Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
I will never forget how he and Theismann got their panties in a wad during the TB/Washington game over the unsportsmanlike penalty call against Sean Taylor, when all you could see was the TB player shoving Taylor, not realizing Taylor spit in the TB player's face. They groused about it for 10 minutes!!! MORONS!!!
To be fair, the video replay wasn't clear that Taylor had spit in Pittmans face, so until the guys in the booth got word, it looked as if Pittman had got away with murder after helmet slapping Taylor right in front of the official. I was pretty pissed off to, until the actual explanation was announced several minutes later.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane
I heard the same thing.

I'll miss Al Michaels on Monday nights, but I really don't think this team is all that bad. I like Turico, as he's a no BS kinda guy but still fun to listen to, and I enjoy Kornheiser. Theismann....well, at least he's not Maguire.
I like Tirico as well, and I think Kornheiser has potential to be good if he keeps his schtick in check and concentrates on commentating as opposed to getting himself over with the audience.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Steve...

Yeah, I did feel I was going to miss something. That's why I turned the sound back on. I'm learning to deal with it. I watch 12 Ohio State football games a year that are mostly done by Hamburger and Griese. Yeah, they suck, but I'm so into the game and wraught with emotion, I would hate whatever they say anyway. It could be worse. Dan Fouts is horrible.

NFL: I can tolerate mostly anyone there except the Sunday Night crew on ESPN. Monday Night Football had such bad matchups this year that I rarely watched anyway. I just know not to expect anything coherent from Madden. I think him and Michaels did a mediocre job on Sunday. They just don't have any chemistry and contributed nothing to the game, but like I said, it probably doesn't help that Madden still thinks he is coaching the Raiders.

NBA: Steve Kerr really bothers me. I think that he thinks his playing days actually mattered. Usually I just watch the Cavs on FSN with Dave Regghi (sp.?) and Scott Williams (old center on Bulls title team...remember him?). Williams is actually pretty good. Both root openly for the Cavs, but I don't mind. It's for locals.

Back on topic...

I really don't have a clue on Kornheiser. I think doublee has the right idea:
avoid promoting yourself and trying too hard.

And whoever brought up Dennis Miller...never speak that name again.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #19
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Kornheiser is good on PTI, but he only knows the superstars in the NFL and the guys on his local team, the Redskins. I dont think he has the knowledge to put any worthwhile input to MNF. I think Wilbon would be slightly better but good luck to him.

Tirico is a great selection. I like most of the games I've heard him call. He really knows his stuff.

Theismann... come on, ESPN might have given him a long term contract w/ a large buyout they can't get out of because I can't understand why they keep putting his clueless over-opinionated clown in front of a microphone.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #20
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Hey, I remember the days when Howard Cosell stirred up the same sort of "passions."

But it could be worse I suppose: Imagine if Merrill Hoge had been proposed? That would have triggered the most famous boycott in Philadelphia since then-mayor Frank Rizzo asked Philadelphians not to buy SOS soap pads in reaction to a commercial they ran in 1972 which contained a disparaging reference to the city.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I despise Tirico. It's nothing personal. He's far too excitable, misses simple rules, and tells me too much that I already know.

Theisman and Tirico will get along, because Tirico's good at one thing, generally, getting out of the way of the talent. Too bad the talent is Theismann, who's awful, and Kornheiser, who's an unknown in this situation.

Michaels appears to be headed to NBC to ruin Sunday Night broadcasts along with his partner-in-crime for the last couple of years.

A blog I came across yesterday posed an interesting question without answering the matter himself: Was Michaels the problem with MNF?
I think there's cause to give strong consideration to the possiblity of answering yes. I thought he was impossibly mediocre to bad during the Super Bowl.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Now that I have heard that this was initiated by Micheals balking at slumming for ESPN I am not surprised this wen down at all. I have always gotten the impression in the past that Micheals considered working on cable to be a step down from network TV.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #23
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

I like how Michaels was traded for the rights to a cartoon and 4 rounds of golf. Personally, I think NBC should've been forced to take Bill Walton too...

I'm not a Kornheiser fan, I'm not a Maguire fan, not a Theisman fan, not a Madden fan. The only Sunday/Monday night color commentator i've especially liked over the last decade was Dan Fouts, but I'd rather have Dennis Miller than the guys we're getting now (okay, let the lightning bolts fly!)
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #24
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D
I like how Michaels was traded for the rights to a cartoon and 4 rounds of golf.

The cartoon wasn't that one from Denmark by any chance?:lol:

And you why it's called "golf," don't you? Because all the other four-letter words were already taken (at least according to Leslie Nielsen anyway).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

In total agreement with buckeye about Mike Patrick, except on the Sean Taylor thing. There wasn't replay evidence of the spitting until about a week after the game. The guys saw a replay with some jawing and Pittman hitting Taylor in the head. Based on the evidence available, I thought their reaction was pretty sensible and -- at the time -- totally justified. Plus, once they got the call from the field about the spitting incident, they responded to that appropriately. And that is the only time you will ever hear me defend the old SNF lineup.

I agree with the general consensus that the new MNF is weak. Tirico is a downgrade from Michaels, who isn't really good, but is good enough. Theismann has been terrible the last few years, but he could be really good with the right lineup, away from that monkey crew in the SNF booth. Kornheiser's a funny guy, but he doesn't know jack about football. And having not one but TWO sideline reporters sounds a little bit like my personal version of hell.

Kornheiser is the definition of a color man who is not an analyst, like Dennis Miller or Paul Maguire, and we all know how those guys worked out. He's totally the wrong person to pair with Theismann. Put Joe with someone serious and he can be a really good analyst. Put him with a wiseguy and he'll be just as sickening as he was with Patrick and Maguire, widely considered the worst NFL broadcast team around for the last few years.

Also, anyone else notice that this means both the color guys are from Washington? Our nation's capital is quickly becoming the third point in an unholy Boston-New York-DC trinity of sports media domination.

Football fans are going to HATE this lineup.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #26
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

I would be remiss to not defend fellow Wildcat Steve Kerr, so I'll say that he DID hit a shot to win a Finals back in 1997. Ahem.

Anyway...

One guy who I think is just awful in the NBA is Gary Bender, who does Suns games on FSN Arizona. He doesn't seem to grasp the basic rules of basketball and gets way too worked up as a result. The strange thing is, I heard him call two bowl games on ESPN this past holiday season, and he was an excellent football commentator. Does anyone else know of a similar commentator who is good at one sport and just abismal at another?

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #27
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
As annoying as Theisman is, the play-by-play guy for the Sunday Night Games (don't know his name, but you guys know who I'm talking about) fails to understand his role thus making him even more annoying. In the old days, the play-by-play guy was known as being "straight" (no, nothing to do with what goes on in the bedroom). He reported the happenings in a factual manner without putting emotion into the call. Now I don't mind a little "color" out of my "straight" guys (that is what the "color" guys are for though), but this guy dramatizes every play like it's the last second of the Super Bowl.

To top it off, after he gets done with his drama, Theisman chimes in to show us how big his balls are.

This is why I went through a big stage watching games on mute. Bad thing is, you can't help but feel you might miss something important if you don't have the sound on.
Totally! Such is the problem with Brett "Conversational Tone Drone" Musenburger during basketball games. He goes on rants and becomes too opionated at times just like that total doofus Mike Patrick. Know your damn role and stop trying to be a color commentator!

While on the subject of commentators, here's a funny Bill Simmons-esque log of the Duke/UNC game: https://www.sports-central.org/sport..._in_sports.php

Dick Vitale is great for some things, but his ADD issues are infuriating. He goes off-topic more than he is on-topic.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:51 AM   #28
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Marc...

Not that basketball matters much to the folks in Ohio and Michigan, but I must admit I was very dismayed when the Hamburger called the Buckeye-Wolverine game the other night. Sure it was a big win for Ohio State, but Hamburger lavished the Buckeyes with so much praise you would have thought Havlicek was still playing for the Scarlet and Gray.

On the spitting incident with the SNF crew...

Brad and Pimpbot brought up some good points, so I guess I could ease off of the reaction. Still, you have to have some patience. Announcers in the NBA and MLB wait to get the facts (for the most part) when someone gets a T or a guy gets ejected by an ump. I guess since the NFL has so few incidents like that, perhaps they weren't conditioned to wait for the word from the field. Like I said, I'm not going to totally let them off the hook for going nuts.

190 Octane...

Yeah, Kerr hit that shot and then he joked about MJ being scared at the parade that year. All in good fun and I even enjoyed the ribbing. However, it appears now he actually believes MJ was scared and he was a savior. Ok, not that far, but ya know what I mean. Same thing with Tom Tolbert. Although Tolbert makes Kerr look like Jordan when comparing playing careers. Could just be me though with this stuff. Tolbert took a shot at Pearl Jam during a broadcast once (to rib the hippy Walton). That's blasphemy in my book. I'd punch Ghandi in the nose if he smeared the name of PJ.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #29
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

:lol: Oh yeah, I just gotta defend fellow Wildcats.

And Marc...I may be in the minority with you, but I like Dick Vitale.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #30
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Brad and Pimpbot brought up some good points, so I guess I could ease off of the reaction. Still, you have to have some patience. Announcers in the NBA and MLB wait to get the facts (for the most part) when someone gets a T or a guy gets ejected by an ump. I guess since the NFL has so few incidents like that, perhaps they weren't conditioned to wait for the word from the field. Like I said, I'm not going to totally let them off the hook for going nuts.
That was my point earlier, too. Patrick & Theismann went totally balistic on the call without getting all the facts (not everything is obvious just from watching a video monitor) and they should have realized that. They didn't give the ref the benefit of the doubt (gee, imagine that!:lol: ).
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote