Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

SeahawKnDC is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Championship Game Picks.

Seahawks -vs- Panthers
The Seahawks will win this game for a number of reasons. The first being they are the best team in the NFC and have been since the beginning of this season. Some people may say that they had a soft schedule but so did the Colts and you dont hear any one talking about that.The Seahawk opponent wining percentage was around 42% the Colts was around 47 or 48%. Secondly the only chance the panthers have is to run the ball on the Hawks. This will not happen. The seahawks defence has been harrasing running backs all season and that wont change on Sunday. Especially with Nick Goins as the featured back. Last but not least the MVP is playing witch adds a completly new level of terror for the Panthers. If you jam the line to stop Alexander, Holmgren will turn Hasselbeck and his underrated group of recievers loose. Bad news for the Black Cats

Seahawks 27 Panthers 17

Steelers -vs- Broncos
This is the harder of the games to predict. These teams in my oppinion are more closely matched. Both of them have punishing rushing attacks and stout defences. This game will come down to Quaterback play. As much as I love Big Ben I feel that the Broncos have the secondary and pass rush to cause a few turnovers through the air. If the Broncos get 2+ turnovers and 150+ rushing yards they win.

Broncos 21 Steelers 13 :whine:

How does the rest of the forum see this weekends outcomes?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, SeahawKnDC! :wavey:

You don't waste any time, do you? This is pretty early in the week to make picks!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

I appreciate the Welcome Anthony. Is is a little early huh? Lol
Old 01-17-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

It's just that most people would wait for the injury list etc. to come out, and maybe even get an idea as to what the weather was going to be like (although I doubt the latter will be an issue in either of this week's games).
Old 01-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #5
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

You right most people probobly would wait for those other factors to announced before making predictions. But when it comes to the Seahawks I predict them to win any game that play. One of the side effects of being a fanatic i guees.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

meh. Originally I had the Panthers winning, but w/Foster going down, I may have to rethink that. I do think for Seatle to win, they have to play better than they did against the 'Skins. Carolina has a defense which is just as good, if not better, than Washington, but their O is much better. The key for Seatle, imo, is to stop Steve Smith. He is the straw that stirs the drink, and as he goes, so go the Panther offense.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Bettis scores game-winning TD in Denver for the Steelers as he returns to his hometown to win the Super Bowl in what will be his last game ever in his superb HoF career.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #8
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

Would be nice to see Bettis get a ring to cap of his carrer. But he will not get it against the Seahawks. Panthers maybee.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Not to look too far ahead, but the Steelers and Broncos would win the Super Bowl. Indeed, it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that this week's AFC Title Game is the Super Bowl.
Steve Smith is the only thing that might keep it from being so... but he and Delhomme have to get through Seattle.

The Steelers will have a slow start against the Broncos, but it won't matter because the Broncs think they just won the SB by beating the Pats.
The 'Burgh by 10, courtesy of a Plummer-to-Polamalu INT for a TD.

Seattle-Carolina is a game I'm having a hard time figuring. Seattle should win. They're the better team at most positions on the field. But, they have the coach. Smith and Fox could get it done.

Indeed, a clean sweep for the road teams this week. Let the calls for Holmgren's head return to the Pacific Northwest after the 'Hawks lose by 17.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahawKnDC
You right most people probobly would wait for those other factors to announced before making predictions. But when it comes to the Seahawks I predict them to win any game that play. One of the side effects of being a fanatic i guees.
If the Hawks play like they did this past weekend against Washington, they will lose this game. They need to be more physical against a tuff Carolina team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave
Not to look too far ahead, but the Steelers and Broncos would win the Super Bowl. Indeed, it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that this week's AFC Title Game is the Super Bowl.
Steve Smith is the only thing that might keep it from being so... but he and Delhomme have to get through Seattle.
The AFC Champ game has been the SB for past few years....
Old 01-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
The AFC Champ game has been the SB for past few years....
You are incorrect, sir. Lest we forget, the Tampa Bay Bucs were the SB winner three years ago! The proper words for the sentence above should be "couple of years"

Go 'Hawks. PLEASE, PLEASE beat Carolina!!!!:lol:
Old 01-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
You are incorrect, sir. Lest we forget, the Tampa Bay Bucs were the SB winner three years ago! The proper words for the sentence above should be "couple of years"

He was implying that the AFC Champ game has been more exciting and more worthy of watching than the Super Bowl. Or at least that's what I think he meant...
Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuerbin88
He was implying that the AFC Champ game has been more exciting and more worthy of watching than the Super Bowl. Or at least that's what I think he meant...
Whoops, my bad. I thought he meant the winner of the AFC title game won the Super Bowl in the last few years...........
Old 01-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I'm pulling for my neighbor John Fox and the Panthers (my adopted hometown/secondary favorite NFL team now), but I think they are too one-dimensional. With Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster out, and the Seahawks probably locking down Steve Smith, I don't like their chances on the road. So Seahawks win.

Next, I like the Broncos narrowly winning. I think the Steelers were incredibly lucky to survive Indy, and the Broncos have a better offense.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970

They were more exciting games (although the Pats/Panthers game was good). But yes, I remember the Bucs... but past few years AFC games are/were...
Denver / Pitt
Pats / Pitt
Pats / Indy
All were/are winners. I'm rooting for the Panthers, but AFC just looks too tuff. NFC has been so weak for a while now.