Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road
Default Vikes/Pack....part three.....

Don't know if it's going to be Saturday or Sunday (early word is 7:00pm Saturday), but the Vikes and Pack sqaure off at Curly's House for round three this season.

I believe in the long, storied rivalry between these two teams, this might be the first time they have ever faced off in the postseason.

Congrats, Packer fans. You'll whup us three times this season.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.

Last edited by FSUViking; 01-08-2005 at 10:56 PM.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 06:59 PM   #2
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

The Vikings have won 2 out of their last 22 games outside. That's a bad omen for them going to Lambeau Field, but strange things have happened. The Packers did lose two years at Lambeau to Vick and the Falcons and that same year the New York F***ing Giants blew a 24 point lead to the 49ers.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

now i thought...if the Seahawks win then that bumps the Vikings out of the playoffs???
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Vikes/Pack is Sunday at 4:30. Apparently the Jets and the Chargers is the must see game of round 1 it got the coveted Saturday Night slot.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

The playoffs are set.

AFC:
BYES: Pats & Steelers
Broncos v. Colts
Jets v. Chargers

NFC:
BYES: Eagles & Falcons
Vikings v. Packers
Rams v. Seahawks

Looks like Divisional games in the NFC.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Of course, it coincides right with the Kentucky/Kansas game on CBS.

I'm glad the Packers could go into the postseason on a positive note, but I'm not going to be over-confident here. The last time I was in the postseason, the Packers were upset by the Falcons at home.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Chin up, Marc. The only thing that could cause the Pack to lose this game would be Favre's getting his arm ripped from his body (forget the head, he doesn't need that, just his arm!) somewhere before the final minute of the game.

I don't know whether to expect this to be as entertaining as the two regular season games or not.

Tice loses his job as soon is the game is over if the Vikings roll over and the Pack win a route.
Tice loses his job on Tuesday if the Vikes show up and lose the same way they've lost both games to the Pack this season.

Dave
Old 01-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #8
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Tice isn't going ANYHWERE.

I'll bet anybody on that. Who do think Red will have come in and work for $800,000? Nobody!

Besides, next year he won't even own the team, so why have a coach that new ownership might not even want?

2005 will be the final year of Red and Mike.

Last edited by FSUViking; 01-08-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:51 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Tell you one thing: If the Vikings can somehow pull this thing off, even without T.O. the Eagles should make it to the Super Bowl, because Green Bay is the only NFC team that can stop them (forget about Atlanta, for two reasons: First, if the Packers do beat Minnesota they will avenge their 2002 loss to the Falcons in what will be Brett Favre's 20th career playoff start to Michael Vick's third, and even if the Falcons do beat the Packers, no domed-stadium team has ever won a conference championship game outdoors, in either conference - never, ever, ever).

Now that the Eagles aren't so good anymore with T.O. out, they will need to be lucky - but they certainly were lucky this past Sunday when Carolina didn't make the playoffs, so maybe they will continue to get lucky by not having to face Favre and the Packers, who are still hopping mad over how the Eagles rubbed their noses in it on December 5.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-05-2005 at 05:25 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Well, a lot of things that have NEVER, EVER happened.....have happened in the last few years.

1. No domed team ever made it to a Super Bowl. Atlanta in 1998. IF not them, then the Vikings would have. Myth killed.

2. Brett Farve never lost a home playoff game. DONE.

3. No team ever lost three NFC-GC in a row. DONE.

4. Never lost back to back NFC-CG at home. DONE

5. Tampa never won below 32 degress or whatever it was. DONE.

This day and age of the NFL, I really don't put a lot of stock into "this has never happened before" as a reason for one team having an edge over another.

I've heard this so many times in the last 6 or so years, only to see what "can't" or "shouldn't" happen........happen.

Last edited by FSUViking; 01-08-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #11
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
Well, a lot of things that have NEVER, EVER happened.....have happened in the last few years.

No domed team ever made it to a Super Bowl. Atlanta in 1998. IF not them, then the Vikings would have. Myth killed.
]
But the Falcons beat the Vikings indoors, in Minnesota - which goes to show that the only way a domed team could win a conference title game was for two of them to play each other.

Quote:
No team ever lost three NFC-CG in a row. DONE.
The Rams already did, in 1974, 1975 and 1976, and so did Dallas in 1980, 1981 and 1982, before the Eagles did so in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Quote:
Tampa never won below 32 degress or whatever it was. DONE.
It was below 40 degrees, not 32 - and when they finally did win it took playing a 4-12 team that was down to its third-string quarterback (Henry Burris) for them to do it.

And here's two more: No NFC #1 seed has lost in the divisional playoffs since Atlanta lost to Dallas in 1980 - and it has never happened when the team finished with sole possession of the best record in the conference, as opposed to earning the top seed on tie-breakers (as Atlanta did in 1980, and Dallas in 1979, who also lost in the divisional playoffs).

Naturally that doesn't mean it cannot happen - but if the Eagles do lose to the Falcons (or Rams) in the NFC championship game, or lose to anybody in the divisional playoffs, the fact that in either case something will have happened that has never happened before will prompt some people at least to trot out the dreaded "C" word (that being "choke," of course).

Last edited by Anthony; 01-06-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Looks like Anthony did his homework..

I'm excited about this matchup being a rivalry game to kick the playoffs off right. But as so often happens in the NFL, anything can happen. Nobody expected the Vikes to lose Week 17 to Arizona last year which cost them a playoff spot. And had certain scenarios worked out, their Week 17 loss this year to Washington would've also cost them a spot. It just seems to me that the Vikings are at their best in Weeks 1-7, but week 8 and on they're an ordinary team... Green Bay has had an up and down season, but when they're on, they are on. If the Pack gets thrown out of whack, and that means turnovers for the Viking defense, than Minnesota moves on. But Brett Favre rarely has a bad big game...

Something else I wanted to point out... Indy-Denver. Didn't this happen last year? Indy slacked up and Denver blew them out to set up a first round game. Then, Indy beat the brakes off the Broncos? Everybody said it wasn't a coincidence... I was just wondering if it was the same this year. I'm sure Dungy would rather play Denver than say Jax (who beat them once), Buffalo (on fire disregarding the loss to Pitt), or Baltimore (damn good defense).
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

whoa sweet a cowboy fan! Cool! I'm 13 so when I watched Emmit Smith he looked horrible and washed up. We don't get a top 10 pick b/c of beating Detroit who is #10. We also get the Bills first round pick this year b/c of that trade in last years draft. I think next season will be a duplicate of this one.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Will you stop f**king up threads with things that have no correlation with what is being discussed?

That's like 3 in the last 10 minutes.....

Last edited by FSUViking; 01-08-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #15
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Just wanted to point out that an 8-8 team has never...ever...EVER won a playoff game.

Until today.