Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #1
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road
Default Class of 2005

The Board of Selectors will meet in Jacksonville, Florida on Saturday, February 5, 2005, to elect the Hall of Fame Class of 2005. To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

At the 2005 election meeting, the selectors will thoroughly discuss the careers of each finalist before narrowing the field to six candidates. At least three candidates must be elected but the total class cannot number more than six.

http://www.profootballhof.com//enshr...elease_id=1370

Harry Carson - Linebacker - 1976-1988 New York Giants

Richard Dent - Defensive End - 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Benny Friedman - Quarterback - 1927 Cleveland Bulldogs, 1928

Detroit Wolverines, 1929-1931 New York Giants, 1932-1934 Brooklyn Dodgers

L.C. Greenwood - Defensive End - 1969-1981 Pittsburgh Steelers

Russ Grimm - Guard - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Claude Humphrey - Defensive End - 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles

Michael Irvin - Wide Receiver - 1988-1999 Dallas Cowboys

Bob Kuechenberg - Guard - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins

Dan Marino - Quarterback - 1983-1999 Miami Dolphins

Art Monk - Wide Receiver - 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles

Fritz Pollard - Back/Coach - 1919-1921, 1925-1926 Akron Pros/Indians, 1922 Milwaukee Badgers, 1923-1924 Gilberton Cadamounts (independent pro team), 1923, 1925 Hammond Pros, 1925 Providence Steam Roller

Derrick Thomas - Linebacker - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Roger Wehrli - Cornerback - 1969-1982 St. Louis Cardinals

George Young - Contributor - 1968-1974 Baltimore Colts, 1975-
1978 Miami Dolphins, 1979-1997 New York Giants, 1998-2001 National Football League

Steve Young - Quarterback - 1985-1986 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1987-1999 San Francisco 49ers

My picks would be in order:

#1 Dan Marino
#2 Steve Young
#3 Michael Irvin
#4 Art Monk
#5 Derrick Thomas

Last edited by MaddEnemy; 01-11-2005 at 03:03 PM.
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

Dan Marino and Steve Young are musts. These are perhaps the two greatest quarterbacks in NFL history.

From there on is a toss up. I like Michael Irvin (I am a Cowboys fan, ya know?) and I've been pushing for Art Monk since his name first appeared on the ballot. Sooner or later, he's in there.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

1. Dan Marino
2. Steve Young
3. Art Monk
Old 01-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
1. Dan Marino
2. Steve Young
3. Art Monk
My votes as well.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Friedman is a must, guys. He should have gotten in when the Hall opened in the 60s.

This is a really strong class. The only ones I definitely wouldn't support are Dent and Greenwood.

Friedman, Marino, Monk, and Steve Young would definitely make my ballot. After that... not sure. Probably Carson, Kooch, or Wehrli. The Hall has been way too stingy about DBs.

Other than Marino and Steve Young, I don't think anyone is a lock. Friedman's chances will be hurt because some voters won't want three QBs in one year. I feel like sympathy for Monk is growing, but his chances are hurt by Irvin (another WR) and Grimm (another 80s Washington guy) being on the ballot, and I would be very surprised if he gets in. Irvin has a pretty good chance, but he's not a sure thing by any means.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^Spot on.

Derrick Thomas could certainly get plenty of sympathy votes...and I wouldn't mind that at all. I agree with MaddEnemy's list, with the inclusion of Friedman.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

of course Marino and Young will get in...

i would like to see Irvin in because im a Cowboy fan of course. Thomas will get sympathy votes, but he was still a great player and i think he'll get in.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Marino (obviously)
Young (more than likely)
Thomas (probably, though maybe not altogether for the right reasons)

These are guys who strike me as locks. Marino is probably the only real mortal lock. Young probably is, but nowhere near as definite as Marino.

I don't know Friedman--Brad is the history buff here, making him reliable on that mark. I'm nowhere near the Bible right now (Total Football II) where I might be able to easily glance at what he did.

Funny that sentimentality leads me to want to see the two guys Brad wouldn't vote for in. Oh well. At least I admit it's sentiment and not statistics.

Sentimentality also leads me to want Art Monk in the HOF. Ahead of Irvin. But, again, that's a heart vote. I hate Irvin. Hated him then. Hate him now. Blah.

