Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Chargers were also seen as a team that got hit by injuries and underachieved a bit.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #17
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

You can kiss him goodbye
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:39 PM   #18
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

so what was the decision??
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #19
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

he's decided to push his decision off until Friday. I believe there's a press conference scheduled for the late afternoon (unless you live on the West Coast, then it's more like mid-afternoon).

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #20
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, supposedly they are making a day of it announcing Tim Floyd as the new basketball coach and then having Leinart's press conference shortly thereafter. Could mean Leinart is staying.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The story I read suggested that Leinart still doesn't know. What was his line? "I may have decided to stay when the press conference starts, then change my mind by the time I reach the podium."

He WANTS to stay.
He should stay.

It doesn't get any more fun than running and gunning for Norm Chow with Reggie Bush and that Duane Jarrett kid, their TE whose name suddenly escapes me.

If something untoward happens... <shrug> he's well-spoken enough he can do something TV or something not sportsy.

Dave
Old 01-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #22
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I think some of that is just Leinart jerking the media's chain a bit. He probably knows what he is going to do deep down.

Bush is back, I am pretty sure Lendale White is back as well, both wideouts are back Steve Smith and Duane Jarrett. Smith was the go-to-guy before breaking his leg against Cal. Domonique Byrd is the TE and he is a Junior. I think most of the O-line is back as well.

The scary thing is next year's USC team will probably have more offensive talent than whoever he would end up on if he came out in the draft.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:49 PM   #23
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Agreed. One starter from the O line leaves, otherwise, a young offensive line grows up.

Byrd. Yes. Phenomenal catch the kid made in the Orange Bowl.

Maybe he knows, maybe he doesn't. Were I him, having as much fun with the game, in southern Cali, owning the campus as he must... I dunno. Be difficult to leave.

At 21, I would not have been ready to trudge off to the beastly business that is the NFL.

Dave
Old 01-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #24
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Leinart definitely wants to stay in USC. He's said that before the season, at mid-season, and towards the season's end. I don't see how he would change his mind, unless there's something that I don't know about.

I don't think he really has much to worry about in losing any spots in the draft or any money. He's definitely proved to be a better college QB than even Carson Palmer (or at least had better season). And I really don't think he cares too much about the money... He loves USC. I wish we had more players like this.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #25
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

It has to be a tough decision, but in Leinart's case it really cant be about money all that much, it has to be about the challenge he wants to face.

His family is very successful, father owns his own business, this is not a kid who has to look after his family.

But what challenge does he want to try an accomplish. A Three peat or the next level?

I dont buy into the injury thought, how many players have been injured who are in this similar position, who stay around over the course of the years? More often then not it actually works out better the other way..............they gain another year of experience, mature another year and become better players at the next level for it.

Many people have mentioned what USC does return next year............Bush, White, Byrd, Jarrett, Smith and 4 starters on the OL. But they also return there #3 WR this year McFoy AND Whitney Lewis, who was the best WR on the team during spring ball, then he was declared academically ineligible in the summer. He was a monster in the spring. They also return Brandon Hancock, who was the starting FB and about the most athletic FB you will fine(tremendous receiver) before getting injured in last years Rose Bowl and being lost for this whole year, the return of him and Whitney is huge. And while one starter does leave the OL, they return Winston Justice this year and he was there best OL in 2003(suspended by Carroll this past season) and Byers who did start several games this year when Drake, the lone senior, was injured this year.

As for Matt. I'm not sure what hes going to do and either way he chooses, I dont blame him one bit. Both avenues have to be very tempting for what they hold. With what he's accomplished and the fact he will graduate this semester from SC, cant blame him for leaving..................for the chance at accomplishing something, that basically hasnt been done before(3 straight NC's, I dont think it has anyway) while playing with this many weapons, in this system......................cant blame him for trying to attain that either.

We all should have such problems.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.

Last edited by #47; 01-14-2005 at 11:38 AM.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

He'll stay, but i won't surprise me if he goes.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #27
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

47 wrote:
Quote:
for the chance at accomplishing something, that basically hasnt been done before(3 straight NC's, I dont think it has anyway)

A friend of mine and I were discussing whether this was the case. After I saw 47 posit that it hadn't happened, I immediately figured, I need to check this out. InnerDave says: How did Oklahoma not win three in a row in the '50s heydays?

Well, they didn't.

Heading over to This page at ncaafootball.net, it's clear that 3 in a row hasn't come close to happening since they started actually deciding on a national champion.

However, as you'll see, had there been a poll in the years prior to 1936 (when AP started designating college football champs), Minnesota--YES, Minnesota-- might have been the only three time winner. History buffs have delcared the Golden Gophers (I bet they didn't have that mascot in the '30s) champs of '34 and '35, so... it could have been done previously, if anyone cared before '36 whether there were college football champs.

Also, you can sort of see in the '40s, the AP was all about Notre Dame, but never got the opportunity to call them champs three years running.

Dave
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #28
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy22
Leinart definitely wants to stay in USC. He's said that before the season, at mid-season, and towards the season's end. I don't see how he would change his mind, unless there's something that I don't know about.

The NFL and NBA is full of guys who claimed they were coming back to school for another year right up until the press conference where they announce they are leaving school to go pro.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:55 PM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, he stays:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1964834

I love the last line of the article where it mentions that the punter also says he is returning for his senior season. I know Pete Carroll is breathing a sigh of relief over that one. :lol:
Old 01-14-2005, 07:11 PM   #30
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Great decision Matt. Make history, but if you have to lose, let it be to the Bruins.