Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #31
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Yep & the ink's not even dry...
Wet ink?

TAX IT!

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 AM   #32
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

If people were encouraged to set up their own retirement accounts, Social Security would have a lot less pressure on it. IRAs, when first proposed, were a very good idea. Allow everyone without a pension to invest up to $2K annually, tax-defered, into these funds. I would encourage everyone to write their congresspeople and ask that these programs be expanded again to include everyone in the country. It would be nice to have 10 years of taw-defered savings in my case.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #33
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

First let me say that I don't agree with this idea, especially the way it is worded.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have a question for the "anti tax increase crowd".

How do you propose that we pay for everything that we do? We can not continue to cut taxes while we have wars in two countries, bridges collapsing, millions needing to collect unemployment etc.

No doubt that we need to cut spending, but we have a debt that has doubled in the last 8 years. I may not be a financial wizard but I do know that if you debt is growing faster than your income then you are headed for trouble whether it is a household, business or the federal government.

At some point we are going to have to sacrifice something. What'll it be?
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #34
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayhezy View Post
First let me say that I don't agree with this idea, especially the way it is worded.

Now that I got that out of the way, I have a question for the "anti tax increase crowd".

How do you propose that we pay for everything that we do? We can not continue to cut taxes while we have wars in two countries, bridges collapsing, millions needing to collect unemployment etc.

No doubt that we need to cut spending, but we have a debt that has doubled in the last 8 years. I may not be a financial wizard but I do know that if you debt is growing faster than your income then you are headed for trouble whether it is a household, business or the federal government.

At some point we are going to have to sacrifice something. What'll it be?
I don't know if there's any here that don't realize that taxing is going to happen in some form or another & probably also realize that it's a necessary evil. However, this whole campaign has been the baited hook of how the strain on the American people will be lessened thru various things & one that will be a reduction in some form of taxing.

What makes it ridiculous is that the election booths are still warm & already Dems are leading their new 'change' with a a new way of taxing the public instead of hearing about wasteful expenditures being eliminated & obvious bloat in the government.

& I'm no financial wizard either but if you eliminate waste from this budget, it's addition by subtraction. Yet there's no immediate ideas coming on that side of the ledger which smacks of the same lack of fiscal responsibility that we're used to from both parties.

So sure, expect the taxes in some areas, not this thread's example, that make sense but let's hear how the waste in the budget is slashed on the top end. That's true change according to the campaign message & I would have expected that to be the lead-in to the beginning of Obama's reign.

Who knows, maybe Obama is against this. Then this would mean that the main problem is Obama having to corral entrenched Dems who want to do business as usual which means finding solutions anywhere that doesn't upend the government apple cart.

Cut the 'overhead' & your dollar goes farther. Basic business practice, one I used successfully for over 20 years, that somehow doesn't apply to the government.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #35
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately Tark, I believe you are correct. Many of the firmly entrenched Democrats in the house and senate will see this as a license to do what they want to do. Biden won't help Obama in his effort to change Washington.
Obama has a lot of work to do to, as you said, corral these Democrats.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #36
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know if there's any here that don't realize that taxing is going to happen in some form or another & probably also realize that it's a necessary evil. However, this whole campaign has been the baited hook of how the strain on the American people will be lessened thru various things & one that will be a reduction in some form of taxing.

What makes it ridiculous is that the election booths are still warm & already Dems are leading their new 'change' with a a new way of taxing the public instead of hearing about wasteful expenditures being eliminated & obvious bloat in the government.

& I'm no financial wizard either but if you eliminate waste from this budget, it's addition by subtraction. Yet there's no immediate ideas coming on that side of the ledger which smacks of the same lack of fiscal responsibility that we're used to from both parties.

So sure, expect the taxes in some areas, not this thread's example, that make sense but let's hear how the waste in the budget is slashed on the top end. That's true change according to the campaign message & I would have expected that to be the lead-in to the beginning of Obama's reign.

Who knows, maybe Obama is against this. Then this would mean that the main problem is Obama having to corral entrenched Dems who want to do business as usual which means finding solutions anywhere that doesn't upend the government apple cart.

Cut the 'overhead' & your dollar goes farther. Basic business practice, one I used successfully for over 20 years, that somehow doesn't apply to the government.

Exactly. I submit to you that there has NEVER been a "tax cut". It has always been a tax bait and switch. They all promise it and they all cut "taxes" on those whom they promised the cut to. Then they take it back from them somewhere else or they take it from somewhere else. The difference is that the Dems are usually more up front in raising taxes while the Repubs are more under the table.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #37
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Exactly. I submit to you that there has NEVER been a "tax cut". It has always been a tax bait and switch. They all promise it and they all cut "taxes" on those whom they promised the cut to. Then they take it back from them somewhere else or they take it from somewhere else. The difference is that the Dems are usually more up front in raising taxes while the Repubs are more under the table.
Hey Tark, let me try.

Oh, so it's kind of like being told you're about to get raped. Either way, you still get raped.

How's that?

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #38
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
:lol:

We're singing in the same choir, tray. Good to read...

I cut your taxes over here, I raise your taxes over there. The old shell game alive & well. Meanwhile, the 'misdirection' seems to work very well with the majority of the public.

Never been a tax cut is 1000% correct. Just a political word game to battle for office.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #39
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Hey Tark, let me try.

Oh, so it's kind of like being told you're about to get raped. Either way, you still get raped.

How's that?

C'mon now, CK, no need to bring up personal experience to make a point.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #40
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:

C'mon now, CK, no need to bring up personal experience to make a point.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote