Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Talking Shaq comments on Lakers' draft pick...

This guy is so awesome. I love Shaq. He can get away with referring to himself in third person.
Quote:
Shaquille O'Neal, entering the last year of a three-year contract extension he initially signed with the Lakers, is getting closer to an extension with the Miami Heat, team President Pat Riley told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Monday. There was other talk of the future from O'Neal, specifically about Andrew Bynum, the Lakers' first-round selection in last month's draft. Bynum, 17, invited a comparison to O'Neal on draft day, with one exception he makes his free throws, he said. "Tell him Shaq doesn't respond to juvenile delinquents without a college degree," O'Neal said. "Tell him to get his degree and we can talk. In the meantime, he should call me Dr. Shaq because I'm working on my PhD."
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

You know what, I love Shaq and all, but I feel completely opposite about that comment. It struck me as just Shaq taking the opportunity to boast about his degree and make innappropriate comments about his (eventual) 'replacement' Andrew Bynum. Bynum does not have a criminal record and is not a juvenile delinquent.

This isn't the first time Shaq has made stupid comments, of course, but I usually enjoy them because they are usually funny.

This one was not funny. It was just stupid and pointless.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I guess you'd have to put them in context. Thing is, if you make a list of Shaq quotes without seeing the smile (or lack there of) on his face, you don't know his intentions. You'd have to see if Bynum was joking too.

If both were joking, no foul.

If Bynum was joking and Shaq wasn't, no foul because Shaq is the elder and a legend.

If Bynum was not joking and Shaq was, no foul because the target (Shaq) laughed it off.

If both weren't joking, Bynum has work to do and Shaq should hit the exercise bike instead of responding to kids in diapers.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
and Shaq should hit the exercise bike instead of responding to kids in diapers.
Actually I would put his Shaqness on his personal b-ball court every day shooting at least 100 free throws first.
He already lost enough weight to be competitive, but is still freaking ghastly from the charity stripe. Who knows? That could have been the difference in the Detroit series.

Shaq needs to rehire his free throw coach.

If you force me to pick a champion though, for next season... I go with Miami.

You gotta love the Shaq/D-Wade combo...
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 AM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

His free throws will never improve. At this point, it is a mental block. I watched him during the pregame shootaround a few years back (not sure which game, but it was before 2000 cause I am certain I was at The Forum) and he hit something like 18 of 20 free throws.

Anyway, the Kobe situation will buy Shaq only so much time (I say time is up, he NEEDS to win a ring this year) as far as not getting his 4th title is concerned. Circumstances be damned, the legends can't go this long without winning a title. If the Heat don't win it all this year, Shaq should receive serious criticism on not getting another banner in the rafters.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"Tell him Shaq doesn't respond to juvenile delinquents without a college degree. Tell him to get his degree and we can talk."
I put this statement into context, and I know he was answering a question about a laughable statement the young Andrew Bynum made on draft day.

But, obviously from the juvenile delinquent, to the no college degree comments, it was a clever way for Shaquille O'Neal to sneak another personal attack at Kobe Bryant in the media.

Pretty blatant and again another foolish, stupid remark about issues that don't need to be aired out in public by the "legend."

Who is the one that acts juvenile?
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

i dont think his comments are serious. Shaq says silly stuff like this all the time. this is no different.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
JayRedd
All-Star Player

JayRedd is on a distinguished road

I hate it when people criticize stuff that Shaq says. Dude is funny, charismatic and one of the few athletes that is allowed to speak like a normal person to the media.

Would you rather he just act like everyone else and say stuff like "I hope the kid has a bright future. I wish him the best. All I can do is go out there and give 100% every time we play the Lakers."

Yawn
Old 07-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
Deluxe
Sports Enthusiast

Deluxe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by tobynosker
Who is the one that acts juvenile?
Shaq may say some stupid things every now and then, but Kobe is the juvenile. Some people say he has started to mature, but he still has a long way to go.
Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:28 PM   #10
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Okay, what the hell does a 17 year old, possible Olowokandi #2 thinks he's doing just randomly taking shots at the most dominant player in the league. I hope Shaq flattens OlowoBynum on his ass for saying such stupid crap in the next Laker/Heat game.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

toby...

Yep, that's obvious. Problem is, you can't come up with that theory. Only Kobe can. Remember, the world revolves around him, not you. I think I'll send both of you that song by Garbage, "I think I'm paranoid" for Christmas. Happy inner demons!
Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 AM   #12
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by JayRedd
I hate it when people criticize stuff that Shaq says. Dude is funny, charismatic and one of the few athletes that is allowed to speak like a normal person to the media.

Would you rather he just act like everyone else and say stuff like "I hope the kid has a bright future. I wish him the best. All I can do is go out there and give 100% every time we play the Lakers."

Yawn
I agree, dude is funny and one of the only (if not THE only) NBA player that says whatever he wants, whenever he wants. It's hard to not like Shaq; he's such an entertainer.
But no comedian 'hits' every time, and this one, in my opinion was a dud.

When asked about his thoughts on what Andrew Bynum said about him, Shaq could have said it all by just using his Kobe strategy: "Andrew who? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the name."
Old 07-16-2005, 03:48 AM   #13
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
I think I'll send both of you that song by Garbage, "I think I'm paranoid" for Christmas. Happy inner demons!
...speaking of comedic duds... :lol: