Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Details emerge on Kwame's strange actions

This is really interesting ... yet disturbing.
Quote:
Brown: 'I would've done something seriously wrong'

ESPN.com news services

With Kwame Brown now out of the nation's capital, he's sharing his side of the story as to why he suspended for the playoffs.

Brown told The Washington Post that he wasn't ill after Game 3 of the Wizards' series with the Bulls, as the team reported, but was so upset with guard Gilbert Arenas, he feared he would have attacked the guard.

"The thing is, the whole thing stems from Gilbert telling them not to put me in the game. I didn't come to practice because I was going to be a distraction. I was going to slap the [expletive] out of him," Brown told the paper. "I'll admit it, what I did was wrong -- not showing up was wrong -- but I ain't saying what I would've done if I showed up would've been right. Being that I didn't show up I didn't put my hands on nobody. How a teammate, a supposed friend, would go to a coach and tell him don't put me in a game, I would've done something seriously wrong to him."

When told of Brown's accusation, Arenas denied his former teammate's recollection.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...C-DT9705204233

On one hand, you are glad he stepped back and avoided making a mistake. But for him to even be that emotionally unstable shows a lot of immaturity on his part. That's what you get when you draft a HS kid, in most cases.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, this is the same guy that bawled all the time in the lockerroom when Jordan used to treat him like dirt. Cannot say that I am terribly surprised.

I wonder what he'll do when Coach Bryant tells Phil not to put Brown in the game.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Team Captain Bryant can make recommendations, but that's about it. Everything I've read from Kobe's recent statements indicates he knows his role.

As for Brown- yeah, like Marc said- that's what you have got to expect when you draft a HS kid. You have to look at the maturity of, say, a Dwyane Wade or a LeBron James as exceptions.
I'm hoping Brown has matured since then, but he should NOT have said that to the Washington Post; does nothing to help his case.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Wade was a college guy and was already married when he got drafted and top picks who have three or four years of college experience tend to show some level of success show a certain level of maturity sooner than the HS guys do. And, LeBron was being treated like a superstar since he was 14 or 15 years old. Kwame Brown sort of blew up out of nowhere his senior season of high school.

Last edited by doublee; 10-06-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Kwame Brown is a total waste of time for the Lakers.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

GM Kobe is going to have to work overtime this year. He'll have to trade away guys before Kwame lowers the boom on them and they lose their market value. For those scoring at home, here's the updated maturity scale...

1. All the kids in the preschool I pass on the way to work.
2. Andrew Bynum
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Kwame Brown

And who says I don't love Kobe? He's now #3 on my list. All part of Year #2 After Shaq: "rehealing, rebuilding, mending old relationships, and breaking Gilbert Arenas' arms off."
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
japardo

Does anybody remember Jermaine O'neal? Yes, Kwame has had some questionable actions so far in his career. But cut him a small break. Drafted by the Wizards #1, the first HS to go #1= Pressure #1. Playing with Jordan #2= Pressure #2. Too high expectations put on by Michael and the constant degrading by Michael= Pressure #3. That's alot for anyone to take, let alone a HSer. Phil Jackson will be tough, but he will coach him to succeed. Jermaine O'neal was considered just as big if not bigger bust, and Kwame is considered to have more talent. Call me optimistic, but I believe the Brown can have a breakout season much like Oneal did when Thomas coached him in Indiana!! Waste of time, I think not. 7'0 260lbs and still on 22. If Phil, Kareem, Scottie and the rest of the Lakers can harness his talent and get him focused, watch out.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Kwame still did nothing for the two seasons after Jordan was gone. Brown would be the bigger bust since he was a first overall pick, O'Neal was #16 overall. the Lakers are going to have problems if they put too much on Kwame and Bynum- kids don't get you rings.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

I think Kwame was a good gamble for the Lakers. I think he's ripe to explode like Jermaine O'Neal did.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Bring out the straight jacket.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #11
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Jay 05
Bring out the straight jacket.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #12
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

The guy is obviously tempermental, I was making a joke.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

ah... well if what he said was true, then I can definitely understand his reaction. Although that's something he never should have talked about publicly.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #14
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Kwame has no room to talk. Gilbert is a second rounder in the same draft when Kwame was picked 1st. A 2nd Rounder is more valuable to his team than the 1st overall draft pick. And don't blame anything on Jordan. It's Kwame who's the ******.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, I do think Jordan is somewhat culpable here. Some of the comments he supposedly directed towards Brown were probably a bit over the line when dealing with an 18-year old kid.