Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #10276
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I would love to stay up and chat with everyone about why Tarantino is not a genius, or why Giamatti is one of the best working actors around, but I just got done calling a boy's basketball game where the team I covered went 10-of-54 from the field and only shot 43% from the free-throw line.

I am going to bed.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #10277
Cure
Agnostic Cards fan

Cure is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Make sure you get the bigger peanuts not the little one's. The bigger peanuts don't get "slimed" over. Maybe I should have phrased that better?
Probably should have.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #10278
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I have a headache.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #10279
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Have sex... Swear to god it works!! My girlfriend told me that one day. I NEVER EVER get headaches, but I had a BAD one... we "did the deed" and I promise, immediatly after it was gone! Go figure????
Old 01-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #10280
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Have sex... Swear to god it works!! My girlfriend told me that one day. I NEVER EVER get headaches, but I had a BAD one... we "did the deed" and I promise, immediatly after it was gone! Go figure????
lol. That is a great excuse to have sex. I am sure it works, but that is a good one to pull out whenever you want to have sex.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #10281
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I never thought of it like that. Don't women use that for an excuse to NOT have sex? Well maybe us men can start using it for an excuse to HAve sex!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #10282
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Tell your girlfriend I have a migraine she can take care of!

And most of my experiences in life have revolved around the female (just to clarify) turning me down for sex because she has a headache. Go figure.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:41 PM   #10283
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Time to pick up where I left off yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
I don't give much credences to the awards. The Oscars basically come down to what a thousand elitists in LA think/want you to think. And even worse, they have a tendency to make up for their screw-ups (Pacino for Scent of a Woman), further diluting the Academy's credibility.
I don't give much credence to the awards either, but that still doesn't mean it isn't disappointing when great works of film like Memento are basically an after-thought and don't receive the proper recognition they deserve (even with a nomination) at the award cermonies.

Expect the Academy Awards to make up for another screw-up this year by awarding Martin Scorsese the Oscar for Best Director for The Departed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
Whaaaat????

You think Pulp Fiction sucks??????

Tarantino is a f'n genius!!!!
Allow me to rephrase my comments. Pulp Fiction doesn't suck (it is a decent movie), but it also doesn't deserve the heaps of praise it receives, either.

It's a fun, character-driven film that wastes too much time on those less interesting (John Travolta and Uma Thurman, mainly). Also, for a character study, it needed to have better dialogue than what Tarantino was able to deliver.

As Ken alluded to, a better character piece with interwoven storylines is Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike
Follow up as in sequel, or just similar. God I loved that movie.
Neither.

Follow-up, as in, the first movie Mike Judge has directed since Office Space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush
Dr Pepper the true southerner's drink. Beside RC cola of course.
RC cola takes me back to summer pee-wee baseball games, as the team celebrated either a win or a defeat in the summertime heat with a nice cold one. Those were the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Nice call Toby... I've been a HUGE Norton fan since I can remember. Also, Giamatti is one of my all-time favorites. I saw the Illusionist on a flight - great flick.
Back to Giamatti... I loved him in Sideways - such a great movie, and I can sort of relate to his character. He was great in Private Ryan too as the Sergeant - his additude was great I loved his character (for a small role) "will ya just do it.. thank you! You moron!"
You should also check out Giamatti in American Splendor, if you haven't seen it.

Real quick, my current top-ten working actors/actresses and there best roles to date:

Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth
Morgan Freeman - The Shawshank Redemption
Paul Giamatti - Sideways
Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
Bill Murray - Groundhog Day
Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Edward Norton - American History X
Kevin Spacey - American Beauty
Hilary Swank - Boy's Don't Cry
Charlize Theron - Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
what the hell is the deal with boiled peanuts?
For some reason I pictured Alex looking and sounding like Jerry Seinfeld when I read this question.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #10284
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Allow me to rephrase my comments. Pulp Fiction doesn't suck (it is a decent movie), but it also doesn't deserve the heaps of praise it receives, either.

It's a fun, character-driven film that wastes too much time on those less interesting (John Travolta and Uma Thurman, mainly). Also, for a character study, it needed to have better dialogue than what Tarantino was able to deliver.
I was only half-teasing. I enjoyed Pulp Fiction but the Kill Bill movies are absolute works of art, IMO. Any movie with Michael Madsen in it is okay by me. (loved him in Thelma & Louise, too):thumbup: .....

Quote:
You should also check out Giamatti in American Splendor, if you haven't seen it.
I haven't seen American Splendor, but Giamatti is a superb actor. He even takes a tiny bit part like he had in My Best Friend's Wedding and shines. IMO he was robbed of an Oscar nomination for Sideways

Quote:
Real quick, my current top-ten working actors/actresses and there best roles to date:

Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth
Morgan Freeman - The Shawshank Redemption
Paul Giamatti - Sideways
Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump
Bill Murray - Groundhog Day
Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Edward Norton - American History X
Kevin Spacey - American Beauty
Hilary Swank - Boy's Don't Cry
Charlize Theron - Monster

Agree with your first three on the list (talk about highway robbery: Cate Blanchett should've won the Oscar for Best Actress for her performance in Elizabeth instead of Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespeare in Love)

Morgan Freeman is my absolute favorite actor.....
Old 01-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #10285
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

american history x, one of my fav movies of all time. HS kids shoeld be forced to watch that movie.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #10286
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
I was only half-teasing. I enjoyed Pulp Fiction but the Kill Bill movies are absolute works of art, IMO. Any movie with Michael Madsen in it is okay by me. (loved him in Thelma & Louise, too) :thumbup:
I have still yet to catch the Kill Bill movies. I caught glimpse of one of the films (I am assuming Vol. 1) on TBS the other day, and I decided I need to watch the film from start to finish and quickly changed the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike
american history x, one of my fav movies of all time. HS kids shoeld be forced to watch that movie.
American History X wouldn't have been half as good as it is had Edward Norton not be in the movie.

Truly a great performance.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #10287
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Strangely one of the most bothersome moments in America History X, as noted by Bill Simmons, is when Norton's character does the reverse dunk. Bogus lol!

Man, what a ****ty day yesterday. Today ain't gonna be much better.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #10288
suedon1970
Sports Chick

I was sitting here at work thinking about some of my favorite actors/favorite performances and these are some I came up with (just a few I could think of off the top of my head):

Kate Winslet - On my list of favorite actors. She is great in everything, but I loved her performances in Sense & Sensibility, Iris, and Heavenly Creatures

Patricia Clarkson - High Art. I love her normal Southern accent (I think she is from Louisiana) but she was great in this film with her thick German accent....

Cate Blanchett - Outside of Elizabeth, I thought she was outstanding in The Aviator. She had Katherine Hepburn down. And she didn't portray her as some silly caricature.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #10289
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
Strangely one of the most bothersome moments in America History X, as noted by Bill Simmons, is when Norton's character does the reverse dunk. Bogus lol!
Really? The most disturbing scene in the movie to me was when he cracks open the guy's skull on the curb.....
Old 01-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #10290
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Yea, that was brutal. But the dunk took suspension of disbelief to another level.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Closed Thread