Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

View Poll Results: Do You Favor Affirmative Action?
Yes 0 0%
No 4 100.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question Are u For or Against Affirmative Action

That has been a big issue lately. I'm against it if it gives any race an advantage over the other.

I think a person should receive or get a job based on their work record or qualifications and as for getting into college it should be based on your SAT scores or whatever they use now to get in.

Now if someone can prove legally they were held back or discriminated against that is a different story. But I think everyone has a fair chance of getting an education if they apply themselves and have the money.

I'm white and never had the money to go to college. I could have used the GI Bill of Rights, but I didn't. How stupid I was. But I was just making the point if I had not been in the military I couldn't have afforded to go to college.

I know there are different grants and so on, but I don't know much about that. Can someone elaborate on grants for poor people and how and where u can apply.

But are you for Affirmative Action as it stands now?
Old 12-19-2002, 05:17 PM   #2
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

Well... I won't comment on this, as I risk to cause some sort of turmoil... but, I believe that anything equalizing the chances of all races is good.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:28 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

The races in this day and age, in the US anyway, are plenty equal now. Affirmative action has done MORE then enough, there is no need for it in regards to races anymore.

Its time some people starting looking in the mirror and started WORKING to get what they deserve, instead of having it handed to them.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:48 PM   #4
air_canada
Youngster

air_canada is on a distinguished road

That's harsh, but true.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
The races in this day and age, in the US anyway, are plenty equal now. Affirmative action has done MORE then enough, there is no need for it in regards to races anymore.

Its time some people starting looking in the mirror and started WORKING to get what they deserve, instead of having it handed to them.
Does that include the native population??

I know that here in Canada.... they are left on thier reservations and forgotten about.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

It isn't harsh at all. What is harsh is the way people that air canada probably looks up to politically, use black Americans for votes and gets them stuck in an aweful lifestyle of wellfare and quotas. Affirmative Action is a slap in the face to all black people, it simply says that they are not good enough to get jobs with their own resourses. They need the governments help. Well, I don't buy that for a second.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

I am against affirmative action. The way I look at it, the best qualified person for a certain job is the one who should get it. Skin color or ethnicity should have nothing to do with it.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:56 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
Amen ... I am sick and tired of minorities crying foul about racism if they don't get what they want or don't like something. I'm not saying this happens all the time, but it has happened more than once, for sure.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 07:18 PM   #9
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

I would very much agree with what Ricky said.

Shaggy, it is the Native Americans in this country who chose to stay on there reservations. There is no law that says they cannot go to college, cannot get a job(off the reservation) and cannot have what the rest of us have.

But native Amaericans choose to stay on there reservations for other reasons, some of them not exactly for the betterment of them selves and there people. An example would be the Tax situation or lack of it. There are many people who think the Native Americans who choose to stay on the reservations are, for a lack of a better word, lazy. They enjoy the goverment aid they get, they enjoy the lack of laws that we have to live by, they enjoy the lawlessness of there reservations. There is not exactly much policing of the reservations, at least not here I NY. They are basically left alone.

Native Americans are on there reservations and still living there in this day and age because they choose to, knowone is pointing a gun at there head and saying they cannot come of the range. There choosing to stay there.

Amen Marc!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote