Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Mets

With the signings of Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran, they have become a top team in not only their division, but also the National League. Being a Mets fans, I'm not taking anything for granted based on 2001 when they brought in Vaughn, which was a trade I didn't like, Burnitz, which I also didn't like, and Alomar, which was surprising how crappy he played.

I personally think these two signings are better since one is a solid pitcher who has pitched well in Boston. Fenway is a hitter's ballpark. Shea is a pitcher's park. I would not be surprised to see Pedro's ERA near 3.00 this season...if he stays healthy. Overall I like his signing.

I'm mixed on Beltran since they gave him a lot of money and this is the type of deal that backfires big time on the Mets. But we get better protection for PIazza and a good defensive OF who in effect makes us stronger defensive in RF since Cameron will be moving to right.

So, will the Mets disappoint and drive Mets crazy? Or will they finally live up to the hype?
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Carlos Delgardo looks like the next overpaid.... errr... I mean player moving to Shea.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Mets probably will not contend next year. I am not totally convinced that Beltran is a franchise caliber player. Don't great me wrong he is a really good player, but he has not exactly established himself as a consistent star hitter. I doubt he will give the team a significant power boost over what they got from the guys playing RF last year. They still have to show that the IF defense is going to be significantly better. The Mets blew a lot of games by not being able to field the ball last year. The pitching is not signficantly better with Pedro as they let Leiter go. Granted, Pedro is probably a bit of an upgrade but not a huge improvement over Leiter gave them last season. Plus, Steve Trachsel is not exactly the model of consistency over his career.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
bombers fan
All-Star Player

bombers fan is on a distinguished road

Even though I am a yankee fan I really like the moves the mets are making. They should have a good pitching staff with Pedro, Gavine,and BEnson. Their IF should be better with reyes movin back 2 short and matsui getting a yr under his belt. BEltran im not sure yet but if he is gonna be a great player its his time to shine now otherwise the mets just wasted a whole lot of money. If they find a fit for 1st base the pitchers hold up and Beltran is all that he is supposed to be the mets should do good and posibly make a run at the playoffs.Is it possible to start thinking subway series???? I wish it was great in 2000 but i dont see it happening any time soon.
still denys this to this day.
http://www.theforgotten.org/site/intro_eng.html
bombers fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #5
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Heathen
Carlos Delgardo looks like the next overpaid.... errr... I mean player moving to Shea.
I honestly don't want Delgado.. I think Olerud would be a much better fit. He's played with the Mets before and I think his glove would be a better asset to the Mets than Delgado bat. Why Olerud?

Defensively he's better than Delgado and with a young infield on the Mets, he would be a better addition.

He won't want to be a star on the team. Delgado would be coming to Mets not as the number one guy as he was on the Jays. He would behind, Pedro, Beltran, Wright, Piazza...etc. I don't think it would be a good fit

Olerud has played in New York before. He knows the media and he wouldn't have a lot of pressure on his shoulders

Last, in Shea, I believe Delgado would stink. Shea is not a hitter's park. Delgado is a power hitter. The Skydome is in the top ten when it comes to average and runs scored. Shea is near the bottom. Olerud has played there and does not try to hammer the ball out.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Wait and see how they come together. It's rare to throw a bunch of "superstars" together and have them come together as a cohesive, winning unit.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

This wave of signings by the Mets could set a lot of interesting things in motion.

For example, what if the Braves, Phillies and Mets finish with the three best records in the National League this year, or even three of the best four?

Quite a few owners already would like to see an extra wild card added to each league, with the two wild cards in each league then playing each other in a best-of-three "mini-series" and the six division winners getting a first-round bye.

All the complaints about how "unfair" it was that the third-best team in the NL didn't get in the playoffs could be just the thing to put this idea over the top and get it approved in time for the 2006 season.

Would it officially be called the LWS (League Wildcard Series) or the LMS (League Mini-Series)?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:54 AM   #8
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

I read something that I had to agree with. Martinez and Beltran are both overpaid, and that's an understood fact. The article said that it would have been better to go out and get J.D. Drew instead of Beltran, as Drew would come much cheaper. Then they could sign Degado/Drew/Martinez, and still have money to spare for other needs. Perhaps, bullpen?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 AM   #9
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

For some reason this idea just seems to remind me of that same season that Mo Vaughn, Jeremy Burnitz, and Roberto Alomar came over. A lot of people expected the Mets to contend, and instead, they handed in a sub .500 record, and some embarrasment.

I honestly believe that Pedro Martinez is starting to decline. His pitching, his power, his location...they've all just seemed to decrease slightly. But as MetsFan said, it is a pitcher's park.

I'm an Astros fan. I was very sorry that we had to let Beltran go. He was a very good offensive player who knows how to hit in the gaps. He was a solid defensive player who came up with some key plays. And he was a BIG reason that the Astros came within one game of their first World Series ever. Money aside, I think he's a great addition for the Mets.

The Mets are still missing a few trouble spots, but they could still contend for a playoff spot. For the past couple of years I've been pushing other teams to knock off the Braves in the AL East, but somehow they get it together and take first every year. So this year...I'm calling it Braves, Phillies, Mets, Marlins, Expos.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

The Mets probably won't have the pitching staff to win the division. Glavine doesn't have much left, Benson isn't spectacular and Trachsel is average and pitched best as a contrast in styles with Leiter.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:37 PM   #11
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

I'm very interested in seeing how Rick Peterson deals with Pedro...and if he can help him regain some of his old form with his aging body. For some reason, I think he will.

I'll say this about the Mets moves...this year's a lot better than the past 3.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Pedro's location is fine it is the velocity that he is starting to lose which is the problem. His walks were up slightly last year, but so were his innings. It is just that two years ago he used to be able to give you 7 innings at 95+ miles per hour now it is more like 6+ innings of 91-93 mph.

I don't know that I would say the Phillies, Mets, and Braves are locks to be the top three teams in the NL next year. What exactly have the Phillies and Braves done this winter to significantly improve themselves?

Thus far the Braves have let Jaret Wright and Russ Ortiz walk and are gambling on John Smoltz being able to pitch an entire season as a starter. They did pick up Hudson who should be just as good as Wright or Ortiz. But, they let JD Drew go and only have one outfielder on their roster: Andruw Jones. The pitching should be alright, but they still have some holes to fill in the lineup.

The Phillies pretty much stood pat other than changing mangers and swapping out Jon Leiber for Kevin Millwood and they still have to find someone to replace Eric Milton in the rotation.

The Cards may take a step back this year, but still have the talent to win 90 games and the Cubs should be right in the mix as well as the Giants.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I think the Phillies replace Eric Milton by default...

The Phillies starting pitching had two problems last season. They'll likely have at least one of the same problems this season. For starters, they don't have an ace. Didn't have one last season, don't have one this season. Second, they got bit hard with injuries last season.

There are way too many questions about the starting rotation to say that Philadelphia will be in the top three of the NL, but I'd say Anthony was just bringing up a hypothetical rather than making a prediction.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:05 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I suspect that Gavin Floyd will every opportunity to take that fifth slot in the rotation for the Phils.

I don't know that it will ever happen that the top three teams in the league come from the same division just because those three teams would have had to played each other fairly even for it to happen. Plus the other teams in the division would have to be absolutely abysmal. Don't forget about the Marlins either. Granted, they lost Pavano, but I am not sold on the idea that last year was not a flash in the pan year for him. Plus, they should have a healthy AJ Burnett for the season and Leiter is an adequate replacement for Pavano. Their biggest hole is at closer, but if they can find someone to close out games they could win 80-85 games again next year.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Right now I think the Marlins have the fewest questions hanging over their team. Pavana is a better pitcher in my eyes, but the loss isn't the end of the world. The Marlins definitely could win 80-85 games. I think right now the Braves and Marlins are the favorites in the division until the Mets and Phillies show that they aren't.

A sane team would give Gavin Floyd every oppurtunity to take the fifth slot in the rotation. The Phillies, however, have mismanged their young arms, I believe. Floyd and Ryan Madsen should have been given a chance last season. Floyd before the September call-up, as he didn't really have much left by then and Madsen should have been given a legit run in the rotation. They had all those injuries last season, it would have been a good time.

I'm not so sure that they're ready to let Floyd compete for that fifth spot in the rotation. The Terry Adams sign is a bit of an indication of that for me, as they could have easily moved Cory Lidle into the bullpen role they got Adams for if they wanted to give Floyd a run as the 5th starter.