Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

View Poll Results: Biggest Underachiever?
Minnesota Timberwolves 5 31.25%
Houston Rockets 4 25.00%
Denver Nuggets 4 25.00%
Other 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road
Default Biggest underachievers thus far?

Call me a homer, but I pick my own hometown squad. 16-13?!

Last night KG drops a career and franchise high of 47 points, and his usual 17 rebounds, and we STILL lose! Other than Sczerbiak, nobody else is even coming close to KG' nightly output.

I know that Houston has Yao and T-Mac, and Denver was expected to be better, but the Wolves were picked by a lot of people to win the whole damn thing, or at the very least, represent the West in the Finals.

Glen Taylor came out today and said he is finished negotiating extensions for Cassell and Sprewell, and if we don't win it this year, he's blowing up the team, and getting younger.

Chris Ford of ESPN said that McHale is in talks with Boston, New Jersey, and Memphis for trading Cassell and/or Sprewell.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.

Last edited by FSUViking; 01-07-2005 at 01:12 PM.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

They're all good choices. How about New Orleans? From playoffs to 2-27 ... on pace to be the worst team EVER. They're SO bad that no one even talks about them. It's sad that teams like Houston and Denver get big-name players like T-Mac and K-Mart, yet are not improved. Perhaps they are just adjusting and will get it together in the second half.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

The Rockets. Yao Ming, T-Mac and they're playing sub .500 ball.

Not good.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I think it has to be the Nuggets. After last year's playoff trip, they were supposed to make that next step in acquring Kenyon Martin. But so far, they have looked worse than last year. Not to mention all the trouble Melo has been in so far off the court.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

For me its Memphis. I just really saw good things from them, their alittle below .500.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:11 AM   #6
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

dirtywhiteboy is on a distinguished road

T-Wolves are no suprise to me. Garnett, although good, isn't enough (obviously), and never will be. I've never been genuinely impressed by Garnett, anyhow. Yes, he'll get you the Sports Center highlight...but rarely the big win. He get's far too much attention. The guy is a career 20ppg/11rpg forward. Although good, they're not exactly all-world numbers. He's no better than Shawn Kemp in his prime. I realize that Kemp had a personal meltdown, and a drug problem that ended his career....but in his prime, Garnett is no better. With that said, I don't think it's a matter of the T-Wolves under-achieving as much as it's a matter of them just playing another average T-Wolve type of season. If you ask me, Flip has had long enough. He's not the answer.
My pick has to be Memphis.

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 01-06-2005 at 12:14 AM.
dirtywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Hornets. Record-setting bad.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #8
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Quote:
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy
T-Wolves are no suprise to me. Garnett, although good, isn't enough (obviously), and never will be. I've never been genuinely impressed by Garnett, anyhow. Yes, he'll get you the Sports Center highlight...but rarely the big win. He get's far too much attention. The guy is a career 20ppg/11rpg forward. Although good, they're not exactly all-world numbers. He's no better than Shawn Kemp in his prime. I realize that Kemp had a personal meltdown, and a drug problem that ended his career....but in his prime, Garnett is no better. With that said, I don't think it's a matter of the T-Wolves under-achieving as much as it's a matter of them just playing another average T-Wolve type of season. If you ask me, Flip has had long enough. He's not the answer.
My pick has to be Memphis.
Wow........just.....wow.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

I can't believe I'm the only one who picked the Wolves. Yeah, Denver was supposed to take the next step, and Houston was supposed to make the playoffs period, but the Timberwolves went from the best record in the West last year and the pre-season favorite by many people to win it ALL, and they are 16-14, and likely to not even get home court in the playoffs.

New Orleans? Give me a break. That's not underachieveing at all. 2 wins sucks, but did anybody seriously think they were a playoff team at all in the west? The go from a Eastern Conference playoff team, to a lottery team in the West. They are a notch above the Warriors, if even that.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:29 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

While I did not expect the Hornets to be a playoff team in the West, I don't think they would have made it with their record in the West last season, I did not expect them win only 2 of their first 30 games. I don't think anyone expected them to have the worst record in the league. I expected them to have at least 10 wins by now.

If the Wolves are underachievers what about the Pistons? They are the defending champs and only one game better than the Wolves at this point.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #11
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

Yeah, good point with the Pistons.

