Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-09-2001, 03:45 PM   #1
piet
Rookie Player

piet is on a distinguished road
Default Nervous Yankee Fan

I am offically scared of the A's this time round. Last year, they took us to 5, and probably should have won if Terrence Long hadn't misplayed Tino's fly to center. Gil Heredia started games 1 and 5 last year, with Hudson Zito and Appier only getting a game a piece. The reason why is they were fighting for a playoff spot with the M's last year, so they had to use all their good starters during the last games of the regular season. This year they clinched so long ago, they could set up their rotation exactly how they would want to. With Mulder, Hudson, Zito and Lidle going 1-4, they are probably the only ones equipped with matching the Yankees rotation of Clemens, Pettite, Mussina and El Duque. The Yankees do have the better bullpen, but with Damon, Giambi, Dye, Tejada and Chavez leading the way, the offense really isn't even close. Of course, the postseason usually boils down to pitching, and with the Yankees speed they have the ability to manufacture more runs than the A's can, which could be a difference maker. I think the A's are every bit as good as the M's and Yanks, possibly even a little better. I am offically nervous. Any reason I shouldn't be?
piet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 04:13 PM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the boards, piet! :wavey:

I agree with you that the Yanks should be worried. I think that the A's have a VERY good chance of getting past the Yankees. And that would make me very happy.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 06:35 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nervous Yankee Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by piet
I am offically nervous. Any reason I shouldn't be?
Yes, there ARE reasons you shouldn't be nervous.

While numerous teams have played better than the Yankees in the regular season.. well... that regular season means nothing now. Throw away Seattle's MLB-tying 116 wins.... put in the garbage Oakland's top MLB record since June 22. What matters is what you show up and do come October/November, and even though some teams may appear to be better on paper, the Yanks have all that experience from winning the past three World Series, and that's something a lot of the teams just getting into the playoffs for the first time or second or third time in the past few years don't have yet.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 10:55 PM   #4
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

While most records don't mean anything, I do think the regular season has an effect on the post season. You need to have some kind of roll going into the postseason I believe. The team needs to be competing up until about 3 or 4 games, enough time to rest and set your rotation. It's seemed to work for the Braves this year. In past years, they'd clinch the division with a month to go and then struggle in the playoffs. You can't just flick on a switch and win.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 02:31 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Piet, I'd also like to welcome you to the boards. The Yankees should be very afraid of the A's this season. The A's are playing like a team on a mission and that mission appears to be to win the WS before the team is broken up.
Where will Giambi (Jason) be next season? How about Jermaine Dye and Johnny Damon?
If the A's can stay together, they could become a dynasty, again.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 03:56 PM   #6
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

You should definitly be nervous now. The Yanks got spanked in their own house and now got to Oakland down 2-0.

Hopefully Steinbrennor fires Torre and Clevlenad gets him. That would be cool.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 04:45 PM   #7
ryence
Rookie Player

ryence is on a distinguished road

piet,

How are you feeling now? The Yanks have made quite a comeback in this series and I like their chances tonight even with a somewhat injured Clemens.

Should be a great finish to a great series.
ryence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 05:02 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Yeah, you must be feeling a little more confident now that the Yanks took both games in Oakland, but I can imagine you're still nervous!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 06:37 PM   #9
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re: Nervous Yankee Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
While numerous teams have played better than the Yankees in the regular season.. well... that regular season means nothing now. Throw away Seattle's MLB-tying 116 wins.... put in the garbage Oakland's top MLB record since June 22. What matters is what you show up and do come October/November, and even though some teams may appear to be better on paper, the Yanks have all that experience from winning the past three World Series, and that's something a lot of the teams just getting into the playoffs for the first time or second or third time in the past few years don't have yet.
Boy, am I smart or what!????.... Sure, the Yanks haven't won the series yet, but after Games 3 and 4, which I did watch (both in almost their whole entirety), I think we can see how the Yanks have the upper edge in almost every playoff series before it begins... injuries or not... because of their experience and, in this series, the A's inexperience.

Also, ryence, if Clemens is "somewhat injured," he probably won't play.... like Torre said before Game 4, "Hernendez woudln't be playing unless he's 100%," and I'd imagine that would go the same for Roger Clemens.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 07:10 PM   #10
ryence
Rookie Player

ryence is on a distinguished road

SC-Lee,

Clemens will be going. He hurt his hamstring in game 1 and came out the inning after. He's been in New York resting the last two days while the rest of the team was taking care of business in Oakland.

It sounds like he is all ready to go and he would be starting even if he wasn't 100%...the season is resting on this game. Can't be holding anything back.
ryence is offline   Reply With Quote