Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Kobe Is God !!!!!!!!!

Kobe scores 42 against Denver last night and sits out the 4th quarter and tonight at Denver, he has 36,at halftime !!!!!!!
Plus, the Lakers are up by the 32.

Time to fill out the championship banner order form again...
Old 02-12-2003, 11:43 PM   #2
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

lol..............dont jinx them '78.

Kobe is playing at an unbelievable level the last month. Can he keep this up? We all know he was really banged up early, especially the ankle problems he was having. But ever since he got healthy he has gone beyond what I thought even he was capable of. Its nice to see his explosiveness back.................did you see that one baseline move tonight late in the 2nd, quick explosive dunk right past 2 guys, hes looking very good.

But dont jinx them '78, I was very encouraged the other night when Shaq was talking about wanting to get 5 in a row, that let me know where there mindset is.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

Doesn't everybody pound on the Nuggets?
Old 02-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #4
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Well Kobe now has had 35 points or more in 7 straight games, and they didnt play the Nuggets in all those games.

Only Jordan has had more consecutive games of 35 or more. He did it 10 times in a row.

Kobe now has 50, with 3 minutes to go...............in the 3rd.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:50 AM   #5
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't go so far as to call Kobe a god, but he is one helluva player.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Old 02-13-2003, 03:03 AM   #6
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Shaq is God. Kobe has been amazing but Shaq brings the Championships home.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:06 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Kobe is making a case for himself. 51 points last night in 3 quarters. given they were playing the Nuggets but that is still impressive no doubt. Kobe's no god but if he keeps this rate up he'll be getting the MVP and Shaq will get nothin'
Old 02-13-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Well, Kobe finished with 51 and sat out the 4th quarter !!!!!
He has 93 points in his last 6 quarters of play !!!!!!!!

I saw all his highlights on Sportscenter #47. The move you talked about was SPECTACULAR

I know Kobe's not god, and I'll try to avoid a jinx #47...LOL. Just happy to see this kind of domination.

ESPN is already talking about him for MVP, which is rediculous. Leave it to ESPN to stir up stuff that is junk at this point. The fact remains the Lakers are still only 26-23 and they don't give MVP to players on teams that don't finish either first or second ( Jordan's Bulls in 88 I believe). Unless Kobe led a charge, and went truly nuts, and the Lakers finished something like 52-30, AND finished in the top 3 in the West, then I would say, consideration is valid.

If they don't finish in the top 3 in the West, giving him MVP would be a COMPLETE injustice to Tim Duncan, provided his Spurs stay on course and finish with atleast the second or third best record in the West.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Shaq's irreplaceable, but Kobe is putting himself in the same category. Everyone says Shaq is The Man, but who does the ball go to when the game is on the line? He's my MVP right now, Mr. Kobe Bryant, especially if the Lakers keep winning.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #10
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Shaq's irreplaceable, but Kobe is putting himself in the same category. Everyone says Shaq is The Man, but who does the ball go to when the game is on the line? He's my MVP right now, Mr. Kobe Bryant, especially if the Lakers keep winning.
Kobe get's the ball because Shaq cannot be played 1 on 1. Which means 2-3 guy's are always on him so that leaves Mr. Bryant open on the court with space to do what he wants. There is no question Kobe is a spectacular player, but when you have Shaq on your team you'll be open. My MVP award still goes to KG.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Kobe would be the leading candidate for the MVP up to this point in the season. You can throw in names like T-Mac, Duncan, Garnett, or Dirk, but Kobe has been putting on Jerry West like performances as of late. Jerry West was the last Laker to have ten 40 point games in one season.....Kobe makes another one on that list.

#47, you still think T-Mac has the better potential to so-called fill the Jordan Idol image over Kobe? Close call as we discussed before, but I think Kobe has a much better killer instinct compared to T-Mac. And we talked about killer instinct yesterday...what is your take on this now?

Joey
Old 02-13-2003, 03:33 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Good to see Kobe was dropping 40 a night without Shaq and they were winning. Wait, he wasn't? Give me a break. Iverson, T-Mac or even Ray Allen could do what Kobe is doing with a healthy-motivated Shaq in the lineup.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:45 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

KG is a good choice Brian. Problem is, T-Wolves are going to have to win a few more games down the stretch here to make this a reality. MVP ALMOST always goes to a guy who's team wins their division, and the other times, the MVP's team was second in their division. This second place finish for the MVP'S team has happened a handfull of times in NBA history, most recently Jordan in 88. His Bulls finished second behind Detroit in the Central, yet he still won it, and beat out guys like Magic, Isiah, and Bird. All of whom's teams finished first. Not to say Jordan didn't deserve it, cause he did ( if memory serves, he had his best stats ever that year), but KG is no MJ.

If things pan out like they are going in the NBA, I would still say Duncan is a good choice. Ben Wallace is actually VERY valuable to Detroit, but he isn't going to get it, and we all know this. Kidd's another guy up there and so is Webber, but I like Duncan. He's doing more with less.

Flat out, Lakers don't have enough wins, and proably won't get to enough for Shaq or Kobe to get it. As a Laker fan, I would be PISSED to see one of them get it, because I don't think either one of them deserve it, atleast not this year. You have to WIN ball games. And if the NBA uses the "ESPN hype" theory to get Shaq or Kobe the MVP while the Lakers finish with under 50 wins, the league will be severely tarnished in my view.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:46 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Agree Doug. Kobe can drop 40 anytime. But history shows he drops 40 AND WINS when Shaq is down low running over people like a tank.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #15
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think there is anyone more valuable to his team then Kevin Garnett is with the T-Wolves. This guy get's no love and is probably the best all around player the game has and not to mention came out of high school with a great attitude and keeps his nose clean. Now, if you look at Minnesota's team record they're 31-20 and only 7.5 games back in the Midwest conference and sitting on the 5th spot in the West which is very impressive. I also have to say I like guy's like Tim Duncan and J-Kidd, but the problem is the Spurs and Nets have pretty decent players behind those superstars where Minnesota has no one but KG. Tracy McGrady doesn't rank as a MVP candidate since his team is actually below .500, Kobe has been a monster but you have to recognize that he has Shaq and like Doug said, anyone could win and put up the numbers he has (taking nothing away from his talent)
Closed Thread