Humphrey, Grimm, and Kuechenberg would be in a HOF death match to get my sixth vote. Actually, I'm likely to let two of them in ahead of Thomas, I guess, but I'm not sure which two I'd take.

Dave
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

There were at least a couple of years where Derrick Thomas was just REALLY dominant. Didn't he have something like a 5 sack game? I remember how unbelievable they made him in Tecmo Bowl. I think he would deserve to get in even if they weren't looking to eulogize him this way.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
G-MenNMetsfan
All-Star Player

G-MenNMetsfan is on a distinguished road

Derrick Thomas is a bubble player for me, but I would lean toward yes. He was an outstanding player, but I'm sure the fact he died will hurt since it cut his career short. I would rather have him get in for his on the field credentials than for him to get in on sympathy.
G-MenNMetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Derrick Thomas
KB: Yeah, Thomas was a monster from 90-92. He had 7 sacks against Seattle in one game in 1990 and 6 sacks against the Raiders in the season opener in 1998. I remember that game vividly because I was watching it with two friends... a Raiders fan and a Chiefs fan.

Thomas was all-pro a few times and had double-digit sacks 6 times. He didn't have a complete game, but he was a good enough pass rusher that a legitimate Hall of Fame case can be made. If I had a vote, though, I probably would go "nay" on Thomas. In my mind, the Hall should be exclusive, and borderline = no.

Benny Friedman
Dave: Friedman was a rock star. Dr. Z has been pushing him for years, and the Bible falls barely short of campaigning for him:
Quote:
Friedman was one of the greatest players of the 1920s according to his contemporaries, his coaches, historians, and yes, Benny Friedman. No doubt, Benny's insistence on his own greatness ... hurt his case ... even though he probably was right.

In his first four seasons, he was phenomenal. Although official statistics were not kept, Benny appears to have completed more than half his passes (at a time when 35 percent was good) and each season launched many more touchdown passes than anyone else ... Tim Mara bought the entire Detroit team just to get Friedman for his Giants.
The stats that exist also reveal that Friedman led the NFL in both passing and rushing TDs in 1928 and one year later (1929) was the first player to toss 20 TD passes in a season.

When Friedman retired after the 1934 season, he had 4 of the top 5 TD-pass seasons in league history. No one even matched Friedman's second-best mark of 13 TDs (in 1930) until Cecil Isbell in 1941.

That's impressive by itself, but in context, it's mind-boggling. Isbell's marks came during WWII, when there were player shortages throughout the league, so guys like Isbell and his star receiver, Don Hutson, stood out more easily. More importantly, it had become legal to pass from anywhere behind the line of scrimmage. When Friedman played, you had to be 5 yards back, and most teams didn't pass much, period, to say nothing of successfully.

Art Monk
ps: Dave, Monk doesn't need sentimentality. He (not Jerry Rice) was the last player to concurrently hold the NFL records for receptions in a career, receptions in a season, and consecutive games with a reception. Monk has three Super Bowl rings. He shattered the single-season receptions record and held it for almost a decade, when wide-spread use of the "West Coast" Offense made its fall inevitable. He caught his passes from no-names like Doug Williams and Mark Rypien and shared them with fellow Pro Bowlers like Gary Clark. All this in a run-oriented Joe Gibbs offense that ran more than twice as often as it passed in 1983, the year before Monk's greatest season.

It's worth mentioning that right now, Washington's 1987 and 1991 Super Bowl teams have a combined zero players in the Hall. Monk and a Hog or two need to be in, and Darrell Green of course when he becomes eligible.

Last edited by Brad O.; 01-13-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I did some Friedman research in the Bible this morning. Funny how they didn't keep actual stats for a period.

I didn't see the passage you cite, but I did note in the History of QBs article that he is credited for taking Curly Lambeau's idea of throwing and doing it a ton more than anyone else ever considered. My favorite line (I don't have the Bible in front of me, so I'm paraphrasing) refers to his calling passes on first down, something no one ever really did before.

It's interesting how the occasional frontierman gets lost in the shuffle.

He can have my vote. And if 3 QBs is too many, he can have Young's spot, who will get in soon enough anyway.

I didn't realize no one from those 'Skins teams wasn't in yet. Not even one of the Hogs. That's a fairly glaring oversight, in my opinion.

Russ Grimm and Jacoby were two of my favorite players from that period, despite their not playing for the Steelers.

Dave