The Wolves lost to the Bulls (who ended a 9 game losing streak), the Pacers with only a 7 man roster (and 2 of those guys were just two knuckleheads signed off the street basically), the Raptors (sans Vince Carter, and also in a 9 game losing streak)and now to the Bobcats (who went on a 20-1 run in the 4th quarter).

But, hey....KG is no better than Shawn Kemp, so I guess it's no big surprise.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
Wow........just.....wow.
What's the "wow" for? Wasn't it just last year that the T-Wolves got out of the 1st round? Wouldn't their fans expect more this year? Garnett gets more help in the off-season with some new additions, and still no better? Ok, I take back what I said about Memphis. I agree with FSUVikings, and place the "underachiever" tag on the T-Wolves.
Also, good points about the Pistons. But, they were without Ben for a while. And if the "underachiever" tag is fair for Detroit, then throw it at the Pacers. They were under the same circumstances and aren't exactly lighting it up. I realize that they are missing a couple more guys, but it's the same principle. No bias here, either, as I'm a Pacer fan.
By the way....crackhead or not, Shawn Kemp was a damn fine player when he had his stuff together. It's no slight to Garnett to make that comparison. Judging by your take on that statement, I wonder if you're old enough to have watched Kemp in his prime/drug free years? Statisticly, he and Garnett have a lot in common when they are playing at their best...

Last edited by dirtywhiteboy; 01-07-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #13
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

It has NOTHING to do with Kevin Garnett.

It's Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell thinking that despite being well into their 30's, that Kevin McHale and Glen Taylor should back up the Brinks trucks and load them into their personal bank accounts.

Sprewell said "Why should I help this team win a title, if they won't pay me what I'm worth?"

Sam Cassell is no longer running the TEAM'S offense, and is runnign his own. Jacking up shots with :15 left ont he shot clock. Ignoring the only other guy on the team besides KG who is doing well on the floor, Wally Sczerbiak.

Sam and Spree are becoming a cancer on this team. Spree, more-so than Sam, IMO.

And who exactly did the Wolves get this off-season to help KG? The man who is the ONLY player in the NBA in the top 20 in PPG, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks.

Really parallells Shawn Kemp's career, though. I'm never going to let you live that down, because it is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Ever.

I'm 27 years old. Shawn Kemp used to be my favorite player, outside of MJ, as a kid. Your comparison is rediculous. Regardless of what you think of him, most people with basketball intellect realize that KG is easily one of the 2 or 3 best players in basketball today, or in recent years.

In your view, I guess we are all just "drinking the media's kool-aid" though, right?

Last edited by FSUViking; 01-07-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Minnesota will win when they get some of those personalities off of the team. Spreewell and Cassell need to go. Spreewell has been a problem child wherever he has been and appears to have worn out his welcome in Minnesota. The T-Wolves should trade him ASAP. His value can only decrease at this point and Minnesota isn't going to get any better.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #15
dirtywhiteboy
Mr. Cub

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
I'm never going to let you live that down
Is there something PERSONAL here that I'm unaware of? Listen, it's my opinion....nothing more. You disagree, ok. But don't fool yourself into thinking that I need you to "let me live down" what I said. Media cool-aid? I never said a thing about that. I said Garnett is a good player. I also said that, statisticly, (and yes, OUTSIDE OF THIS SEASON) he and Kemp match up fairly well in their primes. Meaning, when Kemp was not hooked on smack.
And you need to realize that, yes, Garnett has a lot to do with them not winning this year. What help? Sam, Latrell...they're your team aren't they? Do you need to be told who plays for them? You can take last year's team, then and some better guys....then, look that their record THIS YEAR, and see what's happened. No improvement. So, to say that Garnett is "without responsibility" for their poor showing is just "rediculous" (your word). I realize that you are a huge fan of KG, and that's fine. He is an outstanding player. But, if you'll RELEASE YOOR GRIP ON HIS NUTS, you'll realize how "rediculous" it is to say that he's TOLTALLY WITHOUT FAULT for the T-Wolves lack of success.
Every member of the team is to blame.

Last edited by Marc; 01-08-2005 at 01:37 PM.