Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 12-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #1
timmyg
Sports Enthusiast

timmyg is on a distinguished road
Default Steroid Scandal

linky
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1936592
so the issues here:
should he be allowed to be in the hall of fame?
should he be allowed to play baseball?
how much of his past success do you think was due to his steroid taking?

one funny coincidence the trainer that gave him the steroids is also barry bonds' personal trainer

o man i made this post a week or 2 ago
https://www.sports-central.org/commu...threadid=10777
Quote:
my personal opinion on giambi (and no i have no factual evidence to back this up) is that he was on steroids, had to stop taking them for health reasons, and now he's all f'd up... i think this because they've been so shady about what his injurys/illness has been this whole season. i've heard mokey pox to intestinal parasite to serious stomach virus.
guess i have that "factual evidence" now
hee hee :goof:

Last edited by Brandon; 12-03-2004 at 01:36 PM.
timmyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
FMHornet
All-Star Player

FMHornet is on a distinguished road

Figured he was on them too, if it was Bonds' trainer, I suspect Bonds has to use too
Old 12-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #3
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Now don't be jumping to conclusion, Giambi admited he got them from Bonds' trainer, but that does not proof Bonds used them.

I was shocked when I heard about this, it totally swept me off feet. A big name like Giambi admitting to using 'roids after so many years of suspecting.

Does anybody know if his mammoth 7-year deal be voidable now, or will Steinbrenner has to continue paying him?
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I don't think the Yankees can void the contract. However, Giambi has brought shame and disgrace on the Yankee organization and does not deserve to play Major League Baseball ever again. He will never wear a Yankee uniform ever again. If MLB doesn't allow the Yankees' to void his contract, Steinbrenner will swallow the contract and let him go. George gets angry at pine tar on batting helmets, do you think he would allow a steroid user to play for the Yankees?
Old 12-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

cubfan13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
do you think he would allow a steroid user to play for the Yankees?
he already has
cubfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by cubfan13
he already has
Sheffield used a cream to help heal his knee. Giambi has admitted to using steroids for three years and that clearly made him more muscular and added to his performance. If Sheffield is shown to have done the same thing or worse, I would show him the same reaction. The same can be said for any Yankee and any MLB player in general.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
timmyg
Sports Enthusiast

timmyg is on a distinguished road

i dunno how anyone can find this surprising... giambi, bonds, and mark mcguire were always being accused of this but without a failed test, a confession, or someone ratting on them you can never have proof

the yankees will definitely try to void his contract
timmyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

McGwire never took what was classified as a known steroid at the time he used it. Andro was a supplement that I believe was re-classified as a steroid well after McGwire stopped using it due to the criticism it generated.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

So, I find this neither surprising nor more deleterious to the integrity of the game than the admissions by deceased MVP Ken Caminiti and occasional jailbird Jose Canseco.

The facts are these: guys, baseball players, are on the juice. And have been for some time.

The real question (and I think we've seen the question answered several times in recent years) is: What is BASEBALL going to do to try to limit the number of guys who are on steroids? Can BASEBALL govern itself in this matter? Will John McCain and Congress once again threaten the anti-trust status of the BASEBALL in an effort to effect some control over the game's integrity?
Will BASEBALL continue to cover its eyes and speak from both sides of its mouth, with Bud hissing for a stronger tests, knowing full well there isn't a soul making money in the game who gives a damn.

In some way, I think Steinbrenner can be the hero here. Odd, given that he's always the goat, the villain in the game. But, I think he can make a big, bright, glaring neon sign example of Jason Giambi. First, cut him. And don't wait for the weekend. Just bring him in, make sure he's feeling healthy enough to understand that he is no longer an employee of the Yankees, and that he can have his attorney contact the Yankees attorneys to attempt to obtain his paycheck. Wish him well, and never speak of or to him again.

And when Giambi is passing through the halls of the offices in the bowels of Yankee Stadium, Gary Sheffield will wander by, on his way to get the same exact news from the Boss.

And, before either player has the opportunity to contact their lawyers, file class action lawsuits against them for defrauding their employer, the fans of the game, endangering the lives of every pitcher they've ever hit against, and lying (presumably) to the team each and everytime the team medical staff has asked "Ever use 'roids?" *(Of course, I'm presuming the team medical staff is out of the loop. If they aren't, the Boss AGAIN gets to stand up for all of BASEBALL and fires each member of the medical staff, and files suits against them for negligence.)

Steinbrenner might be able to convince the random owner to join him in his fight, and while he might not win the cases in court, he will have so overwhelmingly won the case in the court of public opinion that the people will be clamoring for the player's association to give up their deceitful and disgusting stance.

Dave
Old 12-02-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
McGwire never took what was classified as a known steroid at the time he used it. Andro was a supplement that I believe was re-classified as a steroid well after McGwire stopped using it due to the criticism it generated.
This all we KNOW he took, because he had to admit it when a bottle was noticed in his locker.

I think it's safe, if unfair, to assume that Andro wasn't all he used.

And, yes, I'm a cynic on this matter.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

...wow davey crocket double posting? i thought i'd never see the day...

...i wonder who will sign him if his contract is voided?...
Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

Um probably no one unless they are really despret.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:32 PM   #13
cubfan13
Rated SC's #1 Prospect

why would no one sign him? that's just stupid
Old 12-02-2004, 08:51 PM   #14
FMHornet
All-Star Player

FMHornet is on a distinguished road

Smoking Gun has the docs and list Bonds too.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1101041balco1.html
Old 12-02-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

I didnt say no one should pick him up I just said only a despret team would. Not one team that made the playoffs can honestly say that he will be an upgrade at first. I mean cmon espn showed the stats. When he took roids he was great and all the American LEagues Barry Bonds. When he was off of it what he hit 208. Its not the same guy. I hope he does become that older player that he used to be but chances are that he wont be that old guy. Now if some team that really needs him sure go ahead and pick him up. Just dont excpect the guy from Oakland that won the MVP in 2000.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote