Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default Will we EVER give up on the Colts?

Allright everyone, I'm jumping ahead... but hey, what are we gonna do for the next few months besides talk about the draft, mini-camp, trades, etc...
Oddsmakers favor Colts, not Steelers next season
Quote:
Despite winning Super Bowl XL, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren't the favorite next season.
The MGM Mirage has already installed the Indianapolis Colts, who lost to the Steelers in the playoffs this year after being viewed as the favorite much of the season, as 4-1 favorites.
The Seattle Seahawks, who lost Sunday to the Steelers, are the favorite in the NFC at 5-1.
The oddsmakers also have the New England Patriots, winners of three of the past five Super Bowls, at 5-1.
As for the champion Steelers, they and the Carolina Panthers are both listed at 6-1.
You can vote who will win next year's SB. I think you all know who I voted for.
Here's the turnout as of 2:10pm EST.
Pats 35.2%
Colts 26.1%
Steelers 23.1%
Hawks 8.9%
Panthers 6.4%
So once again, NFC gets no respect. But back to my subj line: Are we ever going to give up the Colts? It seems every year they are the favorite and they choke (and I know something about having a decent squad and CHOKING every year). At what point to we count out P Manning, E James, T Dungy, and the boys? Do we ever? It just seems like every year the SURE bet is, Colts will not only WIN the SB, they won't even MAKE it there! Why would they be favored to win. They are going to lose one of their stars - so how would that make the team better? You didn't make it past the AFC Divisional round, and you're (potentially) losing a key player. Does Vegas know s'thing about a trade or the draft we don't?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2322228
^ SB XLI Odds. Jay, drop a grand on your Jets! They're paying off 100/1 Also, Dallas coming in at 10/1???
Pending trades, retirements, etc... I like NE at 4/1 for the AFC (maybe Denver since they are 10/1), Carolina for the NFC at 6/1 and my long shot (must be at least 50/1 or over) Cleveland Browns at 50/1.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 02-07-2006 at 03:51 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

^ Ha, sorry I'll have to pass on that one.

I don't get why people think the Colts will make it next season if they couldn't do it this season. What is gonna make them better?

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

As long as Peyton and Marvin are there, I think the media's obsession (or slurping as "PTI" would say) will continue. No way around it. The only cure is to use your mute button often during "SportsCenter."
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Not only do I think the Colts won't get to the SB next season, I'll predict a complete unraveling next season, and they won't even make the playoffs.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can give up on the Colts as long as they have the best palyer at the most important position in the league. With that said I don't think they will win next year but as long as peyton is there they are a contender.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Why? He may be the best QB, but he still swallows golf balls by the dozens when the fit hits the shan. To say nothing of his disrespect for his teammates....

(Yes, being a SuperBowl winning fan has gone to my head, and I am making outrageous statements based pretty much solely on giddiness.)
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think Peyton has to be hard on his teammates because if they lose he gets the majority of the crap for it and even though he contributed to the loss to the steelers he was also the reason they had a chance to tie it at the end of the game.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

But, that goes with the territory. The QB and coach typically get the glory when the team wins and take all of the crap when the team loses.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #9
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I agree with Doublee, if he cant take the heat, keep his butt out of the kitchen.

Also, Manning wasnt the reason the Colts were there to tie it at the end of the game against the Steelers, the Refs were. Manning threw a pick to Polamalu and the refs screwed the call up and gave Manning ANOTHER chance to do something with it.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Let me jump into the Manning bashing... plus, he always IS the reason they lose in the playoffs. 2003 - 3 picks to Ty Law... 2004 - played like shat all game. No TD's, 1 or 2 INT's. Same deal this year.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

My teams for 06...

1. Carolina
2. New England
3. Tampa Bay
4. Pittsburgh
5. Miami

I know...what the hell am I talkin' 'bout?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Jets and Raiders are both looking like very sexy picks given those odds (100:1 and 60:1). But if the Raiders hire Art Shell and make a run for the penalties record, then forget about it. I'd put $$ on the Jets, they are not great but have a snowball's chance (definitely more than the Cardinals and Niners, come on!)

Bengals and Skins not bad bets either at 18:1. And as a homer i'd definitely take the Pack at 35:1
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 AM   #13
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If I had to make a preliminary prediction for Super Bowl XLI right now, I would pick - get this! - the Giants and Dolphins to meet in the game, provided Miami gets some kind of quarterback in the next few months. And it's at the Pigeon-Toed Orange Bowl (now known officially as Dolphins Stadium, formerly Pro Players Stadium and Joe Robbie Stadium) too - which would make Miami the first pure "host team" in Super Bowl history (Super Bowl XIV, in which the Rams lost to Pittsburgh, was in Pasadena, not Los Angeles).

Other teams to watch next year include the Falcons in the NFC and the Chargers (who take a big drop in schedule difficulty next year in contrast to this season), in the AFC - but look for Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Washington and Tampa Bay to falter significantly in 2006 (the Bengals and Buccaneers due to strength of schedule, plus in Cincy's case the injury to Carson Palmer, the Redskins and Jaguars because both teams just plain overachieved in 2005, plus Washington lacks a first-round draft pick). And of course Seattle takes a sure plunge as a result of the Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx.

Meanwhile, at the very bottom of the scale, if the Eagles don't ditch their denial about their wide receiver situation, their home game against the Titans could decide the #1 draft pick in 2007 - a race in which the Vikings might be a factor as well, if they don't land a big-play receiver of their own and/or Daunte Culpepper's devastating knee injury proves to be career-ending (and despite opening at the longest price on the board, I don't think the Jets will really be an issue at all in what figures to be dubbed the Brady Quinn Derby, probably finishing around 6-10 or so).

Last edited by Anthony; 02-08-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

The oddsmakers will still go with the team they think has the most raw talent, they are never going to count on a team to choke no matter how many consecutive years they do it. Of course, the great thing about it is if you think the oddsmakers are making a mistake with not giving a team enough "choking" credit, that's where you have the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #15
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Peyton Manning will have very disappointingseason without a quality running back in the back field. The Eagles saw what happens when you don't commit or can't run the ball. I don't think the Colts will make it to the Super Bowl let alone win it. The AFC is too strong to make them a lock and Peyton has shown us year and year he lacks the mental toughness it takes to win the big games in the postseason. Too bad he didn't have Eli's collectiveness because we'd be looking maybe the greatest QB of all time once his career ended. Instead we have one of the biggest postseason choke artists of all time.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote