Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #1
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road
Default What playoff game in the past would you say was the best one you ever watched?

Were in the middle of the playoffs so what better time to remember past great playoff games.

I have never forgot about this game, it was a crazy night!

http://www.geocities.com/wgh1986/198...iami_1982.html

The San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins faced off in what turned out to be one of the most exciting, emotional and exhausting games in pro football history in the AFC divisional playoffs. The game was played in Miami's Orange Bowl on January 2, 1982, and was finally decided by a 29-yard field goal by San Diego's Rolf Benirschke after 13:52 minutes of overtime.

The real drama, however, was created by the determination of the players of the two teams under the trying circumstances of the must-win game staged on a warm, humid evening in Miami. San Diego jumped off to a 24-0 lead but Miami rallied to even the score at 24-24 early in the third quarter. Each team added a touchdown in the third and fourth quarter to set the stage for the dramatic finish.

Each of the opposing field-goal kickers had earlier chances to win the game. Miami's field goal try by Uwe von Schamann was blocked as regulation time ran out. Benirschke missed one in overtime and von Schamann had another kick blocked before the San Diego kick won the game.

The Chargers' Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow, exhausted by the extreme heat, had to be treated several times on the bench but he caught 13 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown. He also blocked von Schamann's kick as time ran out. Another San Diego star was Charlie Joiner, the Chargers' all-time leading receiver and 1996 enshrinee of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, who had seven receptions for 108 yards.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^arguably the greatest game ever in the NFL.

In recent memory, I have to go with The Catch II game...just because of how it all went down, and my own emotional bias invested in that game. It was back-and-forth, and the goat became the hero in the end with a perfect throw from a future hall-of-famer into triple coverage, after almost slipping to the ground, with :02 left on the clock. Finally...the Niners had beaten their arch-nemesis Green Bay, and did it in unbelievable fashion. I ran around my house for a good 5 minutes as my buddy called me right after the score to share in the excited screaming.

'02 Giants/Niners is up there as well, if only for historical purposes. Thanks refs!

non-fan related...

I actually watched that Oilers/Bills game live. Oh man.

Last edited by El Jefe; 01-14-2005 at 07:25 AM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

In response to the subject, I was going to raise the game that the initial thread discusses.
In agreement with El Jefe as to the game's status in NFL lore. If it wasn't the greatest game ever, it was the greatest game in my lifetime.

I adored Kellen Winslow up till last just for that performance. Then I saw how he managed his son. Lost some notches in my book...

Dave
Old 01-14-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Well, you said the best one I ever watched.... And since I'm only 18, my playoff memories are somewhat limited....

So the greatest playoff game I recall will be the Buffalo Bills super-comeback against Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:40 AM   #5
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

That Chargers/Dolphins game was the first game that came to my mind. I checked your link, and sure even, there it was. I was very small at the time, but still remember a lot of it.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 AM   #6
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

When the Giants massacred the Vikings to go to the Super Bowl. I still have the ticket. It was just so sweet to see the Vikings sulk on the sidelines and see many analysts eat their words about the Giants. What made that game great was after the game, when Mara said, "We're the worst 12-4 team to make it to the Super Bowl."
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
MaddEnemy
Always next year

Anthony,

"After 13:52 minutes of overtime".

Something is telling me a game went into second Qtr overtime not so long ago, I think it was the Rams and someone but I can't be sure about that. Do you know of any other playoff game that has gone into second Qtr overtime? The game I am trying to remember probably happened in the past 5 years give or take, as I recall it only lasted a minute into the 2nd qtr OT and it only stands out as a spec in my memory, it actually could be a sign that I am loosing my mind and it really didn't happen, can you fill in the gap?

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 01-14-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

On a biased fan standpoint, I have go to go with Super Bowl XXXII. Broncos 31, Packers 24.

However, in the time I have watching football since about 1995 (I'm only 17), one that pops into mind is Titans-Bills after the 1999 season, with the Music City Miracle. The Super Bowl that year between the Rams and Titans was great as well, with Dyson getting stopped at the 1. The best one though in those recent years, has to be the NFC Championship Game between Minnesota and Atlanta after the 1998 season.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Packers related- Super Bowl XXXI

Other- Super Bowl XXXVI
Old 01-14-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Without looking it up, ME, I'm pretty confident that the Jets (Joe Walton years) played a playoff game into the second quarter of OT, but against whom, I don't remember. I think they lost, though. It is the Jets, after all.

Dave
Old 01-14-2005, 07:14 PM   #11
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^they were so close to doing it this year too. Damn it Brien...you should've missed.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

The Jets lost a playoff game in double overtime against the Browns in the mid or late 80s, Redskins castoff Mark Moseley kicking the GWFG for the Browns.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Indeed. Here's what nflhistory.net has to say about the game, which qualified as "Classic Jets"
(Go here for Jets lore. Or just here for some history.)

Quote:
12. BROWNS 23, JETS 20, 2OT (AFC DIVISIONAL)

The Jets are about to come back from the dead. After starting the season 10-1 and then losing their final five games to back into an undeserved playoff spot, the Jets thrash Kansas City 35-15 in the wildcard at Jimmy Hoffa, and now here they are at Drew Carey Stadium up 20-10, four minutes away from the AFC title game. The Browns' Bernie Kosar has just been chased from the pocket and Cleveland now faces a 3rd and 18 at their own 24. There's a flag on the play....

Eau neau. Disastineau.

Mark Gastineau picks the worst time to procrastineau, and the results are catastineau: his egregiously late hit of Kosar gives the Browns 15 yards plus the automatic first down.

Cleveland then prolongs the agony, teasing the Jets with a Mark Moseley 23 yard shank 6:06 into the first OT; but finally, 2:02 into the second after-school period, Moseley's 27 yarder puts the Jets out of their misery.
Dave
Old 01-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #14
MaddEnemy
Always next year

I FOUND IT

It was last year guys, how could we (I) forget!

http://football.about.com/cs/2003nfl...a/aa011004.htm

Jan 11 2004

Carolina Panthers 29, St. Louis Rams 23
On the first play of double overtime, in a dramatic playoff contest between the Carolina Panthers and St. Louis Rams, quarterback Jake Dehomme connected with wide receiver Steve Smith, who split the defense and raced 69 yards for the touchdown and a 29-23 victory.
The Panthers appeared to be on their way to victory late in the fourth quarter, but they blew an 11-point lead with less than three minutes remaining in regulation. Running Back Marshall Faulk scored on a one-yard touchdown run with 2:39 on the clock, and a toss to Dane Looker on the two-point conversion attempt was successful, cutting the difference to a field goal.

On the ensuing onside kick, the ball took a high bounce after being touched by a member of the Panthers and was recovered by kicker Jeff Wilkins, setting up his game-tying 33-yard field goal as time ran out in regulation.

In the first overtime, the Panthers took the kickoff and drove to the Rams 22, setting up a 40-yard attempt by John Kasay. Kasay hit the attempt, but the Panthers were called for delay of game, nullifying the play and pushing the Panthers back five yards.

Carolina ran two plays, but failed to get in better position, and Kasay missed wide right from 45 yards out.

St. Louis then took their turn moving into field-goal range, but this time it was Wilkins' turn to miss as his 53-yard attempt came up just short of the crossbar.

The Rams defensive line manhandled the Panthers on their next drive and forced them to punt. St. Louis took control of the ball at their own 13-yard line and they were driving when quarterback Marc Bulger was picked off by Rickey Manning Jr. at Carolina’s 38-yard line.

DeShaun Foster lost one yard on first down, then Delhomme was sacked for a three-yard loss, before hitting Smith for the game winner.

Some questionable time management by the Rams may have cost them a chance to win the game in regulation. Trailing Carolina by three with 2:38 remaining, St. Louis managed to run just four offensive plays before Wilkins' tying field goal as time expired.

Panthers running back Stephen Davis left the game with a quadriceps injury after a 64-yard run in the first quarter, but Foster filled in nicely with 95 yards on 21 carries.

Delhomme was 16-for-26 for 290 yards, including the game-winning pass.

Bulger was 27-for-46 for 332 yards, but was intercepted three times.

The Panthers win advances them to the NFC Championship game, where they will play the winner of Sunday’s contest between the Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles.

Glad to see I have not lost my mind totally, I did remember the Rams and it being about a minute.

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 01-14-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

That's funny. I totally forgot that went to 2OT.

Oh, well.

Thanks,

Dave