Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-06-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Mark Is Mum...

Is anyone really surprised???

Report: McGwire avoiding MLB's investigation

Former All-Star slugger Mark McGwire is not cooperating with former Sen. George Mitchell's performance-enhancing drugs investigation, according to a report in the New York Daily News.

An unnamed source told the newspaper that McGwire has flatly refused to meet with Mitchell and his investigators.

"They're getting no cooperation from McGwire," the source reportedly said. "He wants nothing to do with this. He doesn't want to talk to them. He doesn't want his people to talk to them."

The legal supplement androstenedione was found in McGwire's locker in 1998 when he broke Roger Maris' season home run record. When asked about steroids during a congressional hearing in 2005, McGwire said, "I am not here to talk about the past."

Mitchell, the former senate majority leader, was appointed in March by MLB commissioner Bud Selig to lead an investigation about steroids in the sport.

Federal prosecutors recently investigated tax evasion and perjury charges against Barry Bonds. But Mitchell, according to The Daily News, can neither issue a subpoena that would compel McGwire to talk, nor threaten to put him in jail.

"He wants no part of their probe," the News' source reportedly said.

It appears that McGwire has distanced himself from baseball. He rarely visits big-league ballparks, and has turned down requests by the St. Louis Cardinals to become a hitting instructor.

The newspaper says McGwire did make a donation to the Taylor Hooton foundation, which was established to educate kids, parents and coaches about the dangers of steroids and reduce the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Hooton's father, Don, testified at the same 2005 congressional hearing with McGwire and has asked the former slugger to speak out on the potential dangers of performance-enhancing drugs.

But McGwire has reportedly refused to make any public appearances or public service announcements.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5848686
Old 08-06-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Then when they get to Sosa he'll claim he doesn't speak English.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Yea....Sosa figured by goin' where there's no zipcodes, he'd be safe...

Speakin' of Salsa Sammy, he was quoted as sayin' he should be considered the greatest Cub, even greater than Mr.Cub Ernie Banks....:lol:

Proof that the testi's aren't the only thing shrunk by steroids...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:21 AM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

My Spanish is a little rusty considering I haven't taught in California in a few years but I'll give it a try...

"Me llamo es Sammy: Senor oso pequeno."

translation: "My name is Sammy: Mr. Cub."

Actually, "oso pequeno" means "small bear." I don't know the word for "cub."

Wouldn't mind a little help here. LOL
Old 08-06-2006, 02:26 AM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

:lol:

Can't help ya, Buck...

My Spanish consists only of: No speeka Englayssss...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Then when they get to Raffy he'll have a needle stickin' outta his ass with Miguel Tejada's prints on it.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:50 AM   #7
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

& Raffy sayin' he doesn't know how Tejada got back there since he's never knowingly took steroids....
Old 08-06-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

This is very simple to figure out. The guy used performing enhancing drugs.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 AM   #9
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

McGwire is quite simply a coward. Be honest and educate young athletes about the dangers steroids and how it breaks your body down in the long run, that is why your career ended after all isn't it? Maybe once the writers block Big Mac out of the Hall of Fame he'll come clean and do the right thing since the Hall is the sole reason he's been in hiding save a tearful embarrasing moment in front of Congress.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Why would Big Mac get involved. Last time he did, he ended up looking like a jerk and possibly a cheat. I don't blame him for keeping out of the limelight.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:28 AM   #11
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

He looked like a jerk and cheat because he didn't give the public any other choice. Also McGwire said at the Senate hearing that he wants to be an anti-steroid advocate? How exactly? By avoiding the subject?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Yes, he said that before all the hoopla surrounding his appearence. Like I said, I can't blame him for wanting to stay out of the limelight.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I guess my question is what purpose is this commission supposed to serve? Is it intended to clean up the game or just be a witch hunt/smear campaign on guys suspected of doing something nefarious? I guess I am not clear on how McGwire talking to these guys is supposed to help clean up the game when he has been out of the game for almost five years.

Shouldn't they be focusing on weeding out the Jason Grimsley's of the world and focus on current players suspected of using? Seeing as Raffy claims he was given a 'B-12' shot from Tejada shouldn't they be looking into what Tejada is doing?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote