Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 02-07-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Cherry debate.

Anyone find anything out-of-the-ordinary with the big debate on what he said on January 24?? I didn't... he's been saying this kinda stuff all along, so why is it such a big deal now??? They say he should just stick to hockey... well, on the statement that is raising all this debate, he WAS talking about hockey!!!!!!! I think this federal investigation is a waste of time. He shouldn't put up with the CBC and their 7-second delay, and go to another network, I say. Why didn't this come up when he was talking about Montreal booing the American anthem, or when he spent an entire 6 minutes critizing Chretien and the government for not supporting the US invasion in Iraq (which he was 100% correct about, BTW)?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

This is a joke, and you couldn't be more right Lee...why go after him NOW? You've supposedly let him "get away" with all these other different comments in the past, but they've chose to target him now. Do I agree with everything Grapes says? Heck no, as a matter of fact I think it was last week, or the week before, when he said visors were a waste of time. Do I agree with that? Of course not, but CC is Cherry's soap box.

What I love though is how they are trying to paint Cherry out to be some sort of bad guy. He is genuine, sincere, and a good guy. I think what CBC is doing is an absolute joke and once again they are playing with fire here. First they almost let Ron McLean walk, now they are putting Cherry on a leash. They will be sorry if he walks.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

A side note, but I heard somewhere in this debate that Cherry makes $700,000/year?.... I thought MacLean made $1.1 million and Cherry was making over $2!!!!!!!!! I love Cherry, he's been right on every single thing he's ever said (with the lone exception of the Sens moving after 2001), but no way he is worth more than MacLean.

Anyway, it's a crap debate. If this news ever gets to the States, they would kill themsleves laughing that something like this makes it to our national legislature
Old 02-08-2004, 02:14 AM   #4
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
..... If this news ever gets to the States, they would kill themsleves laughing that something like this makes it to our national legislature [/B]
hahahaha ---

No..... really.

Most people don't judge the people of other countries by the actions of their government. Wait a minute....maybe they do. I don't, but then I'm not like most people. I wonder... Do Canadiens in general, have an opinion of people in the States based on the actions of the U.S. government?(Please say no, please say no, please say no.)

:-)

A censored Don Cherry would mean messing with the hockey gods....which is a dangerous business!

Last edited by Karen M; 02-08-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I was JOKING.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #6
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
I was JOKING.
.....and, do you think Canadiens in general have an opinion of people in the States based of the actions of our government? ( I know you like to keep it about hockey here, but you did open the door with your comment and opinion about Chretien and the war in Iraq)
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:29 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

According to this report, the French have a reason to be upset at Cherry:

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...3-f393d6922231

Of the 230 NHLers wearing visors, there are more Ontarioan NHLers wearing visors than Quebecers: 26 to 25, though the Montreal Canadiens have more players wearing visors than any other NHL club. However, the slim majority of NHLers wearing visors are, as Cherry claimed, European, with 118 of them wearing visors.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:26 PM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well, today's CC was certainly interesting.... he was left alone with the camera focused entirely on him for about 40 seconds while MacLean was off-camera finding a picture, haha... that was the scarriest 40 seconds of TV ever I think! ...but I am glad he didn't apologize to anyone and hardly mentioned the incident at all.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:55 AM   #9
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

I missed it, unfortunately, but I am surprised there was no mention of it. I would have expected Grapes to touch on it off the bat.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

No way, Brian!!! He respects himself way too much; he'd never back down from anything he says and that didn't surprise me one bit, that he didn't mention it.

You can see it with RealPlayer at http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/