Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Christmas Picks
Pistons and Lakers win 1 11.11%
Pistons and Heat win 7 77.78%
Pacers and Lakers win 0 0%
Pacers and Heat win 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road
Talking Christmas Day Action!

Oh I can't wait!

First, we have the Pacers squaring off against the Pistons in their first rematch since the big brawl (although sans Crazy Artest).... This game should be pretty close but I'll go with Detroit making a statement here.

Then, the main course... served up piping hot... Shaq is back in LA with a vendetta. Kobe offered a little peace offering a few days ago, which seemed a bit on the weak side... too little too late, IMO. I'm sure he could've tracked down Shaq's number if he REALLY wanted to talk.
And then you have a big, much younger and fiercer-looking Shaquille getting so ramped up for this, he won't even speak Kobe's name anymore. ....talk about fireworks!
Or let's talk records:
Miami is 19 and 7 as of today, while LA is 13 and 11. You can grant some of that to playing in a weaker conference, but not all of it. Statistically, Miami should win...
But I'm going to be a homer and pick LA I think the Lakers are going to step up and get the big win, although probably just barely.... and I'm predicting at least one technical foul from either Shaq or Kobe (or both).

Regardless of the outcome though, I would like to thank the NBA for making spending Christmas day with the relatives just a wee bit more tolerable Hope you all have a great one!
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Did you catch Shaq's comments on MNF last night? His best line last night was "We all know what happens to a Corvette when it hits a brick wall." Shaq is always good copy he never disappoints.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

oh yeah... Shaq is always a character
don't forget to vote for your predictions....
Old 12-21-2004, 11:11 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

D-Wade is gonna dominate this game
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by coachJ
D-Wade is gonna dominate this game
Why do you think that, coachJ?
Old 12-21-2004, 11:51 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Too bad Shaq may miss the game: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...C-DT9705204233

I doubt he will want to after saying those comments, but sometimes things happen you can't control. I also look forward to the Christmas Day games...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #7
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

If Shaq punks out with a ..... did I get that right- a 'bruised calf'?..... my immediate reaction would be to think that maybe he bluffed a little too much with the whole "Corvette/Brick Wall" metaphor, and decided to wuss out.

Shaq had better be on that floor Christmas day. No excuses.

I will absolutely guarantee you that a measly bruised calf wouldn't keep Kobe out of that game, or any game. Hell, the guy has been playing with plantar fasciitis and not even complaining. You have to wonder if the same ailment would 'force' Shaq to retire to his mansion for weeks or months....
Old 12-22-2004, 12:08 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Wait we are talking about Shaq and not Vince Carter now. But, you have to consider too that Shaq is easily carrying around 100 more pounds than Kobe is. That is a pretty big difference. Besides, he probably sat out tonight against the Celtics so he could be good to go this weekend. The Heat are good enough to beat most teams in the East without Shaq.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:24 AM   #9
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Nothing will happen. Its all hype. But I'm watching it just in case

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:28 AM   #10
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Wait we are talking about Shaq and not Vince Carter now. But, you have to consider too that Shaq is easily carrying around 100 more pounds than Kobe is. That is a pretty big difference. Besides, he probably sat out tonight against the Celtics so he could be good to go this weekend. The Heat are good enough to beat most teams in the East without Shaq.
SMALL factor, lee.... sure, Shaq weighs more... his bone structure is also much bigger, in order to support that.
Anything less than Shaq on the floor Christmas Day is a big WUSS move for the Diesel.... I don't see that happening.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #11
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
If Shaq punks out with a ..... did I get that right- a 'bruised calf'?..... my immediate reaction would be to think that maybe he bluffed a little too much with the whole "Corvette/Brick Wall" metaphor, and decided to wuss out.

Shaq had better be on that floor Christmas day. No excuses.

I will absolutely guarantee you that a measly bruised calf wouldn't keep Kobe out of that game, or any game. Hell, the guy has been playing with plantar fasciitis and not even complaining. You have to wonder if the same ailment would 'force' Shaq to retire to his mansion for weeks or months....
My but you've turned on your former giver of Titles, Shawn....:nod:

If Shaq doesn't play on Christmas, the only message I'll see is one of Shaq & the Heat management keeping Shaq healthy for a run at a Title. This may be a BIG game for some fans but it's no showstopper.

The hype is just what it is......hype. The Heat is playing well together so far with Shaq fitting in as opposed to trying to be the Man while the Lakers are still up & down. Important game on the schedule it's not. Besides, the day you see Shaq afraid of playing a 39.5% shooting Bryant is the day you see Shaq hitting 85% of his FTs consistently....:lol:

& as far as Kobe playing "hurt", he was shooting as poorly before as when the story "leaked out" that he had been wounded by a "bad cheeseburger". Besides, it hasn't slowed him from taking the most Laker shots & averaging over 43 minutes a game.

Shaq went to a suspect Heat team & has them at the top of the Southeast while Bryant has taken a suspect Laker team & has them in the middle of the pack in the Pacific.

It would seem like Kobe needs this game a lot more than Shaq ever would.....
Old 12-22-2004, 01:37 AM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
My but you've turned on your former giver of Titles, Shawn....:nod:
trippin... I haven't 'turned' on Shaq, and he didn't earn those titles all by himself.

If he wusses out of the most-watched game of the regular season with a 'bruised calf', then I'ma call it like I see it.
I wanna see Shaq out there and I wanna see a good 'Heated' game, and I'm FAR from the only person who thinks that way. But go ahead and keep twisting it around if it amuses you
Old 12-22-2004, 01:45 AM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawndo
. But go ahead and keep twisting it around if it amuses you
Are you gonna be this testy & obnoxious all year when it's about Bryant & the Lakers???
Old 12-22-2004, 01:51 AM   #14
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarkus
Are you gonna be this testy & obnoxious all year when it's about Bryant & the Lakers???
Tell me you're not intentionally trying to push my buttons and I'll say no.
For the record, you did kind of call me out there with the "my how you're turning on your former 'Giver of Titles'" bit...
so you could say I'm testy and obnoxious and I could say something like, well, "I'm not looking for trouble*, but I can afford it".

*or am I?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:27 AM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

lol....

Actually what I think you must be ever aware of is that you're in uncharted waters this year where Kobe has done A LOT of things that have him now being judged as a 'carrier' of a team. That in itself will have the spotlight on what he says & does.

Being passionate about Bryant has you seemingly & tirelessly posting excuses & defenses of some Kobe situations that just about demand a rebuttal from someone & since Buckeye or #47 aren't around, I guess it fell to me.

I know how you feel about Bryant but I'm also a fan who is more than tired of hearing constant references to Bryant when he's wallowing in mediocrity without Shaq & hasn't proven anything beyond what we've seen from previous Laker teams.

So for you to think I'm "pushing your buttons" on purpose is out of character since I've not gone out of my way to do it in the past. However, review my posts & you'll find they're saturated with current stats, facts & my take on it all. Just cuz Bryant has worn out his welcome with me has apparently put me in your "Buckeye" slot...lol

Just to point out something that I ran across that normally wouldn't be worthy of a thread but here we have Bryant threads all over the place since your a Kobe & Laker fan. That's not a problem but realize that it prompts Kobe discussions...& a lot you won't care for...

Case in point.....

Kobe shoots 2-16....0-6 from treyland...& Bryants response???

"They played great defensively," Bryant said. "They just sagged in and turned us into an all-perimeter team. They just kept me out on the perimeter. Most of my shots were bail-out shots with the clock winding down, or shots with a hand in my face."

Notice his woven in excuse about his having to throw up "bail out shots"?? Just like his answer recently for him & Atkins letting an opponents backcourt tandem go for 37 & 33 points. "Nobody closed down the lane"....

You may not agree but I guarantee that will drive a wedge with teammates who'll turn right back & say 'Don't point the finger at me. It was your man" or "you're the one missing all the shots"...

So don't take it personal but also realize I like ya but can't worry about hurtin' your feelings. & when you're saying I'm callin' you out, step back & see yourself calling Shaq a wuss & running from a showdown with Kobe. I'm sorry but that was so ridiculous that it begged a response.

& apparently you secretly do believe it was Kobe that was the primary reason for those Titles. Every Superstar needs help & Shaq got his from Bryant, along with Fisher, Fox, etc. I guess you believe it was the other way around with Jackson holding Kobe back from more Titles.

Sorry once again that there's no way that is even remotely true....