Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 12-06-2003, 10:56 AM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default The NHL may have few goals...

...but at least it is a competitve league.

Unlike the MLB, NFL, and NBA, every NHL team, with the obvious exceptions of Nashville, Columbus, and Atlanta, has been to the post season at least once in the past 7 years. That's really pretty good, even though some teams like Calgary and Tampa and Carolina have been there very few times... if you look in the East, everyone takes turns going deep into the playoffs, but even 14 of the 15 Western Conference teams have found their way into the playoffs in past decade-less-three-years.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
mutus
Rookie Player

mutus is on a distinguished road

that's one way to look at it. But lack of highly dominant teams could be the result of some other things like...

- watered down talent pool (too many teams)

- teams playing the trap (so less talented teams can compete)

dont' get me wrong, teams do what they have to to win of course. But it's so unexciting... Minnesota and Anaheim going at it for the west conference title last year was a joke, while exciting teams like Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver & St Louis all watched from home.

While I do have respect for Scott stevens and the Devils... they are so boring to watch especially in the playoffs when hockey's supposed to be at its best.
mutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Definitely... and Brodeur is a good goalie and all but I'm sure any NHL-calbir goalie could put up stats like his.....

I think expansion is a problem also, but I was just trying to put somewhat of a positive spin on things
Old 12-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #4
mutus
Rookie Player

Nothing wrong with a positive spin

I think we can rest assured that the days of NHL expansion are over (for now). We'll see what happens when the dust settles next year after the war between owners and players.

I don't think we'll see new teams for a long time... may see a few move city's though.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Ya, I think most would agree.... I think this last wave of expansion by Bettman was just wrong... even though Minnesota and Atlanta have become somewhat of successes and built decent teams... but Atlanta's and Nashville's and Columbus' attendence has significantly declined in this and last year. But really though... what was the point of TWO teams in Florida and two MORE teams in California?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
mutus
Rookie Player

here's something I would love to see:

remove / dissolve the following 6 teams from the NHL

Carolina
Pittsburgh
Florida
Nashville
Phoenix
Anaheim

Move Detroit to the East, leaving 12 teams in each conference, 4 divisions of 6 teams each

Move Devils to a Eastern city that will fill up more than half the arena (if there's any).

Force remaining NHL teams to protect a small number of players (only their best like 9 forwards, 4 d-men, and 1-2 goalies)

all unprotected players, along with all players from 6 eliminated teams get put into a draft.

Remaining 24 teams hold a draft. (if you don't get drafted, you didnt' belong in the NHL in the first place.)

:lol:
Old 12-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

ha!

...but wont happen