Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default worst trade

The Randy Moss deal has people talking about the best and worst trades in NFL history. I'd be curious to hear everyone's choices. Some personal faves:

* The Herschel Walker trade has got to be the worst in the history of professional football.
* Both Ricky Williams trades. NO's entire 1999 draft plus another 1st-rounder to Washington to move up 7 spots, then Miami sends two number ones to the Saints for Williams.
* Sonny Jurgensen for Norm Snead. I think Philly got the short end of the stick on that one. Vince Lombardi reportedly told some of his old GB players, "If we'd had him, we'd have never lost a game." I don't think I'd really take Jurgensen ahead of Bart Starr, but no one says stuff like that about Snead.

Your choices?
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I had to look up the fine-print details, but I'll take the Browns giving up staple Chip Banks and swtiching draft positions with the Chargers for two rounds in 1987 so they could draft Mike Junkin.

Brad (or anyone)- Does anyone have some insight why player-for-player details are so rare (although it seems becoming more common) in the NFL? It seems like we went through a stretch where every trade I knew of was player-for-draft pick(s).

And Brad (or any other football historian)-You hear about those silly baseball trades from the 50's and earlier (trading your catcher for a dress suit and a bucket of balls, or whatever), does football have any legacy of that sort of thing?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #3
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Burning in my recent memory: Packers trading a 3rd and a 4th round pick in the 2004 Draft to move up a few slots in the 3rd round... which they used to draft a punter (!) BJ Sander, who didn't even make the roster. Nice going guys. Y'all had some good choices, too-- i second the Herschel trade for being worst ever
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

B.J. Sander is now headed to NFL Europe. Some third round draft pick, huh? The Pack could have picked Matt Schaub with that pick. I firmly believe he will some day be a quality starter in the NFL.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Brett Favre trade in which the Falcons ultimately end up with Tony Smith and Frankie Smith.

Jeff George trade where the Falcons end up with Mike Pritchard, Chris Hinton, and Andre Rison.

But the Herschel trade and the Ricky Williams draft day trade will ultimately go down as the two worst trades.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Ricky trades or the Herschel trade can possibly be eclipsed.

KB-As far as trading player for player and its having been (till say, last year) nonexistent in the NFL in the cap era, I think it boils down to, what else? dollars.

When you trade a player, his money continues to count against your cap number for the first year following the trade. So, folks, especially early on, weren't willing to take the cap hit (dead money) for the traded player AND a potentially burdensome salary (also counting against the cap--I think, maybe I should check--tell ya what, if I'm wrong, I'll note it in an edit) that comes with another live player.

EDIT: So, the new owner of traded player is responsible ONLY for the base salary of year one. The unpaid signing bonus all comes due in that year of the trade. For most teams, this can be a burdensome amount of money to deal with.
With a draft pick, teams have some flexibility about how the kid coming in gets paid. Even a first round pick has a ceiling which he can be paid first year in the league, and there's a cap on the amount of your cap a rookie class can count, etc. So, teams trading players for draft picks is something of a salary dump, though not for year one of the trade.

I think we've begun to see player for player happen a little more frequently because:
1. teams have begun to figure out this whole salary cap thing, and have less dead money on their cap number, and can afford the double salary hit
2. the players being traded haven't been capbusters, with the exception of Moss. But, in the Moss for Kaufman case, Kaufman will likely NEVER count $8M against the cap, so it's safe to say that the accounting works heavily in the favor of the Vikings. (Who, btw, could afford to pay Moss DOUBLE this year and STILL sign anyone they want in this free agent class.)

Dave

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 03-09-2005 at 05:48 PM.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:00 AM   #7
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Brett Favre trade in which the Falcons ultimately end up with Tony Smith and Frankie Smith.

Jeff George trade where the Falcons end up with Mike Pritchard, Chris Hinton, and Andre Rison.

But the Herschel trade and the Ricky Williams draft day trade will ultimately go down as the two worst trades.

Interesting you should bring up Andre Rison, doublee. In 1988, the Eagles traded their #1 pick in '89 to the Colts for offensive lineman Ron Solt. The Colts used the pick to draft Rison.

The Eagles must have learned a powerful lesson from that deal: They have not traded away a first-round draft pick for a veteran player since.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:51 AM   #8
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

The Cowboys threw away two first round draft picks..one of which Seattle used to draft Bama's star running back Shaun Alexander... for Joey Galloway.

The first game he played, he tore his ACL and sat out proving to be a worthless trade.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Yeah, the Favre and Galloway trades were awful. Those might be worse than the Ricky Williams deals.

Another naughty one was the Daryle Lamonica trade in 1967. Buffalo gave up Lamonica (and Glenn Bass) for washed-up Art Powell and Tom Flores.

That year, Lamonica was named league MVP and led the Raiders to the Super Bowl. He started for his new team for six seasons, compiling a 63-15-6 record and adding another league MVP award in 1969.

Flores threw 74 passes for Buffalo, with no TD and 9 INTs. Powell played only one season with the Bills, catching 20 passes for 346 yards and 4 TDs.

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
And Brad (or any other football historian)-You hear about those silly baseball trades from the 50's and earlier (trading your catcher for a dress suit and a bucket of balls, or whatever), does football have any legacy of that sort of thing?
As far as I know -- no.

But there is a history, in the league's earliest days, of owners literally buying entire franchises to gain access to a single player. And in the 20s, players switched teams even more often than they do today; many were paid on a game-to-game basis. So there was a lot of player movement based on straight cash.

Last edited by Brad O.; 03-13-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote