Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Steelers 14 73.68%
Seahawks 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 PM   #76
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that holding call was huge. the pass interference call on the D-Jack TD was suspect as well.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 PM   #77
mjhjrh
Rookie Player

mjhjrh is on a distinguished road
Default Officiating

This has got to be the worst officiating in a SuperBowl or any game for that matter. Every call has gone the way of Pittsburgh, why even play the game if the refs are gonna play for the Steelers.
mjhjrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #78
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

And in the end the Seahawks show us they still gag just as hard in big games. They just had an easier schedule and a better defense then last year. they played in the worst division in the NFL, from the worst conference which had its best team (the Eagles) fall apart in every possible way and were, as i said before, weaker then almost all the AFC playoff teams.

The Steelers won the Super Bowl like how White Sox won the World Series- the old fashioned way. The Seahawks were too soft and lost focus to end the half and end the game. What an amazing run the Steelers had, perhaps the most amazing road to the Super Bowl ever. Winning 8 in a row to end the season, 7 they needed to stay alive, 3 playoff games on the road- a first.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #79
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Randle-El to Ward was genius.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #80
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Congrats to Bettis and the rest of the Steelers and their fans.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #81
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Great ending to the Jerome story. He stood right there, on the podium, holding the superbowl trophy and said "this is the bus's last stop." Great ending to a career. Congrats steelers and Steeler fans on this board.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #82
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Nice game by the Steelers.

Two weeks ago, I thought stopping the run would be the key. A few days ago I changed my mind and decided that whoever had the lead at half would win. Steelers did have the halftime lead, but I was way off-- the game wasn't over until later.

It came down to (1) big plays, (2) big penalties, and (3) big injuries. That backup safety was sleeping on the Randle El pass, took a bad angle on Willie Parker, and bit on Bettis when Rothy got that key 3rd down QB keeper-- just a horrible game by him, and too bad for the Hawks that they had to rely on him. And those back to back penalties on the Locklear holding and Hasselbeck low block were poor calls-- it was a shame that they made such a huge difference
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:53 AM   #83
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Was I the only one who was thinking of Donovan McNabb's "touchdown pass" to Roy Williams when Kelly Herndon (same jersey number!) picked off Big Ben?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #84
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Hell Yes this is great! Skipping school tomorrow! Probably gonna head downtown and celebrate now! Then get some sleep! And head back downtown tomorrow!

Wow, I'm happy!

Doesn't matter how this game was won because the Super Bowl for the Steelers was won in Indy and in Denver. Not Detroit.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:17 AM   #85
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Relief!

It's nice to finally get another title... not that I remember the first four that well, but...
I was convinced early on that Cowher had firmly affixed his hand around his players' throats, but somehow, the Seabags ended up this year's great gaggers.

Officiating: I agree on the Darrell Jackson ticky-tack offensive interference call. Too bad. It was there, illegal contact was made, but... it probably doesn't get called most of the time.
I believe, after watching the Roethlisberger TD, I think the end of the ball probably broke the plane before he was down. Another thought I had while the review was ongoing: could it have been ruled by the line judge (who Michaels rightly pointed out looked like he was going to spot the ball down short initially) ruled that Ben fumbled, and then recovered the fumble in the end zone? Either way, I don't think there was visual evidence to overrule the call on the field. So...
As for the holding call... you cannot wrap your arm around the neck of the defensive player. Just because Madden (HOF coach) wouldn't have called it doesn't make it suddenly legal. Holding is holding and it called. I saw several blocks in the back and holding penalties throughout the game that weren't called. Is it too bad it came at a bad time for the Seahawks? As they say, "Them's the breaks."

I think Seattle is a decent team, coached by a guy who got desperately befuddled when the pressure intensified. What happened to them at the end of the first half? They choked. What happened to them late, while still in the game? They choked. In particular, Holmgren choked. The only Seattle player on whom you can put a fair amount of blame is Stevens. The guy dropped the ball anytime someone was around him. The only catch he had was the wide open shot in the end zone. Every other ball thrown to him, he put on the ground. (Well, maybe there was one other he caught, now that I think of it.) Nice of Porter not to run him in the ground, but I thought he went out and proved just how soft and squishy he was.

It's been a great career, Jerome. The way you bounce up after a tough run and celebrate and scream will be missed.
Brad O won't want him in the HOF, and I understand why, but, depending on the class with whom he competes, I expect he'll be learning Super Bowl weekend five years from now that he's in...
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #86
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Congrats to the Steelers and their fans. I thought Ben choked in this game (9/21 123yards 2INT's), luckily Randle El could throw better than him (in this game), and the defense played outstanding. Officiating was pretty bad IMO. But hey, that's the way it goes sometimes.
Back to the Randle El TD... wow, what a throw on the run... perfect.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #87
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I didn't have a dog in this fight either, but every time they replayed a crucial penalty hurt the Seahawks, they would isolate the offending call in slow-motion, and I was nodding my head in agreement every time. The holding call Dave already addressed, and although the PI call on the Jackson touchdown didn't look like much, Jackson pushed off on the DB, which prevented him from being able to make the forward lurch he would've needed to make a play on the ball, so it was a good call. Ricky/MJH, neither of you mentioned specific calls? Sometimes, one team really is committing all the penalties, and I'm glad the NFL isn't like the NBA where the refs feel they have to make "makeup" fouls on the other team after they make a close decision in one team's favor.

As cosmopolitan as it is to rip on every announcer, AM and JM touched on something that has been bugging me for years. Whenever a team, pro or college, is down by 9, 10, or 11 late in the game, it's like every coach turns into the same WEMUSTGETTHETOUCHDOWNFIRST robot. The Seahawks probably would've lost anyway, but they gave themselves no chance when they kept the offense on the field within FG range with about 40seconds left. You gotta either kick the FG then or, as Madden suggested, take ONE SHOT at the end zone and then kick it. Now that it's happened in the SB, maybe coaches will finally wake up on this.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #88
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Well this was one of the crappier Super Bowls I've watched in the last few years, but I'm happy that the Steelers won and both Cowher and Bettis got their rings. I had a feeling Hines Ward was gonna have a big game and he certainly stepped up. Roethlisberger was pretty disappointing, but he made a few big throws when he had to. Looks like the Seahawks weren't getting as much respect before the game for a reason.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #89
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I thought W. Parker could/should of got MVP. Granted he only had 10 carries or so, but he racked up 93 yards and a TD. Heinze had 5 catches 123 yards and a TD. One of those were the 43 yard trick play which anybody could of caught. Too bad you can't give it the defense as a whole.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #90
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Interesting that folks have liked what they got from the Steelers D. I thought they were horrific. Bend, but don't break. I guess it works, but I would have preferred stifling and dominant. Maybe I'm just being greedy. They couldn't get off the field on third downs without help from the guys in black & white stripes, only got one turnover.
On the plus side, they did figure out Darrell Jackson. I thought he was going to be the end of the Steelers, but they made some adjustment (unspake of by Michaels & Madden, who... was it just me?... were especially bad last night imo).

Troy was absent for the most part. Porter admitted that he did nothing special. Hampton was good. Keisel seemed to play a lot of downs, causing me to wonder what was up with von Oelhofen.

Anyway... I was torn. I didn't think that Parker deserved the MVP on pretty much one play. I was going to give it to Randle El, but I forgot to login to vote till the game was over. I think Hines was deserving, but despite Doug's trashing him in another thread, I thought Randle El was pretty damn good in last night's game.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote