Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
bigbuck
Rookie Player

bigbuck is on a distinguished road
Default roughing call

help!!!! in a game last night the quarterback pitched to the running back on third down. the running back ran three strides and punted the ball. the persuing defender tackled the running back at the same time as he was dropping the ball to punt. roughing the kicker was called giving the kicking team a first down. how is the defender based on a pitch and run by the back supposed to know its a punt?
bigbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Samething happened in the USF game today on 3rd down, and roughing was called! It's my understanding once the rb in this case crosses the LOS or gets outside the hash he's fair game.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
jway32
Rookie Player

jway32 is on a distinguished road

The rule is this: any player, no matter the position where they lined up at, can be a passer, kicker, etc. If the QB on Team A throws a lateral to the WR and the WR throws a pass down the field, the WR then becomes the passer, not the QB, that is why the penalty is roughing the passer, not roughing the QB. The same rule applies to a punting situation, the penalty is roughing the kicker, not roughing the punter. As far as the hashes and LOS is concerned, a player can be out side of hashes and roughing can still be callled. However, once Player A has crossed the line of scrimage, roughing can no longer be called. The only call I can think of in that situation (where the player has crossed the LOS) would be a personal foul, unsportsmanlike conduct. Hope this helps, any other questions?
jway32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

That makes sense jway. I think that rule should be tweeked a bit though. What's to stop more teams trying that on 3rd and long in hopes of receiving a cheap first down?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Nothing. The play makes some sense when you have the ball at about the 40 with 3rd and 20 to go. Many teams don't consider things like this to be good sportsmanship, however.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
jway32
Rookie Player

jway32 is on a distinguished road

It is a risky play for 2 reasons. 1st, (pointing out the obvious) if you punt on 3rd, then you lose a chance to convert for a 1st. The 2nd, and this was called by the head official in the game I was refing on Friday night, if the punter holds on to the ball for an extended period of time, in an attempt to draw a roughing call, the official can call an unsportsmanlike on the punter. I have seen it called 3 times in my life and each time, it was very obvious what was going on. This is the least likely of all calls in the book but it is in the book.
jway32 is offline   Reply With Quote