Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road
Default New MNF announcing team?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121

Does anything really have to be said? I really cannot picture Tony Kornheiser actually calling a football game. Sure he won't be doing all the talking but he will still be there! I can't believe they are letting Joe Theismann back either.

This is a terrible MNF line-up.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans100
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121

Does anything really have to be said? I really cannot picture Tony Kornheiser actually calling a football game. Sure he won't be doing all the talking but he will still be there! I can't believe they are letting Joe Theismann back either.

This is a terrible MNF line-up.
Couldn't agree with you more. I can't stand Kornheiser's whiney rants on PTI, so now that he will be on a bigger stage it will be unbearable. And Theismann, what else is there to say - yuk!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Titans100
Vince Young ROY

Titans100 is on a distinguished road

Did you see on the little in the corner that asks you to vote? The total comes to like 54% NO and 46% YES. (this is when I voted at 12:15 p.m.)

That seems about right, though it could be a little bit more negative.

Fav Teams:
Tennessee Titans
LA Lakers
Pittsburgh Pirates
Titans100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

While I never agree with whatever comes out of Theisman's mouth, he does have that "spunk" or "zork" or "carisma" whatever you wanna call it. Can't say I'm happy to see him back, but I can see why they kept him. As far a TK, this is gonna be weird. I can't picture him doing play-by-play either.
Wow, never thought I'd say I'm gonna miss Paul Mac. I did like it when he and Theisman argued - it was funny. Agree, this is a bad, bad MNF line-up
Old 02-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Could be worse. They could rehire Dennis Miller. (Is that horse dead yet?)

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Hey, can't be worse than the former ESPN crew. I'm a Skins fan, but Theisman gets old, real quick during a game.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Kornheiser is pretty funny on PTI, but I'm not sure how he will fare on MNF. He seems out of place on there/

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

They should have tried Mike and Mike I think it would have been interesting to see and probablly more succesful for the network. I think the more important thing here is that this my signify the end of Al Michaels working for ABC. I think he will rejoin Madden and go to NBC.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

As annoying as Theisman is, the play-by-play guy for the Sunday Night Games (don't know his name, but you guys know who I'm talking about) fails to understand his role thus making him even more annoying. In the old days, the play-by-play guy was known as being "straight" (no, nothing to do with what goes on in the bedroom). He reported the happenings in a factual manner without putting emotion into the call. Now I don't mind a little "color" out of my "straight" guys (that is what the "color" guys are for though), but this guy dramatizes every play like it's the last second of the Super Bowl.

To top it off, after he gets done with his drama, Theisman chimes in to show us how big his balls are.

This is why I went through a big stage watching games on mute. Bad thing is, you can't help but feel you might miss something important if you don't have the sound on.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Mike Patrick was ESPN's play-by-play on Sunday Night. You ever try muting games and instead out the radio on? Only problem is, sometimes you may get a 2-5 second delay and that ruins it.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
As annoying as Theisman is, the play-by-play guy for the Sunday Night Games (don't know his name, but you guys know who I'm talking about) fails to understand his role thus making him even more annoying.
Buckeye, you are referring to Mike Patrick. I completely agree with you (amazing isn't it? ) He would just totally raise his voice and...pause...after...ev-er-y...word to place emphasis. Incredibly annoying. I will never forget how he and Theismann got their panties in a wad during the TB/Washington game over the unsportsmanlike penalty call against Sean Taylor, when all you could see was the TB player shoving Taylor, not realizing Taylor spit in the TB player's face. They groused about it for 10 minutes!!! MORONS!!!
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Steve...

Listen to the radio and watch tv at the same time? Sounds like work.

suedon...

That's exactly what I'm talking about with Mike Patrick (I must have blocked his name from memory due to disgust). Good example too of their idiotic behavior. I recall that play vividly. They had that ref hung before the jury collected any evidence.

On us in agreement...

Better check the windows and make sure I still got the snow on the ground and you still got the palm trees and not vice versa...if so...we're definitely in the bizarro world now.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Steve...
But well worth the comfort of not having to listen to people like Joe Buck, Mike Patrick, Dickie V... etc (see our "annoucers we hate thread" ) I don't know how you could "mute" games and sit thru them. I would totally get the feeling I'm missing s'thing. In all honesty, I can tolerate these guys, and sometimes I find it funny - or its a laugh to make fun of them w/ whoever your watching the game with.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Steve...

Plus, I didn't spend all my money on a High-Def surround sound system to have to flip it over to radio because I don't like the announcer(s).

I was kind of surprised by this move as the company line has been that it would be Micheals and Joe T. doing the games for the past month or so. I also see where Micheals was taken off of NBA telecasts as well so I guess that means ABC/ESPN is cutting him loose so he can go be with Madden on Sunday Nights.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
I guess that means ABC/ESPN is cutting him loose so he can go be with Madden on Sunday Nights.
I heard the same thing.

I'll miss Al Michaels on Monday nights, but I really don't think this team is all that bad. I like Turico, as he's a no BS kinda guy but still fun to listen to, and I enjoy Kornheiser. Theismann....well, at least he's not Maguire.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote