Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #31
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I said Pitt had a chance to upset... I called a close game, but an Indy win. Does that count for s'thing?
Eh, kinda. The game wasn't even that close. Steelers dominated the whole game and got a bad break from the officials because that INT by Troy would've sealed the game right there.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #32
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, what happened to the blowout of the Steelers by the Colts everybody predicted? Come on, guys. Game shouldn't have even been that close. Steelers dominated and the officials let the Colts come back into that game. That was definately an INT by Polamolu.
Polamolu's INT was a clean as they come. the NFL really needs to straighten that out so anything close to that play happening in the future is called correctly. the game had so many borderline and bad calls it felt like I was watching pro wrestling. I expected Vince McMahon to run out to hit Ben in the head w/ a chair.

Quote:
Peyton had a point to a degree, but even when they were not getting to him he was airmailing passes over to the bench in the first half. I don't get why the Colts didn't go with the run early on. James was having success running the ball, but with Peyton sucking it up they fell too far behind to run the ball in the second half.
If Peyton is a leader you can't call out your lineman in front of a microphone no matter how poorly they played. There's plently of NFL QB's who wish they had an O-line half as good as what the Colts have and have won big games with less. You are the guy changing the plays around so call something that's going to buy you some more time.

The Colts took a big step backwards to say the very least. Their defense was ripped apart and looked like the same soft unit that cost them big games in the past.

What blows my mind is how the Colts totally forgot about Edgerrin James. Only 13 attempts... the same number of rushes he had against the Chargers and Seahawks at the end of the season- both games they lost. You buy protection when the defense respects the running game. Setup play action. This is basic stuff that Colts used all season long for victories. The playoffs are not the time to have an identity crisis and forgot about one of the biggest reasons they were successful this season.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #33
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

It might have been one thing for Manning The Schmuck Who Doesn't Win Big Games to point out a single time that the team had problems keeping their protection assignments. Because it's true. Tarik Glenn had one of the absolute worst games I think I've ever seen him play. Kimo got through him early, and he never seemed to recover, accounting for at least three false start penalties, and having been victimized for... four if not all five of the sacks of Manning.

But, to note protection problems in the postgame to all the media, and then in the one-on-one with Jaws, in the cell phone call with his dad, the postseason exit interview with Dungy and staff, in a phone call to the President of the United States, an early letter to Santa Claus to make sure he doesn't get coal in his stocking next year, an email to Bill Simmons, well... that's just in poor taste.

I think the Colts, I mean, Manning (the guy who calls the plays, and on whose shoulders teh blame must necessarily go) forgot about Edge because to start the game, Edge wasn't able to get upfield. Before Manning hit Harrison with that one-handed grab about midway through the first, the Colts had -3 total yards. Edge had five yards rushing, and Manning had -8 passing. They had run two or three times, getting minimal yardage. They were down. He panicked. He won't blame himself, because he never does and his **** doesn't stink. But, he panicked. He couldn't find the open receivers. He couldn't get the protections right even when he thought he had them right. He was flustered. He looked like he was playing the New England Patriots.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #34
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Manning is probably the best QB going right now, I can't believe I just typed that, but he needs to give up this calling the plays thing. It works in the regular season, we get THAT, but it doesn't work in the playoffs. Playoff football and regular season football are different.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #35
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

It's clear to see that in this past Sunday's game:

Roethlisberger > Manning

Simple as that.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:53 PM   #36
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think the Colts, I mean, Manning (the guy who calls the plays, and on whose shoulders teh blame must necessarily go) forgot about Edge because to start the game, Edge wasn't able to get upfield.
part of that is because they ran the same stretch play to the same side of the field on his first three attempts. even when you aren't gaining too much yardage rushing at the start there's no reason to forgot about the Pro Bowler in your backfield.

Quote:
Roethlisberger > Manning
first starting QB to ever be in the conference title game in his first two seasons. Ben is tougher mentally and physically without question now.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:44 PM   #37
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I gotta give credit to Ben for tackling Nick Harper after the fumble recovery. Without that tackle Harper is off to the races and Colts have the lead with about a minute to go.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #38
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Wow, Dave you really rip Manning - can't say I disagree with you. Refs blew a lot of calls this weekend. Here we go guys.... I thought the pass interference call in the Denver game was BS too.... But whatever, 4 turnovers = a LOSS. That and the Pitt INT were the worst calls of the weekend.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #39
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

It was pretty wrong of Manning to basically call out his offensive line like that. You don't just put the blame solely on your teammates like that.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #40
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

my advise to Peyton is that sometimes a team has your number and you need to admit instead of pointing fingers. this season it was the Chargers and Steelers. In the past it's been the Patriots. you need to learn what a good defense will do to you when you are looking for the deep ball all the time. you ignore Edge who has only avg'ed 17 rush attempts in 9 playoff games, but avg's 23 a game for his carrer. maybe it's time to dance with who brought you.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:01 PM   #41
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
It might have been one thing for Manning The Schmuck Who Doesn't Win Big Games to point out a single time that the team had problems keeping their protection assignments. Because it's true. Tarik Glenn had one of the absolute worst games I think I've ever seen him play. Kimo got through him early, and he never seemed to recover, accounting for at least three false start penalties, and having been victimized for... four if not all five of the sacks of Manning.
Jaws was on PTI today and said he reviewed the game film and called it the worst performance the Colts line has had in the 8 years Manning has been there.

I am not saying that Peyton was right for rolling his o-line under the bus in the postgame press conference, just that he did have a point about the lousy protection. But he also needs to go back an look at how piss poor he was throwing the ball in the first half. He looked like a rookie QB who has never seen a NFL pass rush before.

Is it me or did it look like Vanderjagt intentionally missed that kick? Not that I truly believe he tanked it on purpose, but I mean you almost have to be trying not to make it to miss it by that much. He kicked it from the left hash and looked to be wide right by a good 15-20 feet.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #42
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Is it me or did it look like Vanderjagt intentionally missed that kick? Not that I truly believe he tanked it on purpose, but I mean you almost have to be trying not to make it to miss it by that much. He kicked it from the left hash and looked to be wide right by a good 15-20 feet.
That's not the first time Vanderjagt has totally missed a kick like that in a playoff game. They showed a clip on the news last night from January of 2000, a wildcard playoff game against the Dolphins. The miss was pretty much as bad.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #43
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

What possible motive would Vanderjagt have to intentionally miss that kick? It certainly couldn't have been gambling-related, because even if the Colts won it with a TD in overtime they still woudn't have covered the spread, which opened at 8 1/2 and went up from there.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 AM   #44
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Eh, should never have come down that kick for the Colts. Steeler dominated the Colts and they definately caught a few breaks. Hell, the NFL came out and apologized about that INT.

And I must say, it was most uncharacteristic of the Steelers to come out passing like they did. I think that is something the Colts did not expect (they kept that cover-2 defense out there and Roethlisberger ate right through it). Roethlisberger was 6/7 on the first drive, including the TD to Randle El.

I'm sure Denver will be a different game, but that's also topic for another thread.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #45
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Big Ben Roethlisberger

I usually talk shat about Ben and say he's a game manager and that's all. I pull out numbers saying he can't win when he has more than 26 attemps a game. While I do still think he's a game manager, I need to eat some crow after this Indy game. Once again he did not have more than 26 attemps (he had 24) and they won - but he'd played a great game. Some may say Vanderjagt lost the game, but I say Ben won the game with his tackle on Harper. What an unbelievable head's up play. Harper must be so embarrassed watching that replay. He could of even pitched it back to anyone. There were no Pitt players other than Ben anywhere near him. Props to Ben for reaching the AFC Champ game again. I think Denver will win, but Ben has a bright future in the NFL. When guys make heads up plays like that and keep their team in it, they have a chance to go all the way.