Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 11-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #1
marshall
Sports Enthusiast

marshall is on a distinguished road
Default Strongest Conferance?

I would have to say ACC or the "new" Big East. Both Conferances have some nasty teams.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:10 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Big East, ACC, and SEC. The SEC lost a lot the last two years and is young, but I follow it cloest it and it is always strong. Not sure about the Pac-10, can anybody fill me in?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:21 AM   #3
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

The Big 12 has five teams in the top 25 and has had four teams in the final four the past two years.

The Big 12.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:31 AM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm with Noon. Big 12 is the strongest followed by the ACC and the Big Ten.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Big 10, Alex? Why? I would put the SEC ahead of them. I did forget about the Big 12 and agree it is up there.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:00 PM   #6
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Here is how I would rate the confences-
1. Big 12- 4 top 15 teams in Mizzou, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Don't forget about Texas Tech with Knight, I can see him taking his very experienced team led by Emmit to the Big 12 title. Its now or never for Snyder in Mizzou, he has a all american in Ricky Paulding and must led this team to another elite eight in order to get this team to where it should be. Bill Self came into a great situation in Kansas, and despite the fact they lost Collison and Henrich, the freshman class is good and Langford can lead them to special things. The bottom three teams are just awful, Nebraska, Baylor, and Iowa State all stink.
The next three ACC, Big Ten, and Big East you can realy list in any order they are so close.
ACC- With three of the best coaches in the nation, this confence will always be strong. Skip Prosser and Paul Hewitt are no slauches either, and this confence, led by Duke an UNC should have at least one Final Four team. This might be a rebuilding year in Maryland, but Florida State will be much improved and I look for them to be a top 15 team next year.
Big Ten- Michigan State (Probably next year's number one), Wisconsin, and Illinois are the powers in this confrence. If Brian Butch decides not to red shirt, this Wisonsin team will make another huge push for San Antonio. Even without him, the rugged slow down offense and defense of the Badgers will give teams fits in March. Minnesota is led by super freshman Kris Humphries, and if they had Rick Rickert they would also be a top 20 team. Instead Rickert is playing in obscurity somewheres.
Big East- The home of the best team, player, and one-two punch in the nation. UCONN is so deep that thier second team would be able to compete in the Big East. With a weak schedule, look for them to be undefeated until January, when tough games agaisnt UNC and the Sooners take place. They could play Texas Tech on Friday, and I look for that to be a very tough game as well. BE is also the home of the Defending National Champion, Syracuse. I look for them to maybe Struggle until February, and then much like Maryland last year the experinced backcourt will led them to a strong March. Notre Dame and Pittsburgh will also be very good, they have contrasting styles but similar sucess. This confence to a big hit yesterday with Villanova (without thier 4 best players) losing to Chaminade, and St. Johns losing at home to Fairfield. Look for this to be Jarvis' last year in Queens, and either the coach of Iona or Manhatten will take over. Craig Esherik is also in trouble in the nation's capital. If that team doesn't go over .500, he will be out as well. My sleeper is a very good Providence team, Tim Welsh could led this team to 3rd or 4th in the Big East.
5. Pac 10- Mustafa Shakur if a future star in Tuscon, and this could be the year that Lute Olsen gets back to the Final Four. They are all around strong, with a nice mixture of experice and youngsters. I'd be shocked if they didnt win the Pac 10 regual season crown. Stanford will be very good this year, led by Josh Childress and Senior Justin Davis. UCLA will be decent this year, but I look for them next year to turn the corner and be a powerhouse once again. Oregon lost alot with Ridnour, and I don't see Washington or Oregan State bieng very good either. The best player in the confence maybe Ike Digou in ASU, he is a future NBA star and I think that he could even led them to a PAC-10 tournament championship.
6. SEC-This could be down year for usually a top 3 confence. After an awful NCAA tourney last year, they lost a ton of players to the NBA, and the mess in Georgia hasn't improved. Tubby Smith will of course have a strong team returning, but the loss of Estil hurts, as they could have had the strongest front court in the country with Hayes and the two seven foot freshman. Hawkins and Fitch will be a force to deal with, but this team realy isn't as strong as the teams in the past. Florida is the other top 10 team, but I have trouble every taking Billy Donovan and his Mcdonalds team seriously. Every year they talk National Championship and every year this team fades in March. The rest of this confence is rather weak, as Miss State and Georgia will realy miss their players that went pro. Maybe it will be good, as last year this confence was so heralded, yet they couldn't get it done in March. It could be reversed this year.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 06:54 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Big 10, Alex? Why? I would put the SEC ahead of them. I did forget about the Big 12 and agree it is up there.
Michigan State
Illinois
Wisconsin
Ohio State- Haven't started great
Michigan
Minnesota
Indiana

The Big Ten could easily have 7 teams in the NCAA tournament and no less than 5.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

ACC by far.
DUKE, UNC, WAKE FOREST, and NC STATE. Need I say more?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:26 PM   #9
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ellisismyhero
ACC by far.
DUKE, UNC, WAKE FOREST, and NC STATE. Need I say more?
Yea actually you do. How about Georgia Tech? Imagine if Bosh every stayed,
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:39 PM   #10
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

ACC has Duke, UNC, WF as the Top 3 and all could hit the Final Four and Maryland, NCState and FSU as sleepers.

Big 10 has MSU, Illinois, Wisonsin as Top 3. MSU is loaded and will win the Big 10 leaving Illinois and Wisconsin to battle for second. I seen someone list teams like OSU, Minnesota Indiana.........YIKES! These guys can't beat GTech, Virginia or MAYBE even Clemson in the ACC. You missed Iowa and Purdue who can beat all 3 of these guys.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:04 PM   #11
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

atllonghorn is on a distinguished road

Too early to say who the best conference is this year. The proof in the pudding is March Madness.

The Big 12 was easily the best conference last year, and remains so until proven otherwise. Which could well happen...it's just too early to tell.
atllonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #12
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I think the SEC. Florida will do well this year again. Alabama I'm not sure yet.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:35 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

The SEC, not yet -- they only have two top-25 teams, but they are #1 and #2 in the polls. I think the SEC will have 4-5 by season's end. I say the ACC is the strongest, followed by the Big East and Big 12.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM   #14
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

It's the ACC, and it's not even all that close. It boggles the mind that this is still even a topic for discussion. Duke, UNC, and Maryland have all been top-tier teams for the last decade, and every year at least one other ACC team -- Tech, Virginia, whoever -- joins them among the elites. The ACC regularly sends two-thirds of its conference to the NCAA Tournament and usually has at least one team in the Final Four.

This year, Duke and UNC are Top-10 teams as usual, Georgia Tech looks as good as anyone right now, and Maryland just knocked off the top-ranked team in the country.

It's all about the ACC.

from the latest AP poll
Duke (4), N.Carolina (7), GA Tech (10), Wake Forest (15)

Maryland, Florida State, Carolina State, and Virginia also received votes, and it seems like a safe bet that Maryland will be top-25 next week.

Last edited by Brad O.; 12-13-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

SEC and the Big East.