Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Albert Pujols = classless

Figured what the hell, I'd steal DublinMike's awesome thread title.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2680495

Quote:
The St. Louis Cardinals' slugger is upset he lost out to Philadelphia's Ryan Howard for the National League MVP award, saying Wednesday the honor should go to someone on a playoff team.

"I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP," Pujols said in Spanish at a news conference organized by the Dominican Republic's sports ministry.
Athletes have said many dumb things, but, uh, this may be the dumbest. He says this as the PHILLIES WON TWO MORE GAMES THAN THE CARDINALS. Had the Phillies been in the WORST DIVISION IN BASEBALL, they would have made the damn playoffs. Probably would have won 90 games, even.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:24 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Meh, he is only saying what a significant portion of the media already believes. Truth be told the Phillies only went 20-17 against the Central this year which is not exactly an overwhelming record. They had a better record against the other two divisions.

Say what you want about the 'Worst Division in baseball' fact is the Cards won the Series and that is all that matters.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Winning the playoffs is more about runs, though. There is a reason why the playoff games themselves aren't factored in to MVP voting.

The vote is based on the regular season and in the regular season, the Phillies were, at the very least, AS GOOD and on the same level of the Cardinals.

I would hope that the Phillies would have a better record against the East because that is where most of their games are played.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Huh, doesn't sound like Pujols' character - I guess his bitterness got the best of him.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I guess you're right, Steve. Pujols always seems like a reasonable guy to me. I've never met him, but know people that know him pretty well. This sort of statement is out of character for him.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #6
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

This quote caught my eye even more:

"I thought we were going to sign Soriano, but it wasn't possible. We also intended to trade for him during the season, but the Nationals wanted too much for him," Pujols said.

Ha. He's now in on GM decisions, eh? (Probably heard about it from Soriano, but still)

Anyways, I can't blame a guy too much for speaking his honest opinion, though this wasn't very tactful
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

He didn't get icing on his cake. That's all I see it as.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

A person's true colors will eventually surface.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Well on PTI today they reported that Albert is "sick to his stomach" over his comments and will appologize to Howard. I think this is the Pujols we all know - he said it, he feels bad, and now he's owning up to it. A class act.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

It appears his comments were "heat of the moment" comments. I figured he would come clean and accept the fact that Howard had a better season than he did. He has the ring (or will have), and that should suffice for now.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote