Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road
Default Packers to hire McCarthy

...and not Jenny McCarthy, though she would be a great cheerleader or something. Here's the story: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

I wonder if they chose him because he was the SF offensive coordinator, just like Holmgren. It can't possibly be because his QB threw 2 TDs and 18 INTs. Kidding, i don't have a strong opinion on him... i should be glad they didn't hire Payton or Phillips. I was hoping for Fassel (who wasn't interviewed) or Bates, but then again I was hoping for Parcells back in the 90s when Holmgren was hired so maybe i'll be wrong again (i hope)
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about this guy. Important to note that McCarthy was a former QB coach for Farve.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 AM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Maybe he was hired to keep Brett from retiring?
Seriously, I hope he does well. It's tough seeing the Pack at the bottom of the standings, even though I'm a Vikings fan.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Have all these teams been obeying the "consent decree" and interviewing at least one "minority" candidate before hiring someone?

Gotta admit I that haven't been keeping a close watch on this.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Have all these teams been obeying the "consent decree" and interviewing at least one "minority" candidate before hiring someone?

Gotta admit I that haven't been keeping a close watch on this.
The Packers interviewed Tim Lewis and Maurice Carthon, both racial minorities

And the Chiefs obviously hired Herm Edwards
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:36 AM   #6
Anthony

But it is kind of a joke that the coordinator of the worst offense in the NFL this year - and indeed, the second-worst in the entire chuck-rule era (after the 1992 Seahawks) gets hired to a head-coaching position - and he just happens to be white.

Who knows? Maybe the next vacancy will be filled by Houston's offensive line coach!

Last edited by Anthony; 01-12-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I have to say, Anthony has a pretty good point. It does beg the question: what is the motivation for hiring a guy without any substantial pedigree.

That said, what pedigree did a guy like Andy Reid have when he was hired in Philadelphia?

And, while I've not watched it closely, Anthony, nearly everyone with a vacancy is interviewing both Tim Lewis and Maurice Carthon. So, they're getting their shots in for next year's vacancies. I'm not sure how deep Carthon's qualifications really run, but Lewis is well-respected, though, imo, fairly overrated as a DC.

Guys like Blache in Washington (Gregg Williams' defensive mastermind ), Rivera in Chicago, etc., will also be out interviewing for real as soon as Monday, with one or both of those teams likely to be out of the playoffs. Blache will get serious looks, btw. The '01 Chicago Bears who the '05 Bears so starkly resemble was designed by the man. If he doesn't get a HC this year, it seems likely he'll part from Washington to be his own DC somewhere else, if he can.
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Anthony

At least Andy Reid wasn't a bum - he was Brett Favre's quarterback coach at the end of his tenure in Green Bay, wasn't he?

OK, Reid wasn't famous in the spring of 1999 - but he wasn't infamous either, like McCarthy.

And I have to believe that the Tim Lewis and Maurice Carthon interviews are sheer window dressing.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

In Reid's defense at least he came from the Holmgren family of assistants and as Anthony points out he was very instrumental in Favre's development in Green Bay and most media folk were at least aware the guy existed when he was hired although some were suprised at the hiring at the time.

But, when I saw this story during the Duke game last night I had to go look the guy up because I had never heard of him. On top of that it is not as if the offenses he ran in New Orleans and San Fran were anything special nor was he part of an overwhelmingly successful franchise the past several years. I have to really wonder what the thinking was in this decision. I have to truly think that if they cared about what happened with Favre they would have hired Mariucci.

I wonder how much longer Jim Bates hangs around seeing as they passed him over for the head job.

Speaking of minority candidates who did the Vikes interview other than Childress?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
Speaking of minority candidates who did the Vikes interview other than Childress?
Good point... I don't think they looked at anyone else.
Quote:
Vikings owner Zygi Wilf wasted little time contacting Brad Childress. Childress says the Vikings called him Monday afternoon.
"These guys are rather persistent," Childress said. "I'd just gotten the last player out of my office at about 1 o'clock, with the exit interviews on Monday."
Within a few hours, Childress was on a plane to the Twin Cities to have dinner with Wilf and other members of the ownership group. On Tuesday, he was in a meeting with legendary former Vikings coach Bud Grant. He stayed over on Wednesday when the Wilfs asked him back for a second interview. By Friday morning, the deal was done.
I remember correctly, they annouced the firing of Tice about an hour after they won their final game week 17.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #11
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

They couldn't find anyone better than the San Francisco offensive coordinator? They had a lot of other experienced guys they could have gone after, I'm not sure how many of them would have been willing to take the job in Green Bay but they could have at least tried.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I don't know enough about McCarthy to make a fair judgment, but was he really the best the Pack could get? The OC of the WORST offense in football?

The NFL wants parity, it got parity. The Packers have managed to go from being one of the best teams in 2003 to one of the worst by the end of 2005. Cardinals, Texans and 49ers are about the only teams the Packers can look down on. Boy will it be depressing if by mid-season, Pack fans are longing for the Mike Sherman days.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I have to believe that him being Favre's QB coach has to have s'thing to do w/ his hiring. As Alex pointed out this guy has one of the worst resume's in the NFL (the OC of the WORST "O" in the NFL).
Old 01-12-2006, 11:31 PM   #14
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I have to believe that him being Favre's QB coach has to have s'thing to do w/ his hiring. As Alex pointed out this guy has one of the worst resume's in the NFL (the OC of the WORST "O" in the NFL).
Then again if you look at the players on that SF offense, you can't really put the blame on the coordinator. I just think they could have found someone with more experience.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
Except, if I am not mistaken, Favre was shilling for Mooch to be hired.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote