Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win?
Steelers 14 73.68%
Seahawks 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 AM   #106
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Hey, someone agrees with me! I guess hell has frozen over.

Agreed doublee on the hiring of refs full time. Tags doesn't have the cash? Thing is, I knew there was trouble before the coin toss when they introduced the head ref and he was a five year vet. Don't get me wrong, you may be good with only five years in and you may be bad with 30 in. Obviously the NFL needs to develop the refs and have them full time so we can have some good veteran officials out there.

The thing that really irked me as a neutral observer for this affair was this was how my football season ended. Think about it guys: We have to wait til July to see someone getting hit (August for college and September for NFL to begin the real hitting).

Between this debacle and the way the bowl games were officiated, I have a sour taste in my mouth about this football season. Thank God Ohio State didn't get jobbed...this year. The common thread here is guys not up to the challenge on both levels. In the Alamo Bowl, we had Sun Belt refs trying to keep up with freakin' Nebraska and Michigan! And in the NFL, we have part-time help deciding the outcome of a billion jillion dollar industry, not to mention the actual game, which is important to those of us who...well...like football.

On another note, I did find a few Steeler fans who agreed that the calls were horrible, which kinda shocked me. Just a few though . Actually, my one buddy who I met when I lived there was so down about the way the Steelers won, you woulda thought they lost.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #107
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush
Randle-El to Ward was genius.

Randle El to Philadelphia will be even more brilliant! (Just couldn't resist).

And they had to love this result in St. Louis almost as much as they did in Pittsburgh, as the Rams figure to inherit the NFC West title next year with Seattle now doomed to a losing season in 2006 courtesy of the Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #108
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

MVP? Hines Ward??? Pleease.

How about the guy who stabbed Ken Hamlin?

His backup's backup, Etric Pruitt....
1. Let Ward get behind him on the Randle El pass
2. Was called for holding on Warrick's long return
3. Took a bad angle on Willie Parker's run when he was last deep
4. Crashed in on Bettis when he had outside contain on Rothy's keeper

Pruitt was personally responsible for 2 TDs, a key first down, and probably 100 yards. Who else in the game could claim that??

But he's modest. After the game Pruitt said, "I think I played alright. Just a couple rookie mistakes, that's all." Dude, you were the MVP!!! Live it up
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:42 AM   #109
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine and HUGE Steelers fan had this to say:

"Most of the calls that went against Seattle were LEGIT.
I HATE when the refs poor calls decide a game.
But in this case, the refs were correct, and I spent the rest of the evening, at a bar, defending that.

Let's start w/ these:
1. YES, that offensive pass interference against Seattle in the endzone WAS a penalty....CLEARLY. The receiver can NOT push off AT ALL.

2. YES, that WAS a holding call against Seattle against the Pitt lineman, PERIOD.

3. Did Roethlisberger actually break the plain for the TD?
Doesn't matter. It was RULED a TD. And when the ref reviews it, the ONLY way he can overturn it is if its CLEAR. If its unclear, he goes w/ the call on the field (TD).

Seattle screwed up NUMEROUS times, had zero clock management....and Pitt took advantage.
Plain and simple.

In the end, it was a boring game won by the team who made the BIGGEST plays.....Steelers. "
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 AM   #110
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I couldn't disagree with your friend more, Shawndo.

I do think Pittsburgh would have won the game, bad calls or not, but you have to be pretty entrenched in the black and yellow to not see how awful that officiating was.
1. The pass interference: yes, Jackson pushed. But seconds BEFORE, the CB is holding onto Jackson's wrist. That's just as illegal, and occured first.

2. I've never never NEVER seen an O-lineman hold with one hand before, and Locklear was definitely only blocking with one hand.

3. Fair enough. I agree there wasn't conclusive evidence to overturn the call, but the fact the line judge RAN OVER TO THE SPOT before he made the call was suspect, and what bothered me.

4. One your friend doesn't cite is the Hasselbeck "block below the knees." That was bad enough to be a Pop Warner call.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #111
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Bad calls did change the tone of the game, and I will expect the NFL to make an apology AGAIN to the Seahawks like they have done a few times during the regular season.

Seattle: 11 players on the field

Pittsburgh: 15 players on the field (4 in striped uniforms)!

If one is a Steelers Fan, can one really feel good about this "win"?
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #112
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
But seconds BEFORE, the CB is holding onto Jackson's wrist. That's just as illegal, and occured first.
There was no actual grabbing of the wrists. Watch it. There was contact, but that is just the arms of both the receiver and defender just flopping around in a legal manner. The defender never grabbed the receiver and stalled him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
2. I've never never NEVER seen an O-lineman hold with one hand before, and Locklear was definitely only blocking with one hand.
Nonetheless, he held and took the guy down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS
If one is a Steelers Fan, can one really feel good about this "win"?
Yes, I feel good. And what does putting "win" in quotes have to do about anything.

And to all Seahawk fans who blame the refs...You look just as funny as those teal colored jerseys your players wear.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #113
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

SeahawKnDC is on a distinguished road

First and formost I must give congrats to the Steelers and the entire Pit-fanbase. Even though the Steelers did not play as well as their fans thought they would the bottom line is they are the champs. I cant take anything way from that. Second con-grats to my Seahawks. You did what no one thought you would;make it to the Superbowl. The Hawks had a great season and I have nothing but hope and good thoughts for the future. As for the game it self it could have been better. Yes Seattle did get jobbed on several calls as im sure we all now. Take a few of the penaties back or reverse a few calls it would be a different game. But Whats done is done time to move on. The Hawks have nothing to be ashamed of there were some major miscues on clock management but other then that the guys played great. Hasselbeck played very very poised.

Once again congrats to the Steelers and the BUS but as always my heart is with the Hawks.

Seahawks 24 Steelers 21 should have been the final score
SeahawKnDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #114
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

The refs didnt throw the INT that truely ended the game. The refs didnt miss two field goals. The refs didnt have issues playing plays to end the half and the end of the game. Lets stop w/ the sour games. The Seahawks gag just they've gaged in the past.

the Steelers overcame the worst call in the entire playoffs (the reversed Manning INT) and still won. one of Stevens many dropped passes should have been a fumble but was called down by contact even though he turned and took two and a half steps.

Hasselback looked like a deer in headlights at the end of the game... and people rip on McNabb for how his last drive in the Super Bowl....
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #115
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Hasselback played great IMO. Matter of fact, he was one of the only players that showed up (Alexander did, but no one noticed) and kept America from switching channels to the TBS "Yes Dear" marathon. If anything Ben looked like a deer in headlights... 9/21, 123 yards, 0TD 2INT???? If the Steelers defense had not played a great game, they would of been smoked, regardless of how bad the refs officiating was.
Seattle got jobbed bigtime. Does it matter? No. Pittsburgh Steelers are World Champs and nothing will change. This SB win may go down as a tainted win in the books, but at the end of the day it makes no difference. I agree with most of the bum calls we are discussing:
1. Roethlisberger TD - line judge running to spot the ball, then calling TD???
2. PI call - yeah, you could call it a push off, but that was pretty lame considering the way they playing.
3. Hasselback called for "illegal block" or whatever when he made the tackle... Then Ben does block the same way on the Randel El - Ward play???
4. Holding on the "what would of been 1st and goal" play.
5. The TO granted to Pitt on 3rd & 6 when time clearly expired AND they had snapped the ball?
If I were a Hawks fan I'd be pretty pissed, but what can you do? If I were a Steelers fan I'd prob defend it to the end (like I do w/ the Pats and the "tuck rule"), but it would feel like a tainted win. You're always gonna hear "Refs 21 - SeaHawks 10" talk.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 02-07-2006 at 12:45 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #116
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

I think if the Seahawks want to blame anybody, the should blame their kicker (Josh Brown?). He missed two FGs and had he made those, with a minute or so left, the score would have been 21-19 Steelers and the Seahawks could have kicked the FG instead of going for the TD on that last drive.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #117
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Wow, attended the Steelers Victory Parade today (of course skipping school for the second strait day) downtown. It was packed. 250,000 people showed up...that's 220,000 more than they expected. I have some pictures and videos I'd like to get up sometime soon. I'll post them whenever.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #118
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

After having hassled SeahawKnDC earlier in the thread, I feel I must thank him for taking the game so maturely. I just wish some folks in the media and a particular coach (my friend compares him to a walrus) were similarly mature in losing.

I know it won't help, but after the first quarter, I was deep in despair, grumbling for Cowher's head, that the Steelers had blown it again, would lose 20-0 and considered strongly turning off the game so that I didn't have to suffer the indignity.

I still have a fairly low amount of respect for how good the 'Hawks are (I think they played about as well as they could, to be honest), but they took advantage of a team mired in its usual Cowher-big-game-freeze. Just not enough advantage.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #119
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Got my favorite pictured DLed from my camera phone.

It's Jerome Bettis with the Lombardi Trophy. He was so close!

Last edited by jhuerbin88; 02-07-2006 at 09:40 PM.
jhuerbin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #120
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Wow, sweet picture Jay. You really were close.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote