Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win this matchup?
Tampa Bay Bucs 1 8.33%
Philadelphia Eagles 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 12:47 AM   #16
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

atllonghorn is on a distinguished road

I think TB's D is every bit as good as Philly's. However, the homefield is a huge advantage.

One thing TB has going for them is that they've got a little more to prove than Philly. The Eagles will be missing out on a golden opportunity if they lose this game, but even if that happens, they're still clearly a team on the rise. Tampa's been on the cusp for a while now, and they've got to be starving. And Gruden's a badass (not that Andy Reed isn't a great coach, too).

I think this will be a close game. Cognitively, I know the Eagles should win, but since I can't stand that team or their fans, I'll be pulling for the Bucs.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:05 PM   #17
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

atllonghorn, good analysis. On neutral ground, TB might have an edge, their D is a little better statistically and they should be hungrier.

But not on the frozen tundra.

BTW, for Eagles fans whose fondest memory is beating the Cowboys in the 1980 NFC Championship game, Wilbert Montgomery has agreed to serve as honorary captain on Sunday. That is cool.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:48 PM   #18
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by atllonghorn
And Gruden's a badass .

Okay, I just want to get this in: If the Bucs lose, as I suspect they will, can we start packing this idea up and ship it off somewhere where suns don't shine.

I don't know if we've lived in an era of more employed overrated coaches in the NFL. Gruden merely did what Dungy did with this team a couple years ago. Motivating a team to live up at the very least, to its talent potential is a good thing, but nothing that hasnt' been done before.

This team is in fact better, talent-wise on offense, than the Tampa team Dungy took to five minutes (and one of the worst officiating review calls in the history of instant replay) away from beating the record-setting Rams a couple years ago.

Gruden has to prove it on the field. And he has to do it soon. I am sick of his gold-child status and his facial contortions. He's beginning to remind me of Bill "The Chin" Cowher. Great motivator through the season, great mind for the game, falls down when the chips are on the table. He's not there yet, but if he doesn't win this game, and they continue to struggle offensively next season, I'm for revoking Gruden's genius status, because he simply doesn't deserve it.

Dave
Old 01-18-2003, 02:03 AM   #19
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Tampa's D has more to prove? They're Number One in everyone's eyes, while Philly is Number 2. Please, think through what you say atlhookemhornssuck. That makes no sense. Philly's D has a ton more to prove because they think they're better then Tampa's yet no one else does.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:27 PM   #20
SportsTalker
Grizzled Veteran

SportsTalker is on a distinguished road
Default The team who scores the first TD will win the game between Tampa and Philadelphia

Since it's going to be very cold in philadelpha tomorrow, it looks like the team who scores the first touchdown will win because both teams have good defenses, and we all know good defenses don't give up a lot of points in a Championship game. So The team who scores first will have the momemtum, the lead and the more motivated defense from their offense getting in the end zone. Prediction

Tampa 13
Phila 7
Old 01-18-2003, 12:59 PM   #21
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

Hmmm...it's good to see that Penn State's not averse to admitting illiterates these days. How charitable of them.

It's not just Tampa Bay's D. What I said was that, Tampa Bay, as a team, has more to prove.

This starts with Gruden. If anyone wants to know why, see MountaineerDave's post.

Next, you've got guys like Alstott, Keyshawn, Brad Johnson, and so on, who, for various reasons, really need to win this game.

And then yes, you've got a D who needs to win an SB in order to validate themselves as one of the best defenses of all time. I'd say that's having far more to prove than whether they're the best defense this year.

Tampa Bay's been a strong team for a longer consecutive period of time as of late than has Philadelphia. They had some close calls, some embarrassments, especially in cold whether, and they've even replaced a successful and popular head coach in the hopes of getting to the next level. There's more at stake here for them. If the Eagles lose, they're still an improving team, McNabb wasn't 100%, they'll have a new stadium next year, and they'll be right back where they are right now.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #22
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

Tomorrow's forecast for Philadelphia: Mostly cloudy with a chance of flurries in the morning. Then partly sunny. Highs near 30. Light west winds increasing late in the morning to 10 to 15 mph.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:35 PM   #23
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

magman1621 is on a distinguished road

"Hmmm...it's good to see that Penn State's not averse to admitting illiterates these days. How charitable of them.

It's not just Tampa Bay's D. What I said was that, Tampa Bay, as a team, has more to prove.

This starts with Gruden. If anyone wants to know why, see MountaineerDave's post.

Next, you've got guys like Alstott, Keyshawn, Brad Johnson, and so on, who, for various reasons, really need to win this game.

And then yes, you've got a D who needs to win an SB in order to validate themselves as one of the best defenses of all time. I'd say that's having far more to prove than whether they're the best defense this year.

Tampa Bay's been a strong team for a longer consecutive period of time as of late than has Philadelphia. They had some close calls, some embarrassments, especially in cold whether, and they've even replaced a successful and popular head coach in the hopes of getting to the next level. There's more at stake here for them. If the Eagles lose, they're still an improving team, McNabb wasn't 100%, they'll have a new stadium next year, and they'll be right back where they are right now."

Yea Tampa Bay does have a lot prove, but didn't they last year at this time??? Wasn't last year the year they were suppose to have the incentive of saving their beloved head coach dungy and also as sapp said save all of their jobs. Don't tell me they were a different team last year either cause they have basically the same player personel. They didn't do it last year against the eagles and they won't do it this year against the eagles. It's the eagles time to shine.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:00 PM   #24
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Current Score:
Bucs-20
Eagles-10
9:37 left
Old 01-19-2003, 07:30 PM   #25
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Cry in your cheesesteaks, Filthadelphia fans.

Man, your city's a dump, and your team got embarrassed on their own turf.

I was going to give y'all the nod in the secondary, until Ronde Barber served you.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #26
BucsFan
Rookie Player

BucsFan is on a distinguished road

All I have to say for all you sorry a$$ Philly fans who thought that you were so high up on your horse and untouchable....and all you people who underestimate the Bucs...........

HA HA

I know a few of the Bucs players personally, and Ive never seen anyone play with so much heart and passion as I have the Bucs. They are the nicest, most "down to earth" friendly people you will ever meet (and yes...including Sapp). He's a ball buster, but thats part of the hype. They played their hearts out and did it very well. As far as Im concerned they deserve to be where they are at. As far as John Gruden goes..he's done a TREMENDOUS amount for the bucs and has completely revamped their playing style. So any of you who disagree with this, obviously dont know much about the game. But then again, that wouldnt suprise me since NONE of you even came close to predicting the outcome to this game..lol.

Any posts given after this consisting of excuses why the Bucs won or the Eagles lost will be "humorously" disregarded as bull$hit. So save your snivvling and crying for your mommies. And if what I said offends you, feel free to email me...well do lunch, in an ally of your choice to help you better understand the way the world works.

Last edited by BucsFan; 01-19-2003 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #27
BucsFan
Rookie Player

BucsFan is on a distinguished road

Oh...and one other thing...all of you immature Philly fans who find it amussing to throw batteries and beat up the oposing teams fans...well you got what you deserve..bad Karma...because what goes around...comes around.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:46 PM   #28
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BucsFan

I know a few of the Bucs players personally,
Who do you know?
Old 01-19-2003, 11:54 PM   #29
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Tom Tupa is a nice guy.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:15 AM   #30
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Welcome, BucsFan. :wavey: You are sure the passionate fan. Let's try to keep discussion focused on what happened on the field, not insulting another team's fans. Thank you.

To be honest, I never saw this happening, but with Gruden and the cirumstances, I didn't count it out in the back of my mind. Tampa simply made the plays it needed to without the turnovers and won.
Closed Thread