Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-28-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default 2009 HOF Nominees

This is the one of the strongest incoming classes I can remember. First-year nominees include Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, John Randle, Darren Woodson, and Brian Mitchell.

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story?...s&confirm=true
http://www.profootballhof.com/enshri...?story_id=2915

The only recent class that might have been as strong was 2006, with Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, Thurman Thomas, and Reggie White.

The next step is to narrow the list of Modern nominees from 133 to 25.

My personal list of 25 to move on:

Kenny Anderson, Terrell Davis, Brian Mitchell, Cris Carter, Mark Bavaro, Todd Christensen, Shannon Sharpe, Dermontti Dawson, Russ Grimm, Bob Kuechenberg, Randall McDaniel, Chris Doleman, John Randle, Bruce Smith, Robert Brazile, Kevin Greene, Steve Atwater, Kenny Easley, Lester Hayes, Rod Woodson, Steve Tasker, Don Coryell, Clark Shaughnessy, Ed Sabol, Paul Tagliabue
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Looking at the list of 125....if you would have asked me if those quarterbacks were already in the HOF, I would have guess 'yes' to most of them.

Chuckling at Larry Centers even making the 125.

Todd Christensen isn't in the HOF? "Too Tall" Jones isn't? Joe Klecko? Derrick Thomas? I know you wouldn't want to base a HOF on one game (or else Flipper Anderson would be enshrined), but didn't he have about 28 sacks in a game? And wasn't he pretty dominant besides? Did they not see fit to make him a beast on Tecmo Bowl? Doesn't he garner some sympathy vote for being dead?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Welcome back, Kevin.

First Nate, then Keith (bama4256), now you.

Awesome to have you three back - and maybe you can help us out in the picking contests (I've already been doing research on this week's games, and it might be the best week for picking games so far this year).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Hi Kevin. Good to have you back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
Chuckling at Larry Centers even making the 125.
Centers obviously doesn't deserve to get in, but he deserved to get nominated. The guy had 800 catches, give him a break. More generally, most guys who last 14 years deserve to get nominated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
Todd Christensen isn't in the HOF? "Too Tall" Jones isn't? Joe Klecko? Derrick Thomas? I know you wouldn't want to base a HOF on one game (or else Flipper Anderson would be enshrined), but didn't he have about 28 sacks in a game? And wasn't he pretty dominant besides? Did they not see fit to make him a beast on Tecmo Bowl? Doesn't he garner some sympathy vote for being dead?
Too Tall isn't close. He's been eligible for almost 15 years, and he's never even been a finalist. Good enough player, but not a serious HOF contender.

Derrick Thomas has been a finalist -- four times. He's a very serious candidate at an under-represented position (OLB). Thomas was a superlative pass rusher, but that was all he did. He didn't play the run well, and he didn't play the pass at all. He rushed the passer almost exclusively. I don't think there's a strong argument for taking him ahead of Kevin Greene, who was nearly as good a pass rusher (3rd all-time in career sacks, led the league twice to Thomas's once), but played longer and was more well-rounded. Bob Brazile, who you probably don't remember, is also more deserving than Thomas.

I imagine Thomas does get some sympathy for being dead, but all these guys are going to die eventually, and sympathy shouldn't affect this. Besides, if anything, I'd rather favor people who are still alive and can appreciate the honor rather than those who have already passed on.

I suspect Thomas will get in one day. I don't think this is his year.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote