to the woodshed.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #15
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

are you fricking kidding Me? I just saw it in the newspaper. Has anyone else noticed college basketball HUGE games are getting noted porley. I guess no one cares with foot ball around. But anyway, thats crazy and that Singletary guy didn't even play last year, and they were young last year, Where was he? Is he a freshman?

Thats stunning, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another terrible season from the Cavaleirs. Was it last year or the year before they beat Kentucky in some preseason tournament. Everyone than thought they were pretty good, but they fell flat on thier face and sucked. Cavaleir fans can call us chockies in football, but they've always been the chockers (how do you spell?) in basketball. I also saw on ESPN that Iowa beat Louisville, plus I would have never known Santa Clara beat UNC if my freind wouldn't have told me, whats up with this NCAA Basetball not getting covered?
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote