Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
jeff4e
Rookie Player

jeff4e is on a distinguished road
Question Best sports taunts of all time?

I'm compiling a list of the best sports taunts ever. They can be sport, team, or player specific. For example..."yeah, but the braves will always beat the mets."

Post your best taunts here!

When I publish the list i'll mak sure to give note of authorship to all contributors.

Cheers!

JJ
jeff4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Best sports taunt I can remember is on this video of the 1993 Phillies I have. They are playing Atlanta...in Atlanta. Larry Anderson was a Phillies relief pitcher back then and he is in the dugout standing next to some young player (KEVIN STOCKER, maybe) and this group of really little kids, real little, are coming by the dugout to do some stuff on the field and Anderson is just going "the Braves are gonna lose, the Braves are gonna lose". I loved it.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

When the Celtics beat the Lakers in Game 7 of the 84 Finals at Boston Garden, M.L. Carr mocked Magic Johnson's "finger point stare down" as the clock wound down. Not exactly my favorite moment being a Laker fan, but the taunt was pretty audacious.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

As sung at football grounds all over England:

"You only sing when you're winning!"

I guess you might not get it.... but trust me... classic.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I love this question.

It's been done many times, but I love it whenever team A's band, who is blowing out team B, starts playing team B's fight song.

I don't remember who said it (probably a boxer), but I once heard, "When I'm done with you, I'm gonna hafta roll over and light a cigarette."

Larry Holmes once said of Muhammad Ali, "He can't carry my jockstrap in a suitcase." I've stolen that a few times.

In the closing moments of an Akron/NIU basketball game, where Akron was up big, the fans started yelling, "Just! Like! Foot!Ball!" in the "Let's! Go! (syllable!) (syllable!") cadence.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

This year when Akron played at Kent State in b-ball all the KSU kids wore t-shirts reading "screw the Roo" (in response to Akron's "fear the Roo" campaign).

Not one for your side KB, but a helluva taunt.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:39 AM   #7
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Worst taunt I've ever scored..."We Scored First"...by the Wisconsin fans in Michigan Stadium while Michigan was thumping the Badgers. The kicker? The chant could be heard throughout the quiet stadium that was only quiet because a Michigan player was lying on the field injured.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
This year when Akron played at Kent State in b-ball all the KSU kids wore t-shirts reading "screw the Roo" (in response to Akron's "fear the Roo" campaign).

Not one for your side KB, but a helluva taunt.
Psssh. "Golden Showers! Golden Showers!" That's what we say about Kent.

Plus, during the Akron/Kent game at Kent this year (hoops), a bunch of Akron fans snuck in wearing Kent t-shirts, told the ushers they were from the Kent-Stark Campus, and not only were they put in the student section, but they got a nice greeting on the PA ("We welcome our visitors from our Stark Campus..."). Then the Akron students took off their t-shirts revealing their Akron shirts underneath and went nuts. Michael Reghi was calling the game for Fox Sports Ohio and he GLOWINGLY described and acknowledged the prank (that's how I know about it).

The T-Shirts said something like:

Can't...beat us in football.
Can't...beat us in basketball (although they did they did that day...Akron returned the favor in the return game).
Can't...beat us in the classroom.
Can't...protect your student section.

WE ARE CAN'T STATE! GO ZIPS!

Kent is absolutely no match for Akron when it comes to pranks and taunts.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

MLS' D.C. United plays at RFK and they have several fan organizations; Barra Brava being the largest although the Screaming Eagles is a close second, followed by La Norte. All three fan organizations support D.C. United and all three taunt other MLS teams at RFK... some of the signs they have printed up and display on bed sheets at RFK Stadium are legendary...some are reproduced at their websites!!!