Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-05-2001, 12:21 AM   #1
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default World Champion Arizona Diamondbacks!

Congrats to the D'backs! New World Champions!

What a series! Nail-biter to the end.

Eat that, Yankees!

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 12:27 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default What a year.

From the opening game on April 2 between the Blue Jays and the Rangers in Peutro Rico, to the All-Star Game in Seattle; from the rebound of the Oakland A's and the fall of the Twins in the regular seaon, and to the historical Yankee comeback in the ALDS triggered by a football-type play and, finally, to the final game-winning RBI off the bat of Louis Gonzalez in Game Seven of the World Series, this was one heck of a year!

Hats off to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Because of that, my 2001 MLB Playoff prediction record falls to 5-2, but I enjoyed watching every minute of this year's postseason (except for Game Six of the WS -- yuck!).

Brenly got his wish -- win Game 7 over Rivera. Bad time for him to fall, but it happens. This may be the end of a great run for the Yankees, but the start of another for the Diamondbacks.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 01:25 AM   #3
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Greatest Series I ever seen since 1991

Congratulations to the Arizona Diamondbacks and the co-MVP's Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson. Also way to go Luis Gonzalez.

I predicted a Yankee win, but I am so glad to be wrong and stupid.

I do disagree with Schilling being co-MVP. Randy Johnson went 3-0 in the series. Schilling gave up the go ahead run to put Arizona behind, but he did pitch great in all three games he pitched in. He finished 1-0, but Johnson pitched better winning three games and stopping the Yankees late in the game(Game 7).

Randy Johnson is the true MVP without a doubt. He is the first pitcher to win three games in a World Series since Mickey Lolich of the Detroit Tigers did it in 1968 which I watched. I was 12 years old at the time. Just a pup. That was also the year Denny McLain went 31-6 for Detroit.

The Yankees dynasty is finally over! Praise God and thank you.
Old 11-05-2001, 01:53 AM   #4
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Ending the Yankees consecutive World Championships!

Wow! That was awesome! Brenly's fantasy about winning Game 7 and beating Mariano Rivera came true. I can't believe it. I have to be honest I thought it was over once the Yankees took the lead.

I love Curt Schilling. I just think he's one of the coolest guys around. He always has something to say and talks well to the media. The last time he was here he had to taste the bitter pill of Joe Carter's game winning 3-run home run for Toronto in 1993. I'm glad he got his ring and got to be on the other side this time.

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256:

I do disagree with Schilling being co-MVP.
I don't know. I don't mind seeing Schilling as Co-MVP. He after all was the one guy who started Games 1, 4, and 7, two times on 3 days rest.

I'm happy for Byung-Hyun Kim too that they got him off the hook. I wonder how Rivera feels now. That's the first time he's blown this big a game since what 1997 against the Cleveland Indians. He'll be okay. But it's nice to see him on other end of this for once, hehe.

Congratulations to the Diamondbacks! Party on! :partytime:
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:43 AM   #5
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I found the following stat on ESPN this morning.

"The Diamondbacks became the first team in World Series history to enter the bottom of the ninth inning trailing in a Game 7 and then rally to win before the game went into extra innings."

Something else to add to show how amazing this series was. I need to offer my congratulations to the Yankees as well. They played amazingly.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 09:36 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate
"The Diamondbacks became the first team in World Series history to enter the bottom of the ninth inning trailing in a Game 7 and then rally to win before the game went into extra innings."
Baseball makes me mad -- THEY HAVE STATS FOR EVERY FRIGGIN' CATEGORY!!!!! :redhot:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's kind of ironic, seeing as how the Yankees became the first team in 72 years to come back from a 2-run deficit entering the 9th inning only to win the game.... and then, they did that TWICE in a row!!!!... Very ironic, I think, actually!

I thought originally it was a good decision to give Johson & Schillinlg co-MVP awards. ...but then I remembered that I wasn't watching the NHL Playoffs were the MVP award at the end of the tournament is awarded to best overall player throughout the ENTIRE postseason... in baseball, it's just for that one series, so now I believe that Johnsons should retain the award for himself.

That said..... what are the odds that Schilling would have won the award had Rivera closed it out and the Yanks had have won the World Series yet again???? It would almost definitely be Rivera or Schilling receiving the MVP.
Old 11-05-2001, 02:35 PM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'd like to share some thoughts on the season and will do so later tonight when I have more time to do so.
Congratulations to the D'Backs and now lets fix baseball.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 03:35 PM   #8
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.
Mike Round is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Greatest Series I ever seen since 1991

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
The Yankees dynasty is finally over! Praise God and thank you. [/B]
A WS defeat in 7 in the bottom of the 9th doesn't mean those pinstripes won't be back again next year!
Stand by for an off season of retooling and another dynasty to begin. Unless the Bosox get their act together............ oh yeah - that's never gonna happen.
Mike Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:57 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm not counting the Yankees out next year, but Clemens will be one year older, McNeill will probably be gone, El Duque will be gone. True, Yankees may sign big free agent, but then the chemistry might not be right.

Boston will compete if Pedro is healthy all year. Also they must get rid of Carl Everett and sign a good hitting outfielder like Juan Gonzalez or someone close to that stature.

Last edited by bama4256; 11-05-2001 at 07:03 PM.
bama4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 06:07 PM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Default Re: Re: Greatest Series I ever seen since 1991

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Round
A WS defeat in 7 in the bottom of the 9th doesn't mean those pinstripes won't be back again next year!
Stand by for an off season of retooling and another dynasty to begin. Unless the Bosox get their act together............ oh yeah - that's never gonna happen.
I agree -- a "dynasty" takes forever to build and isn't broken up in one year.. if the Yanks don't make win the WS next year... only the ALCS the year after.... not in the playoffs at all the next year... only the ALCS the next.... and so on... then I'd say their "dynasty" is over.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:43 PM   #11
Mike Round
Sports Central Staff

Location: Home in Birmingham, England and divide at least 6 months of the year between South Carolina and New Jersey.
Mike Round is on a distinguished road

Torre and Cashman aren't interested in me-first players - that's why I doubt Barry Bonds will come to NY.
The only player they've signed with a me-first rep is Clemens - and he's been a true team player in his time at Yankee Stadium. Taking out Tino, Brosius, O'Neill and Knoblauch will break up the old guard yeah - and have a knock on effect to the remaining veterans - but Torre and Cashman will likely look to sign guys who's characters fit in the organization. Giambi is a good leader and a team player. So is Moises Alou - who's already said he has no problem playing in NYC despite turning down a trade to the Yankees last year.
Mike Round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 07:27 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Congrats to the D-Backs! What a tremendous series - I truly loved watching Randy Johnson and Schilling dual it out with the Yankee pitchers, they are such a dynamic combination. This is the first World Series I have paid a decent amount of attention to - it made me more of a fan!

On the ending of a dynasty issue, I have to concur. The Yanks have a lot of older veterans leaving for retirement this year and it might take them a year or two to get pumped back up, where they will dominate again, unfortunately.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 09:18 PM   #13
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope everyone enjoyed that. For once we got to see the New York Yankees with that blank, stunned look in the dugout as they watched another team celebrate!

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 05:44 PM   #14
jeremyn
Grizzled Veteran

jeremyn is on a distinguished road

I'll agree with quite a few people and say the Dimondbacks did an excellent job! I was glad that the Yanks didn't win. It's getting a little old seeing the same team win every year.

------------------------------------------------
Do you live in New York? Send me an e-mail for info on how to get Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Jets, Giants, Yanks, and Mets tickets. E-mail: [email protected]
jeremyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 10:13 PM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

...Just did some research.

Rivera's postseason ERA before Game 7 was 0.70.

After Game 7, it rose .21 points to 0.91.

Still good averages -- I'd take him any day in Game 7 of the World Series despite what happened in 2001.