Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 10-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road
Default 2009-2010 Season Predictions

With the preseason well underway and this forum completely dead, I think it is a good time to have everyone post their predictions for the upcoming season.

Post your predicted standings, playoff contenders, anything that you think will happen this upcoming season.

With baseball wrapping up and cold weather settling in, I know I'm ready for some hoops!

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think two of the biggest stories will be Shaq fitting into Cleveland and Artest in L.A. Then you know there will be constant speculation about LeBron and the free agent class of 2010. I think we could very well see a Cleveland/L.A. final, but the Magic will be stronger with Vince Carter and a healthy Jameer Nelson, so they should also be top contenders in the East.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Anyone else? Predictions to come out of each conference? I forgot to mention Rasheed Wallace joining the Celtics; it will be interesting to see him in green and if the C's can become a dominant team again. Some are saying Garnett will never be the same.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Garnett has been in decline since leaving Minnesota. He went from 39/40 minutes per game to 31/32 minutes a game in Boston. His knees just will not let him play superstar minutes any more.

What I am curious to see is how long it takes until Artest punches Kobe in the mouth. :lol:

I am curious to see how Portland does. Oden is playing a lot better this preseason and is averaging a double-double in just 23 minutes per game.

The Spurs are going to be interesting to watch as well as DeJuan Blair has been tearing it up.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I am curious to see how Portland does. Oden is playing a lot better this preseason and is averaging a double-double in just 23 minutes per game.
I'm already expecting Oden's trip to the IR. He simply has never proven the ability to stay healthy. But aside from him, the Blazers have plenty of young players and could be a team that makes a move into the playoffs.

How about Vince Carter in Orlando?

Shaq and LeBron will be interesting for sure. Will Shaq be able to defer to it being LeBron's team? Some say no.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I have complete faith in Carter to choke again when the time comes. He is the best player in the league when the game is not on the line.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
I have complete faith in Carter to choke again when the time comes. He is the best player in the league when the game is not on the line.
I thought that honor went to Tracy McGrady. Must be something in that family...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

T-Mac's numbers are actually about the same in the playoffs as they are during the season. His teams just cannot seem to win.

Carter's shooting percentages drop off quite a bit in the playoffs in comparison to the regular season.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #9
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

For me I would be absolutely shocked to see anything other than (barring major injuries) the Spurs and the Celtics in the final.

Richard Jefferson adds a whole new dynamic to the Spurs line up putting four "all-star" caliber players on the floor and helping to keep down each other's minutes.

I think Kevin Garnett has slowed only slightly, but moreso has toned it down because he now plays with other great players. I think the Celtics are the most complete team. The bigs are deep and talented and adding Rasheed to KG, Perkins, and Big Baby gives them a lot of options. Rondo is on the verge of turning into a top level point guard as evidenced by last years playoffs. Ray Allen is getting long in the tooth so his minutes should be a concern but shooters like him are always useful. I personally have always thought of Paul Pierce as and upper level talent that is the second best closer in the game.

I also think Carmelo will lead the league in scoring this year. That cat is beast.

I also think that Ron Artest has lost a step or two. He is not the defender he was a couple of years ago and gets by a lot on reputation and intimidation alone.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
xxMURPHxx
Grizzled Veteran

xxMURPHxx is on a distinguished road

Predictions for upcoming season.......

Atlantic...
1.Boston
2.Philly
Obviously gotta go with the Celtics here.....KG healthy & hungry to redeem and recapture the NBA title...with House/BigBaby plus additions of Sheed & Marquis, they should be tough to handle no matter what combination is playing....
Philly could be a surprise team this year if Brand can stay healthy &"if" Thaddeus Young "steps -up" to take the scoring load off of A.I.
Also look for 19yr old Jrue Holiday to have breakout rookie season off the bench....

Central....
1.Cleveland
2.Chicago
Again obviously the Cavs are the best in the Central ,Led by Lebron and his "God-Like" media status..I don't like the addition of Shaq I think he will be "in the way" in the middle, only grabbing up easy baskets Bron-Bron wouldv'e gotten anyhow(Big Z was at least a team player)and while Moon may be a decent player...how much time will he get playing behind LbJ
**(sidenote)(in my opinion) Shaq was always and still is, the most overrated player in basketball history..no speed, bad hands,can't shoot anything other than a dunk.and always been me me me............he's always just been SOOO much bigger then everyone else, its like playing against your big brother when your 10 yrs old
Chicago (while Rose & Thomas may be decent Fantasy picks) lacks the talent and depth, to have much consistancy this year...

Southeast....
1.Orlando
2.Washington
3Miami
Orlando as returning Champs could have their hands full with the Wizards this year.....while Dwight is still "super" man Lewis will lose a step this year and be less effective ...Vince will ,at times,will look like the best offseason move, he will still have those"WTF happened to VC "games...overall it won't be enough as Orlando will finnish 3rd behind Boston & Lebron(I mean the Cavs)
Wizards could be Damn good "IF" Gilbert can stay healthy/Jamison gets healthy /Caron is Caron./Miller steps up...but that is a BIG "if" .....
And while O'niel was a great pick-up for D Wade....Miami still needs a stud point gaurd and some depth to back up ......everyone

The West and Playoff predictions to follow......

Ok Boys lets hear it....take your shots.....lol

(These picks are for entertainment purposes only and in no way express the opinions of management, owner, this staion or its affiliates.../ all rights reserved.../ offer void in Alaska and Hawaii....any similarity to actual picks is purely coincidential / Void where prohibited )
Old 10-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am not expecting much out of the Sixers this season simply because they may be the weakest team at the point right now. I like Holiday but think it is going to be a year or two before he is ready to run a team full time. The Sixers are fooling themselves if they think they can compete with the league's best with Lou Williams at the point and Andre Igoudala being the primary ball handler.

I like Chicago a lot if Joakim Noah can continue to play the way he did during the playoffs last spring.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

I'm finally getting around to posting my predictions:

Stories to watch for (nothing new or insightful here...):
LeBron & Shaq. Does the Diesel have enough left to help push Cleveland over and get King James his title? My "the-NBA-is-rigged"-conspiracy-theorist friend certainly thinks so.
Lakers & Artest. Will Ron-Ron play nice? Or he still a ticking time bomb? Man, I hate this guy...
Vince in Orlando. How will Carter do finally playing on an elite team?

Predicted Conference Standings:
East:
1. Boston
2. Cleveland
3. Orlando
4. Atlanta
5. Washington
6. Chicago
7. Toronto
8. Indiana
------------------------
9. Miami
10. Philadelphia
11. Charlotte
12. Detroit
13. New York
14. New Jersey
15. Milwaukee

West:
1. LA Lakers
2. San Antonio
3. Denver
4. Dallas
5. Portland
6. New Orleans
7. Utah
8. Phoenix
------------------------
9. Houston
10. LA Clippers
11. Golden State
12. Memphis
13. Oklahoma City
14. Minnesota
15. Sacramento

But what do I know? I'm sure I won't even be close.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I have heard Shaq looks more out of shape than he ever has. I have not seen him play just heard someone talking about on the radio the other day. He said he would be shocked if Shaq consistently gives them quality minutes before February or March.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #14
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I have heard Shaq looks more out of shape than he ever has. I have not seen him play just heard someone talking about on the radio the other day. He said he would be shocked if Shaq consistently gives them quality minutes before February or March.
But I thought by having his TV show, Shaq Vs., he was supposed to be in some of the best shape of his career. haha.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
He didn't look any different in the season-opener vs. the Celtics. But the Celtics beating Cleveland at the Q was significant because Cleveland only lost twice there all last season. I think what we're going to see is Cleveland is only going to be second or third best in the East. If the Magic stay healthy, I slot them at No. 2 and put Boston at No. 1. Rasheed makes Boston better and Cleveland has the weakest supporting cast, IMO. It's amazing they won 66 games last year. Oh, and Mike Brown is a dolt.