Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-05-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default "Disrespected more than any team in the league." -Tom Brady

Quote:
"I think we've been probably disrespected more than any team in the league this year," Brady told reporters this week. "I think we've been given up on by a lot of media people, a lot of fans - our own fans - other people around the league. And if there's one team that feels like they're disrespected, it's us. I don't disrespect Jacksonville. How can you disrespect a team that's 12-4? If we were 12-4, it would be different. I think people gave up on us a long time ago."
so disrespected they currently have a large margin a poll on NFL.com asking what AFC team playing this weekend has the best chance to win the Super Bowl.

so disrespected Tom Brady was SI Sportsman of the Year

right...

maybe if you didn't play medicore football all season until your schedule got easy.

maybe if you didn't get blown out at home against the Chargers AND the Colts giving up at least 40 to each. you also lost to the Panthers, Denver, and KC.

Tommy, just because you aren't a lock anymore doesn't mean it's disrespect... you just haven't won a game against a quality opponent all season, that's the reality. Disrespect means you should be respected in the first place and frankly there's no real reason you'll see the AFC Championship game this season. But there's plently of people out there who say "the Colts still need to beat the Pats in the playoffs to be the real deal" you are still getting the benefit of the doubt in a lot of people's eyes because of the rings. Chill out and come up with a better way to pump yourself up.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

It's just the same ol' crap. I don't know why anyone takes what athletes say with anything bigger than a grain of salt. Or sand, because salt tastes good.

I've been here for the past eight years and the Patriots since Belichick arrived have the same motto week after week. "No respect." It's something, like most things athletes say, to simply smirk at and ignore.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Maybe he meant no respect cuz they never have many pro-bowlers... who knows / who cares? Like Mountain Dave said: "Athletes talk garbage". All I know is Tom Brady is the best QB in the NFL and the Pats are a dynasty. I said it earlier... don't look now, but here come the champs!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 AM   #4
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Maybe he has a decent issue about him and the team being overlooked, but hey, it's the NFL. One day you're the flavor of the month, the next you're Ryan Fitzpatrick. Okay, that's a bit of a stretch, contrasting Brady with Fitzpatrick, but the NFL only cares about right now. And right now the Colts and Seahawks are all the talk. Now if the Pats take care of the Jags... then expect the Patriots lovefest to start up again.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Now if the Pats take care of the Jags... then expect the Patriots lovefest to start up again.
And Sean Salisbury will be the 1st to hop on that bandwagon!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #6
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
And Sean Salisbury will be the 1st to hop on that bandwagon!
I don't know... Woody Paige is a clinger!

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

"It's a laugh, what a laugh,
It's so stupid I've gotta laugh."

Of course Hall & Oates sang that back in 1978 - but 28 years later I'll recycle it to respond to Brady's assertion; and it's even more hilarious in light of the fact that the Patriots are going to get to play a Florida team at home in a game that starts at 8:00 PM local time.

Many years ago, Bud Grant said of the Miami Dolphins: "They may not be America's Team, but they're the league's team."

If Jack Del Rio were to say the same thing about the Patriots right now, could you honestly blame him?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Anthony,
I disagree.
The league's team resides in Indianapolis. Any suggestions otherwise are ludicrous. The league has changed rules for the last three years running to make it more possible for Manning to win. Finally, it seems they've got a chance.

The networks' team, however, is, in fact, New England. The networks like both, but are going with the recent champs because networks are front-runners. It's the nature of the business. If people are watching the Pats, whether to see them win or lose, the networks will air them.

<EDIT:> This shouldn't be a surprise, though. Robert Kraft is a member of the NFL TV committee.

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 01-05-2006 at 01:00 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

In every major sport, both college and the pros, every sngle team (and their fans) not only feels disrespected and slighted, but more or less the subject of a conspiracy to deny them their rightful position of respect. I have tried to be a "regular" on both Ohio State and Akron boards, but I can't because the "world is against us" bullcrap is just too annoying and evasive....that's why I remain a regular only here.

One statement from the original post struck out at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogsong
you just haven't won a game against a quality opponent all season, that's the reality.
Okay, so I guess Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh are very fluky playoff teams. I think Pittsburgh especially looks strong now, and Tampa Bay is at least capable of pulling a surprise with their defense, and they are 10-6 and 11-5 respectively. I don't think we can just concede as a "reality" that neither of these teams can be called "quality."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane
Okay, so I guess Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh are very fluky playoff teams. I think Pittsburgh especially looks strong now, and Tampa Bay is at least capable of pulling a surprise with their defense, and they are 10-6 and 11-5 respectively. I don't think we can just concede as a "reality" that neither of these teams can be called "quality."

That's right Kevin. Of the teams in the playoffs for the NFC, the Bucs have beat Carolina and Washington, and lost a close one to Chicago. Pittsburgh is always dangerous and could definitely be in the AFC title game in a couple of weeks.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Come on Tom, your team has won 3 Super Bowls in four years. Don't complain about being "disrespected."

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
Come on Tom, your team has won 3 Super Bowls in four years. Don't complain about being "disrespected."
Don't forget, alot of players do the disrespecting. Colts: "Patriots are ripe for the picking". Eagles: (Freddy Mitchell) "Yeah, I got something for you Ty Law".
Go ahead, let em' talk... Its like throwing rocks at a Killer African Bees nest.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
Now if the Pats take care of the Jags... then expect the Patriots lovefest to start up again.
Huh? All I have heard on ESPN and sportstalk radio since Bruschi got back is how the Pats are getting healthy for another Super Bowl run. If anything the Pats have been the most revered team in the league this year. All year long all we kept hearing from a good portion of the media was that we should not be so quick to write off the Pats as long as they made it to the playoffs.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Don't forget, alot of players do the disrespecting. Colts: "Patriots are ripe for the picking". Eagles: (Freddy Mitchell) "Yeah, I got something for you Ty Law".
Go ahead, let em' talk... Its like throwing rocks at a Killer African Bees nest.
Hah, I wouldn't take anything Freddie Mitchell says seriously. The guy is a clown.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #15
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05
Hah, I wouldn't take anything Freddie Mitchell says seriously.

Except when he corroborated Hank Fraley's account of how McNabb punked out on that last Eagles scoring drive in the Super Bowl!

And Dave: By all rights the New England game should have been scheduled for 1:00 PM on Sunday, since Boston/Foxboro/whatever is the coldest of the four host sites; and having the game on Saturday gives Byron Leftwich one less day to rehab his injured ankle. You call this a level playing field?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote