Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 01-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #1
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road
Default New CBA

Do you think that the NHL will get anything changed that will help them?

The players have complained that the NHL sucks, but when the time comes will they really give up their multi-million dollar contracts?

Will a salary Cap really help the NHL? Or does the NHL also need a shared revenue system similar to what the NFL has?

Answer the questions!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

The NHL absolutely needs a salary cap, and I don't care and certinally don't want to hear anymore players come out and try to put this spin on how a cap wouldn't work. I look at the NFL right now, the best professional sports league on the planet. They just get it. Call it parody, call it mediocrity, call it whatever you want but the fact of the matter is that it works. The NFL has the most amount of fans out of any league and it's because every year every team has it's fair share of optimism. The NHL has the potential to get back on track, and it starts with enforcing a cap as far as I'm concerned.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

But will a Salary Cap alone be enough? All it will do is limit the amount big market spenders will be able to use. It will stop big market teams from buying their players, but how will it get small market teams into the green.

The NFL works because people want to watch it. Where are most sports fans, or anyone for that matter, on Thanksgiving day? They are sitting in front of their television watching the Detroit Lions take on whoever. The NHL doesn't have this. Most fans only watch their own team.

The NHL needs a bigger television contract and a shared revenue system. With a salary cap alone, I don't think the NHL will do anything.

They need to get it right, and now.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:31 AM   #4
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I think that a cap is more than enough, and it would work effectively. If you look at the NFL, the biggest reason why people watch is because no matter what type of market you are in, you can tune in and watch your team and be filled with optimism. The guy in Green Bay, Wisconsin has as much chance of going to the Super Bowl as the guy in New York, it makes the league fun to watch and gains interest nation wide.

I think the NHL has too many teams in the first place, but I'll tell you what, if you put a team like Columbus or Nashville in a situation where they are on the same playing field in terms of money going out and money going in, these teams would draw and there would be a huge increase within the game. The fact of the matter is and what it boils down to is the fact that every year it comes down to a few teams, the other 26 or 27 teams stand no chance because of this and most of the cities struggle because of it. Baseball is in the exact same situation right now, the only way to fix this problem is to slap on a salary cap and follow the same route as the NFL.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

I understand what you're saying and I agree, but a salary cap doesn't gaurentee that a small market team can compete with a big market team.

For example, if the NHL sets the cap limit at 40 million dollars, then it would prevent the teams like the Rangers and the Redwings from going over that, but it doesn't gaurentee that the teams such as Minnesota or Pittsburgh can reach that 40 million dollar mark.

Pittsburgh cannot survive the way that they are now. They have a 20 million dollar payroll, and they are still projected to lose 5 million this season. They don't have a wealthy owner like most teams, and they can't afford to lose that kind of money. Other teams like Washington are projected to lose 60 million, but they can afford it because their owner is part of AOL.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

There is no question about that, you are absolutely right. However, I think that a cap would help a team like Pittsburgh get more fans into the building and turn this team around into one fans can get behind. A cap won't increase the money coming in, absolutely not. But it all starts with filling up those seats, and I think the cap is a step in the right direction.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:49 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Well, doesn't the NFL also have a salary floor, as well as (obviously) the cap??? That's the major thing there.

Bettman better get this done SOON. GB and BG say nothing is being done but there had better be a lot of closed door talking going on and it better get done by 12:01 on the 15th of September or hockey is gonna be in SERIOUS trouble. There will be NHL if we start play after January 1, 2005 next season. ESPN & ABC have, what, a $600 million deal with the NHL? It's gonna be a lot lower if there is a stoppage 'cuz people in the states will care less and less about it the longer we have a stoppage.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:34 AM   #8
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

I remember Grapes talking about how there will not be a lockout during the Heritage Classic CC, i remember him saying these guys love the game too much. I sure hope so, because the way things are going right now it looks like Bettman isn't doing anything right now.