Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 05-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #1
wingoilerfan
Grizzled Veteran

wingoilerfan is on a distinguished road
Default For NHL hockey fans ...

Since nearly an entire season has gone by without one NHL game being played, what do you miss most about NHL hockey?

The playoffs (which I call the second season)? The rivalries? How about everything?

I miss watching Steve Yzerman dig the puck out of the corner and unselfishly dish it off to a teammate for a goal. I miss watching the Oilers on Saturday night whenever CBC decides to show them ... not to mention what could have been the latest Oilers-Stars playoff matchup.

So ... what do you miss about NHL hockey?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Nothing!.

I'm waiting for the Phoenix Roadrunners to start up in october for some ECHL action. The NHL and the players have ruined pro hockey in North America for years to come.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm satisfying my hockey craving with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL. The Baby Pens won their first round play off series match up with the Binghamton Senators last night. The Penguins now face the Philadelphia Phantoms in the East Division Final.

Lets Go Pens!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
wingoilerfan
Grizzled Veteran

I had watched a handful of Grand Rapids Griffins games ... whenever Comcast dictates that I can watch them. :lol:

NHL player greed ... now that is one thing I won't miss about the NHL ...
Old 05-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

The Lightning raising the banner at the Forum.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

Yo, Pimpbot. I used to love the ECHL. But they have all these teams like Las Vegas and Phenox. Isn't it the East Coast Hockey League? Whats going on, has it majorly expanded?

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by The Executioner
Yo, Pimpbot. I used to love the ECHL. But they have all these teams like Las Vegas and Phenox. Isn't it the East Coast Hockey League? Whats going on, has it majorly expanded?
It absorbed the West Cost Hockey League a couple of seasons ago and that began the West Coast expansion. I'm an AHL guy so I don't know a whole lot about the ECHL but I'm surprised that having teams so far apart hasn't sent the league into financial ruins.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #8
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing these guys are not flying to and from games on their own plane. I read where the Phoenix team needs to sell 5000 tickets a game to make it worth their while. Tickets are very reasonable imo, as you can get a next to the glass seat for a Roadrunners game at America West Arena for $52 dollars. Cheapest seats are $7 and they are not seeling tickets for the notorious section of AWA where you couldn't see the goal posts which always plagued Coyotes games.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
wingoilerfan
Grizzled Veteran

I used to watch all the Vipers home games when the IHL was still in existence (since, unlike Wings tickets, we could afford Vipers tickets) ... unfortunately, the Vipers pretty much went from the penthouse to the outhouse in a span of a couple years and the IHL folded soon afterward.

There are a few teams relatively close by, but it'd take well over an hour to go see the Plymouth Whalers or the Motor City Mechanics, with metro Detroit traffic and all ...

And with all that I miss about NHL hockey, there are more than a few things I will not miss about NHL hockey as it is now ...
Old 05-14-2005, 01:35 AM   #10
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

I'm a big time Detroit Red Wings Fan, I am from Fraser, MI (Home of the Motor City Mechanics) but I'm in the Navy and stationed in Seattle. I've been in the Navy for over 20 years so far, and living in Seattle since 91 after living in Honolulu for three years, and 4 year in San Diego before that (all with the Navy). What I miss is Hockey Night in Canada, and some stupid Melrose comments throughout the season. ...Not really, what I really miss is going the the Canucks game just up the highway when the Red Wings come to Vancouver, and it is just great, so many Red Wings jerseys, you wouldn't believe it! Wings FANS ARE EVERYWHERE!
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

Red Wings fans are like Yankees fans- no matter wherever the team plays there is a large number of fans present. I went to Wings-Rangers game at the Garden a couple of years ago and was astonished by the number of Red Wings fans there were in the northeast.