Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-21-2006, 08:15 PM   #16
carter08
Mr. Tambourine Man

carter08 is on a distinguished road

I smell a troll
Old 06-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Once again I don't think people dislike Cuban for who he is, just what he does. I heard a him speak at a couple of internet seminars a few years back and he is a very intelligent businessman and marketer. My problem is that he is always on the league and the officials when his team is on the short-end of the stick but he is happy as a drunk in a moonshine factory when his team is winning. He is complaining about the officials now but when his team was getting all the calls everything was fine. I am sure there are people in San Antonio and Phoenix who believe that the got way to many calls, but they were too classy to complain about it. When others get hosed and have the class to suck it up and not whine against the Mavs it makes Cuban look classless when he whines about not getting calls.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #18
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

People like Cuban because he is a classic example of the entitlement mindset. Plain and simple.

That's the reason why I like guys like Pat Riley, Jerry West, Hubie Brown, Rudy T., Jack Ramsey, and Joe Dumars. They've worked harder than everyone else and EARNED their merits.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #19
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCubanSucks
What? You guys are smocking crack. I dont give a sh** if he has a billion or a trillion dollars no NBA franchise owner acts the way he does. The unstopable bulls, the old time celtics I can go on and on. No team in NBA's history had such a moron as a owner as Cuban. Give me a break its called passion? So passion is having court side seats and acting like your bank account went down to zero everytime a ref misses a call or you team loses? No team once again had such drama and a pathetic owner like that moron. In boxing 2 guys talk trash for monthes untill the fight then they get their faces bashed and get knocked out but when its all done and over for the most part every fighter gives credit to the guy that put him down on the canvas. Cuban has no one to give credit to. Instead of keeping a cool and just acting like a owner he acts like a player on the bench plus the coach together as one. If you're a Cuban fan then sorry to say that you have no passion for the game. The game of basketball is not made for drama qweens or stupid moron billionares who cry like little 12 year old girls. The game of basketball should not focus its attention on some guy who made money and bought a team so hey lets put the camera on his ugly face everytime he jumps off his seat and yells somemething louder then any audicance member. The game of basketball should is for the players to show their skills and us fans to enjoy it. Weather the team we like wins or loses thats the game and thats the hole fun of it waiting for that one day until your team goes all the way. All this bullsh** about Cuban should be kept behind closed doory if he likes drama then he should dump his ungly ass wife and go gay he looke like he can fit just fine with his 3 stooges hair doe anyways.
First off, in the way you used it, it is whether not weather.

Secondly, I don't like your point that no other franchise owner acts like him. No one dunked and played the game like it is played today untill Dr. J came along. Do we look back and say " He played like no other NBA player at the time. That guy was 'smocking' crack. What an idiot." No... we don't.

Mark Cuban is a great objectivist, who we could all learn something from.

He has passion for what he does and he puts everything into it. When he feels that something is wrong, he says something about it. He doesn't just cowardly hold back just because it may make him look bad or because it may not be what other people want him to do.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter08
I smell a troll
No... I smell a moron, who needs to take advantage of the spell check feature and get a grip on reality.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #21
carter08
Mr. Tambourine Man

carter08 is on a distinguished road

Although he only joined to make these posts. Stirring the pot
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #22
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

How can you not like Cuban he is the everyman. Tell me one other Millionaire who would work at a dairy queen for a day. One. You can't.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:58 AM   #23
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3
How can you not like Cuban he is the everyman. Tell me one other Millionaire who would work at a dairy queen for a day. One. You can't.
Not to single you out dave, but I can honestly say I have never felt more alienated from a group of people in my life as I do now reading what everyone in here has to say that likes Cuban. And not to perpetuate the general rift on the boards between the older posters (me, tray, and Tarkus for starters) and the younger guys, but the mere idea that Cuban is the "everyman" or the exemplification of being a success while holding true anything remotely close to the morals, values, and work ethic that really make one a man is disgusting and offensive to people who actually do so.

I'm actually surprised at the disconnect with you personally dave. Didn't you go down to help people out after Katrina? They work at Dairy Queen EVERYDAY. Wonder what that makes them? Oh yea, poor white trash and ni**ers.

Don't mind me young people. I've been trying to teach "experience" for 15 to 20 years now. It doesn't work...sadly.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
Not to single you out dave, but I can honestly say I have never felt more alienated from a group of people in my life as I do now reading what everyone in here has to say that likes Cuban. And not to perpetuate the general rift on the boards between the older posters (me, tray, and Tarkus for starters) and the younger guys, but the mere idea that Cuban is the "everyman" or the exemplification of being a success while holding true anything remotely close to the morals, values, and work ethic that really make one a man is disgusting and offensive to people who actually do so.

Don't mind me young people. I've been trying to teach "experience" for 15 to 20 years now. It doesn't work...sadly.
Buckeye, please forgive us our bourgeois attitudes. Gee, all you have to do is go into Wikipedia and you'll discover that this guy was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth - he earned his way to college by giving disco dancing lessons, for cryin' out loud!!!:lol: He founded a computer company years ago and yes, he did make his billions from the Dot.com boom (smart move to sell out before the bust, IMO), Obviously he didn't make his money the old-fashioned way, by inheriting it, which is more odious, IMO.

Plain & simple, he's what you call an Entrepreneur, Buckeye (and a very successful one at that). Many of us aspire to that life, and IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don't recall anyone on here saying he was currently an "Everyman", but, without knowing him personally, he definitely comes across like he was before he "earned" (yes, he actually earned) his billions.

Edit: Whoops, I guess Dave DID say he is the everyman! Sorry!

Last edited by suedon1970; 06-22-2006 at 12:45 PM.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #25
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

I have done enough complaining in the baseball threads about Kansas City Royals owner David Glass, and part of that comes from Glass being the complete opposite of Mark Cuban and really lacking a passion or desire for the team he owns.

And to quickly (and hopefully quietly) shift the focus to movies, Cuban did help to greenlight the great documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room.

Cuban was also the executive producer on this year's Akeelah and the Bee, one of last year's Oscar nominees for Best Picture Good Night, and Good Luck and the unique and rather interesting Steven Soderbergh vehicle Bubble.

His track record is almost flawless in the entertainment industry.

But who could forget about that terrible reality television show the Benefactor.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM   #26
Ellis
gymnopedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
People like Cuban because he is a classic example of the entitlement mindset. Plain and simple.
I would not say that he has an "entiltement" mindset. He is a guy that doesn't sit back and get walked over. He stands up for what he believes in and when he feels that something is wrong, he says it. In no way does he have to earn it.

Buckeye, since you are a teacher, I am just curious to whether you have ever read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Cuban said he has read it many times and I think that that is where he is coming from.

Last edited by Ellis; 06-22-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #27
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
No... I smell a moron, who needs to take advantage of the spell check feature and get a grip on reality.
I smell a thread flirting with closure.... let's make sure we don't use personal attacks. Everyone's entitled to their opinions...
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #28
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Interesting Page 2 article on the Mark Cuban situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab2pos2

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:13 AM   #29
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

NY Jay 05...

Interesting read, thanks for the link! I don't agree with the article, but it did kind of paint an enlightening picture of Cuban-Haters' beefs.

carter08...

You're free to use any signature that you like, as long as it doesn't violate any of the rules, and yours doesn't.... However, that being said... would you PLEASE scale down that font just a little bit?? That is just about the most annoying signature I've ever seen, no offense intended, but I guarantee you everyone else here is thinking the same thing. Thanks man...
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #30
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
We have a "spell check" here at SC? Why was I not notified? :redhot: And you all have laughing behind my back at my aweful spelling!!!