Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 07-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Concert Thread

Since we have a movie thread I figured I'd start a concert thread. What shows have folks been going to this summer?

My fiancee and I went to see Dave Matthews on July 2nd. It was vastly different than when we saw them last fall. The show was a complete 180 in the sense that last year they focused more on knocking out songs in the catalog and this year they are focusing more on the music. I think they played about half as many songs this time around but they still went for a good 2 1/2 hours when all was said and done.

They are touring with Tim Reynolds on lead guitar this go around and he was amazing. I was somewhat surprised to see them showcase him as much as they did given he is not a full fledged member of the band but he had several guitar solos that brought the house down.

We followed that one up with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on the 12th. Steve Winwood opened the show and played for a little over an hour. We enjoyed him a lot more than we thought we would and I never realized Steve Winwood can play some guitar. He was quite strong on the couple of songs he played on.

The Heartbreakers played for just under 2 hours and pretty much lived up to expectations and sounded great. They played mostly hits from their catalog with a couple of lesser knowns thrown in.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #2
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

We were to have gone on a cruise of the Caribbean with Michael W. Smith, but were unable to make it due to some transportation problems at home (replacing an engine in my wife's car was expensive). We will see him at the Iowa State Fair in a couple of weeks.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

I saw MC MF'ing Hammer after the Rays game Saturday night. Man that was fun.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
I saw MC MF'ing Hammer after the Rays game Saturday night. Man that was fun.
Sweet!! :thumbsup2:

Was he doing old school Hammer or his more recent churchy stuff?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Sweet!! :thumbsup2:

Was he doing old school Hammer or his more recent churchy stuff?
He better have done "Can't touch this!"

:thumbup:

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
themush
Banned

Old school. I have some pics but, they didn't really turn out that well. I'll try to find them. Nothing like 30,000+ white people dancing and singing 2 Legit 2 Quit!!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
He better have done "Can't touch this!"

:thumbup:
Of course!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I've never been a real concert. :tsk:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I haven't been to a large concert in quite a while. Living in Montana will do that to you. But now that I'm in Austin, TX, I've seen many good live bands, this is one of the best places for live music if that's your thing.

Oh and go see the Red Elvises if you get a chance. A really "different" band, but one of the best concerts I've been to.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I saw Linkin Park on Sunday night. They were by far the most impressive band I've seen live in terms of energy, special effects, etc. Busta Rhymes, who's part of the Projekt Revolution tour, came out and sang "We Made It" with them. The live version puts the studio version to shame. Chris Cornell was also part of the tour and came on right before Linkin Park and he was impressive, he did stuff from Soundgarden, Audioslave, and his solo albums.

I saw Dave Matthews Band back in June when they came to Hartford. The show we got was excellent. They played a lot of the older songs (not one song from the god awful Everyday and Stand Up album). Much better than when I saw them last August.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I saw Dave Matthews Band back in June when they came to Hartford. The show we got was excellent. They played a lot of the older songs (not one song from the god awful Everyday and Stand Up album). Much better than when I saw them last August.
Yeah I thought so too. This year's show that we went to had tons more improvisation than last year. Another thing that blew me away, that I forgot to mention, is we got the second show after LeRoi Moore, one of their horn players, I think he usually plays sax and clairnet for them, got into his accident and they had Jeff Coffin from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones sitting in and he was incredible. I was amazed at how well he slid right and played with the band after having played one previous show with them the night before in Charlotte.

Another highlight when they did an amazing cover of Sledgehammer where Tim Reynolds played the keyboard/synth parts on the guitar.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to see Pearl Jam again on August 4th in NYC.

With the way my summer is going if I don't go the body count is gonna reach critical mass by day #5 of school.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I wanted to go see Pearl Jam this summer but the closest they were coming to the area was Bonnaroo in Tennessee and somewhere in South Carolina and an out of town overnight trip to see a concert really is not feasible right now.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:41 PM   #14
musicfreak313
Rookie Player

musicfreak313 is on a distinguished road

I missed Mikal Blue's gig a while back. I so wanted to see him! He worked with Colbie Caillat and Carrie Underwood. Anyways I love his album "Gold." Classic Rock with a bit of pop I think.
musicfreak313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #15
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

I saw Josh Turner on Tuesday, and it was very good, best concert I've been to this year. I also saw My Morning Jacket on Friday. They were okay. I was working so I didn't really get a chance to just enjoy the music, but what I heard they were good. I also saw Dave Matthew's Band/Willie Nelson a few weeks ago and I thought they were awful. Willie Nelson butchered all of his songs. And I didn't think Dave Matthew was any good. They sounded horrible. The one redeeming quality to the entire concert was Dave Matthews and Willie Nelson doing "Gravedigger" together.

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote