Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-06-2004, 01:15 AM   #16
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by RyneSandberg
We have forgiven the Japanesse better than we have forgiven Pete Rose.
Must have something to do with the nukes you dropped on them

Maybe it would have helped, if he hadnt lied his ass off for 14 years!.

So you're saying that not even 24hrs after he admits to telling everybody who would listen for last 14 years that he never bet on baseball, we should pat him on the back and say "Ok Pete, you took us all for fools, but we forgive you. Here's a bronze statue for you to take to Coopers town, god bless ya!"

As I said in an earlier post, I'm all for him one day getting into the HOF, but I'd rather not see him in a dugout managing a team ever again.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #17
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Put him in, or shut up already. Does anyone really care anymore?? Can't at least ONE year go by without this story?
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:22 PM   #18
RyneSandberg
Sports Enthusiast

RyneSandberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
Must have something to do with the nukes you dropped on them

Maybe it would have helped, if he hadnt lied his ass off for 14 years!.

So you're saying that not even 24hrs after he admits to telling everybody who would listen for last 14 years that he never bet on baseball, we should pat him on the back and say "Ok Pete, you took us all for fools, but we forgive you. Here's a bronze statue for you to take to Coopers town, god bless ya!"

As I said in an earlier post, I'm all for him one day getting into the HOF, but I'd rather not see him in a dugout managing a team ever again.
Actually it was a joke. No knowledge behind it just humor, laugh a little. :smokin:
RyneSandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #19
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

So now that, in addition to being a compulsive gambler, he admits to being a compulsive liar, he should be admitted to the HOF?

Sorry, Pete, but Shoeless Joe has more integrity than you and you should be in line behind him for the Hall.
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #20
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

My first thought is this is a cheap gimmick to promote his book. Hell, SportsCenter was quoting passages from it tonight, so it is working.

I believe he should be in, BUT his interviews and actions aren't exactly making himself look good. Could he at least try to show SOME remorse and bluntly apologize? He is sorry he isn't in the HOF, he isn't showing any sorrow for betting and hurting the integrity of the game. I think he sees himself as someone he isn't. He seems very ingenuine and selfish, overall.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Put him in, or shut up already. Does anyone really care anymore?? Can't at least ONE year go by without this story?
No, Lee. We have to put up with this crap for his two remaining years of eligiblity to be elected by the Baseball Writers.

Then, and only then, can it be put to rest, as the veterans' committee doesn't seem likely to elect him till long after he's gouged the last kid for his autograph, written three more books not apologizing for not apologizing for lying about not gambiling, and is filling an urn with his ashes, wishing someone would remember to put $2000 on the odds that the Reds spread him over a new ballpark...

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #22
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

Allright here's my take on the whole situation..

I think that Pete Rose was an excellent player, definetly worthy of being in the Hall of Fame. But he broke a rule. He gambled on a game his team played. He also admitted it.

Sure I don't agree with the rule, but it is a rule and Pete knew the rules and the consequences behind his actions. He knew that he could be banned from baseball for life, but he still chose to bet. If he can't do the time then he shouldn't have done the crime.

I think it would look worse for Baseball if they let Rose in. They have to enforce the rules no matter if Pete apologized or not and no matter how good he was.

As I said, I don't agree with the rule. I think that it's too harsh and that you shouldn't be banned from baseball for life. But I also think that Baseball made the rules as they did and they have to uphold them. So no I don't think Pete should be allowed back into baseball.

I ask you this. Do you agree with the rule? Do you agree that he broke the rule? If he broke the rule then why do you think he should be allowed to break them?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:19 PM   #23
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Okay, wait, Loser.

I hope what you're trying to say is you don't agree with the PUNISHMENT, not that you don't agree with the RULE - surely you don't think managers should be allowed to be on baseball?!?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:47 PM   #24
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that entrance into the Baseball Hall of Fame, unlike other sports, requires that the player be a person of character and integrity, in addition to his on-field accomplishments.

Quote:
Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #25
Loser
Grizzled Veteran

Loser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hope what you're trying to say is you don't agree with the PUNISHMENT, not that you don't agree with the RULE - surely you don't think managers should be allowed to be on baseball?!?
I can't see where in my post that you would get the opinion that I disagreed with the rule, and if you did I'm sorry. I think that betting should be only for people not directly involved in the sport.

But I don't think that a player or manager should be banned from the game for life. That's going a little too far.

But a rule is a rule. Without them, this world would be chaos.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:15 AM   #26
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Loser, this is where I "got" that idea....

Quote:
Originally posted by Loser

As I said, I don't agree with the rule.
Not much of a crazy stretch.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 AM   #27
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Peter can be enshrined after he croaks.

Lifetime ban, ya know..?

Prolly wasn't a real good idea for Peter to have a blind dude pick out his wardrobe for the interview with Charles Gibson either.

Whatever
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:18 AM   #28
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by catman
Pete deserves to be enshrined in Baseball's Hall of Fame. With this admission, he will remove his only obstacle. Now the writers won't have any excuse to not vote for him. Eventually, he will be in the Hall. I hope he lives to see it.
No, the writers still have an excuse: they don't have the option of voting for Rose yet. It's not like he's been getting voted down all these years; he's been ineligible! We've been talking for so long about getting the admission that now it's seen as enough, and for Bud Selig, it might be. But until Bud signs on the dotted line, Pete is still banned, admission or no.

Does he belong in the Hall? IMO, yes. The rule mandating a lifetime ban shouldn't apply to the Hall, only to playing/managing. But that doesn't mean I have to like him, and I don't.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:41 AM   #29
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If Rose is reinstated, then Shoeless Joe Jackson must automatically be reinstated (albeit posthumously) on the very same day - after all, if you forgive someone who has now freely admitted that he bet on baseball, then how can you continue to exclude someone whose only "crime" was to remain silent about something he knew (or thought he knew) others were doing?

Then again, it all comes back to the fact that 14 years ago Rose agreed to the lifetime ban as a "compromise." When two parties "compromise" on something, the inevitable implication is that each side "gains" on some issues and "loses" on others. What could Rose's "gain" possibly have been? There is only one conceivable answer: Rose bet against the Reds while he was managing them, and he agreed to the lifetime ban in return for the cessation of continued investigations which would have proved this - and under the laws of many states, including Ohio, this is a crime under various "sports bribery" statutes, carrying severe penalties, often up to ten years in prison on each count (and it is quite possible that if Rose had bet against the Reds when they were on the road, the laws of the state where the game was played would have applied - of course this matter would have ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court, which would have been called upon to rule on the interstate implications).

Finally, if Rose does get reinstated, the rule declaring that any player (or manager) betting on baseball shall be declared "permanently ineligible" would have to be scrapped - otherwise, everyone ends up looking like complete fools.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-10-2004 at 09:44 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #30
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
If Rose is reinstated, then Shoeless Joe Jackson must automatically be reinstated (albeit posthumously) on the very same day - after all, if you forgive someone who has now freely admitted that he bet on baseball, then how can you continue to exclude someone whose only "crime" was to remain silent about something he knew (or thought he knew) others were doing?
I touched on this in the other thread about Rose, but I'll get at it in this one as well.

What Shoeless Joe did is leaps and bounds worse than what Rose did.

Anthony it's all well and good if you want to believe that Jackson only knew about the fix and remained silent. But that is most definetely revisionist history.

He took money and his play suffered in the series. Go read the other Rose thread...or come back with the classic boneheaded, not a thought put into it "he hit .375 in the Series" defense instead.

Or hell, just go out and do some research on the matter before running your mouth on it. I'm so tired of all the Field of Dreams Shoeless Joe supporters, and Anthony I'm not saying that you fall in that category alone, but if you think all he did was stay silent on the fix, then you simply have not done any research into the matter and you should do that before talking about it.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote