Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Watching the Magic dismantle the Hawks, every single game, it's an art. The Magic seem to be the favorite in the East again, but LBJ always proves me wrong.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

How about that triple-double Rondo had? Pundits are calling the Celtics HIS team now. Very nice...

Wow, three of the four second round series were sweeps, with only the Cavs and Celtics series competitive at 2-2. Hope the competition heats up later...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Cavs are done. Mike Brown may as well clean his office out now his days as the Cavs head coach are over.

I have never seen a #1 seed lay as big of a dud at home in the playoffs as the Cavs did last night.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

120- 88...that was a disgrace, there is no reason to get BLOWN OUT at HOME when your clearly the better team. That was just disgusting to watch.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I would not say that Cleveland is clearly the better team top to bottom though. Sure they have LeBron but I think, overall, Boston is the deeper team and has more guys willing to step up in big games.

Boston also has the better coach who is willing to get his guys to nut up tough situations while Mike Brown just sits there waiting for LeBron to do something to bail them out again.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

This is true, about the coaches but looking at the teams on paper if the Cavs had a decent coach don't you think a team stacked with Shaw, LBJ, Mo Williams, and Antwan Jamison, should win? Especially with role players like JJ Hickson and Andy Varejao that have so much upside and potential, and Boobie Gibson who (at least used to be) a really good role player.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #22
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

They just don't understand how to play as a team, at all. It's all LBJ all the time, and every once in a while Shaq steps up.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #23
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I completely disagree, I think the Celtics have an advantage at point, shooting guard, power forward as evidence by this series. They have a deeper bench and better coach. The Cavs only advantage is at the 3 and Pierce is no scrub. The only way the Cavs can win games is if Lebron is superhuman, and you can not expect that every game against good teams.
until I'm Tiger dead
Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, I don't see where the Cavs have any distinct advantage except at SF, and they have no idea what to do with Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo. Allen, Rondo, and KG have stepped it up a notch in this round while the Cavs have not.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #25
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Coming into this series NOBODY said the C's had an advantage or would win, all the talking heads said Cleveland had a clearly better team. All of a sudden nobody thinks Cleveland is any good and the C's are just going to destroy Cleveland.

While I believe the Celtics will beat the Cavs, I don't see the Celtics as the better team IF and ONLY IF the Cavs were playing to their potential. Looking at the last game tho, the Cavs GAVE UP, they didn't even try, not even Lebron tried.

Now the Cavs defense is worse than it used to be, but lets look at the matchups.

Williams vs. Rondo - okay yeah Rondo is much better this one shouldn't be debated.

LBJ vs Pierce - LBJ is much better, Pierce is no slouch, but he has been for most of this series, and LBJ is a superstar on par with Kobe and MJ, I hate LBJ but he's better than any other SF in the league...by a lot.

Jamison vs KG - Ehhh, this is actually close. Jamison was a star in Washington, just because he isn't playing to his potential in Cleveland doesn't mean KG is better, it just means Mike Brown can't coach worth crap and Danny Ferry created a horrible team that has too many players and not enough minutes. You want to know who I'm picking? If Jamison was playing the way he did in Washington...KG is JUST SLIGHTLY better than Jamison.

Shaq vs. Perkins - Shaq...plain and simple.

Since I don't know who the Cavs SG is, I will presume that Ray Allen is better than the Cavs SG lol.

Benches - The Celtics have...Nate Robinson who never plays (sorry I like KryptoNate its sad he never plays)...Okay the rest of their bench includes Glen Davis, Rasheed, Tony Allen, and sometimes Micheal Finley. Vs. The Cavs bench of Delonte West, Z, Jamario Moon, Andy Varejao, and Daniel Gibson. Obviously their are more bench players I'm just naming the number two on the teams depth chart at each position. Breaking this down, Delonte West has been a good role player for the Cavs, ALWAYS, and was named as a reason for their success the past couple years despite his legal issues. Varejao brings the energy off the bench. Everyone knows Gibson CAN play, I attribute his problems lately to the coaching staff. Z is a fan favorite, WHY? Well he's good enough to be the starter on the team that made it too the finals. The C's have, Rasheed who has struggled, Glen Davis who is always in fould trouble, Tony Allen who is playing the SERIES of his life so there you go he's good. Krypto Nate who never plays, and Micheal Finley who is an old shooter losing his legs.

How is the C's bench better than Clevelands? Even if Glen Davis and Rasheed play up to their full potential I think Clevelands bench should be playing better and should be the favorite bench.

COACHING...Doc Rivers takes Mike Brown to school day in and day out.

Okay, if both teams have their players playing to their full potential, I call it dead even, and in a dead even matchup it comes down to your play maker, and in that respect you take Lebron. The problem is that the Cavs can't play as a team, their rotations are dumbfounding and their coach simply looks LOST. It's not a lack of talent its a lack of improvement coaching and teamwork.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #26
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) View Post
Coming into this series NOBODY said the C's had an advantage or would win, all the talking heads said Cleveland had a clearly better team. All of a sudden nobody thinks Cleveland is any good and the C's are just going to destroy Cleveland.
Because that assessment is based purely on how the Celtics played during the season. The mainstream media did not want to take into account that the Celtics are just now getting healthy and are playing at full strength. They simply wanted to write them off as an old team on its last legs.

Quote:
While I believe the Celtics will beat the Cavs, I don't see the Celtics as the better team IF and ONLY IF the Cavs were playing to their potential. Looking at the last game tho, the Cavs GAVE UP, they didn't even try, not even Lebron tried.
I think the team gave up because LeBron gave up. Teams tend to key off their floor leaders and if the lead dog gives up the rest of them tend to follow suit, especially on teams that have nobody else who can step in and carry the team.

Quote:
Jamison vs KG - Ehhh, this is actually close. Jamison was a star in Washington, just because he isn't playing to his potential in Cleveland doesn't mean KG is better, it just means Mike Brown can't coach worth crap and Danny Ferry created a horrible team that has too many players and not enough minutes. You want to know who I'm picking? If Jamison was playing the way he did in Washington...KG is JUST SLIGHTLY better than Jamison.
I put that on Mike Brown who does not seem to know what to do with Jamison.

Quote:
Shaq vs. Perkins - Shaq...plain and simple.
This is not as big of an advantage as you want it to be. Shaq may be outscoring Perkins, but Perkins is beating him on the boards and is blocking more shots, and Shaq's main job is to rebound and clog up the middle on defense and he is not doing that. Perkins does not get as many touches as Shaq so he is never going to outscore him but he is outplaying him in other areas on the floor.

Quote:
Since I don't know who the Cavs SG is, I will presume that Ray Allen is better than the Cavs SG lol.
Anthony Parker, whom is supposed to be a defensive stopper but can't seem to keep with old man Allen.

Quote:
Benches - The Celtics have...Nate Robinson who never plays (sorry I like KryptoNate its sad he never plays)...Okay the rest of their bench includes Glen Davis, Rasheed, Tony Allen, and sometimes Micheal Finley. Vs. The Cavs bench of Delonte West, Z, Jamario Moon, Andy Varejao, and Daniel Gibson. Obviously their are more bench players I'm just naming the number two on the teams depth chart at each position. Breaking this down, Delonte West has been a good role player for the Cavs, ALWAYS, and was named as a reason for their success the past couple years despite his legal issues. Varejao brings the energy off the bench. Everyone knows Gibson CAN play, I attribute his problems lately to the coaching staff. Z is a fan favorite, WHY? Well he's good enough to be the starter on the team that made it too the finals. The C's have, Rasheed who has struggled, Glen Davis who is always in fould trouble, Tony Allen who is playing the SERIES of his life so there you go he's good. Krypto Nate who never plays, and Micheal Finley who is an old shooter losing his legs.
Well, first off, the Cavs are only really playing seven guys in their regular rotation. West and Varajeao are the only ones getting regular minutes while Moon and Hickson are getting about 8 to 10 minutes a game so they are relative non-factors.

Prior to game five Z and Gibson had played a grand total of 11 minutes the entire series and did not see a lot of action in the first round for that matter.

I'd argue that West and Tony Allen are basically on the same level talent-wise Allen has just been slowed by injuries the best couple of years. But they basically do the same thing which is come off the bench as a swing guard, defend, and hit a couple of threes.

The Celtics are basically going three deep with Allen, Wallace, and Davis with Finley getting a handful of minutes each game.

Honestly, from a talent standpoint the benches are probably a wash.

Quote:
Okay, if both teams have their players playing to their full potential, I call it dead even, and in a dead even matchup it comes down to your play maker, and in that respect you take Lebron. The problem is that the Cavs can't play as a team, their rotations are dumbfounding and their coach simply looks LOST. It's not a lack of talent its a lack of improvement coaching and teamwork.
I'd say the main issue with the Cavs is there is no real leadership anywhere on that team. Shaq has never been much in the department of team leadership and LeBron seems like the kind of guy who prefers to lead by example and is afraid to get in guys grills like Kobe does and like MJ, Bird, and Isiah used to do back in the day. There is no fire on that team. I think LeBron might be more worried about being buds with everyone instead of cracking some skulls and winning a championship. When you don't have that in a player on the floor then you best sure have that in your coach and they have neither.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #27
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I agree, that's what I'm saying, the Cavs are even or better than the Celtics, but that can only be proven with a solid leader. I've never seen Lebron as a leader and Mike Brown...god he sucks. Therefore the Celtics are going to probably win the series...maybe even tonite and the Cavs will go back to being a nobody whose fans NEVER show up because they suck. In Cleveland (unless your a football team) no fans show up unless your winning and the Cavs are not going to win when Lebron and Shaq leave after the season.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 PM   #28
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

I dont see how anyone can say the Cavs are better. The proof is in the pudding. I personally dont like the idea of saying guys are not playing up to their potential. WHY are they not playing up to their potential. Did they play all season and get to this point and DECIDE not to play to their potential. Heck no. They reason the Cavs are not playing to their potential is their opponent. They had heart all year so they did not just stop playing with heart they had their heart taken.
until I'm Tiger dead
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #29
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

King James?

Indeed! The King of the NBA Postseason Choke - just as Virginia Wade was characterized as the Queen of the Centre Court Choke for her exploits at Wimbledon (a tournament she did eventually win, however - there's a message in there somewhere?).
Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #30
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I love how in one instance LeBron says he has not even thought about free agency this summer and then a few minutes later says his team has a game plan in place that they are going to execute.

So, you haven't given it a moments thought all this time? Are you telling us that your team has an agenda in place that you had no influence in crafting or even signing off on?
Closed Thread