Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 10-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #31
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Just can't stop the Sabres. They look unbeatable (probably has something to do with them still being unbeaten). They go for the record for best start to the season tomorrow night against a good Atlanta Thrashers team.

Also, in case anyone here missed it on SportsCenter, this is the goal of the year. And yes, I know it's only October. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC2yFu_GWTU&NR
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #32
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

The Penguins just owned the Phlyers tonight. 8-2 and Crosby had a hat trick.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #33
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
The Penguins just owned the Phlyers tonight. 8-2 and Crosby had a hat trick.
Nothing could possibly describe just how opposite the directions these teams are headed in like this game did. What a beat down.

Also, Atlanta beat Buffalo in a shootout on Saturday. No more unbeatens. Not a lot of press for Atlanta, so far, but they're a major player this season in the Eastern Conference.

The Kings... still languishing. Another loss to Dallas. I hate losing to Dallas.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #34
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The depression continues...

The injury riddled Hawks can't buy a break as they lose 2-1 to the Red Wings for their 7th straight loss...

Old 11-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #35
Hall of Famer

Forgot to post this yesterday, but I saw Malkin, Crosby, and the Pens beat the Kings in OT on Tuesday. Those guys are incredible. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any knowledgable sports fan who would disagree with the statement that Malkin/Crosby is the most exciting duo in sports, right now.

Malkin: 7 goals, 4 assists in his first six games. Tied the record for consecutive goals scored to start a career.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-05-2006, 05:20 AM   #36
Ellis
gymnopedist

The Pens lost to San Jose tonight 3-2. All of our goals were scored by our third line. It was a shame because the Pens really played hard. They had a goal that should have counted, but the ref thought that the goalie had it covered and they called it no goal.

Even though it was a tough loss, the team fought hard, which is all you can ask for.

Their next game is away against the Ducks. It is going to be a tough one, but will be a huge confidence builder if they can go in and win.

Crosby looked bad tonight. He tried to carry the puck too much. He didn't shoot when he had open shots. Instead he kept passing through the slot which got intercepted almost every time. i don't even think Crosby had a shot all game. Malkin had a few scoring chances but just couldn't cash in.

The Pens have some tough games ahead of them over the next 5 games. It will be a true test of character. If they can come out and win 3 of the next 5 it will really be a sign that they are a playoff contender. (In the next five games they have to play the Ducks, the Lightning, the Senators, the Rangers, and forget the other team.)

Last edited by Ellis; 11-05-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #37
Ellis
gymnopedist

Mark Cuban, a native Pittsburgher had some great things to say about the Pens on his blog....

Quote:
Evgeni Malkin & the NHL - Are you kidding me ?
Nov 2nd 2006 9:50AM

I already know that not creating my own ownership group to buy the Penguins will go down as a huge mistake. There are only so many hours in the day, and I didnt have the time, or the expertise in hockey to do it right. My mistake.

Im still an NBA junkie first and foremost, but a long time NHL fan as well. When the Mavs were in Pittsburgh to play the Cavs in a preseason game, I snuck in to Mellon Arena and managed to catch the last period of the Pens - Devils game. Hockey games are fun to go to. Watching the NHL on HDNet is great. But what I say in just 1 period in Pittsburgh was the most exciting glimpse of NHL greatness I have ever seen.

In the 3rd period of a 3-2 game, Malkin took a bullet pass straight to the stick from Sid the Kid Crosby, did a cross over move with a puck, that if Allen Iverson would have done it with a basketball, would have broken several ankles, split two defenders, nothing but net.

I'm a Stars and Pens season ticket holder and have been going to hockey games since I was a kid. This was the first time I literally just stood, my jaw dropping in amazement and just shook my head. The most amazing goal I had ever seen. The entire arena stood and every one just looked at each other with that "Are you kidding me" look. I was with Al Whitley, the Mavs equipment manager who is from Vancouver and we just looked at each other and laughed. It seemed like a minute before the crowd actually cheered. Thats how amazing it was.

The Pens took home a 4-2 W, which was cool. I stopped in the fan shop, picked up my Malkin Sweater for a not so cheap $277 dollars and headed back to the hotel.

The next night was our Mavs Cavs game. I obviously was pumped to bring our Mavs back to my hometown. I had tons of friends there. People I hadnt seen since junior high were coming up and telling me stories. Obviously since it was an exhibition game, things were casual. I got to meet Lebron for the first time. It was just a good start to what would be a fun night.

During the 2nd half, I walked over and sat down with some of my high school buddies who had gotten tickets in the front row behind the Cavs bench. While Im yucking it up with them, with Lebron, DJones, Scott Pollard and others giving me a hard time , the security guard points up to some seats at mid court and lets us know that Malkin is here at the game.

So with Lebron and the Cavs right there, the game going on, my attention turns to how i can run back to the locker room, get my Malkin jersey that I had bought the night before, and then get up to Malkin who barely speaks any English and doesnt know me from Adam, to sign my Malkin Jersey.

So the next time out, I run back to the locker room, get the jersey and a sharpie. I didnt want to create a distraction by shuffling in front of 3 rows of people to get to him from where we were, so i had to spend the next 5 minutes convincing Boafie, my high school buddy to take the trip for me.

After a few minutes of coaxing, Boafie set off on the mission to get an autograph from my new all time favorite NHL player. We obviously were following the treck and when he got to Malkin, watching Boafie try to explain that the jersey was for me to a guy who doesnt speak english. was worth the price of admission. Finally , he just put the jersey in his lap, pen in his hand and pointed. He got it signed.

The Mavs won on last second free throws. The highlight of the night. My autographed Malkin Jersey.

You may or may not be an NHL fan, but if you are a fan of greatness in the making, watch the Pens. Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Jordan Staal, Marc-Andre Fleury , the oldest of the 4 is about 20 years old. All have super star qualities. Crosby and Malkin ? They will not only remind Pens and NHL fans of Mario and Jamir Jagr, but could have them wondering whether watching them play together is what watching Mario and Gretzky playing together would have been like.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #38
Hall of Famer

High-scoring 6-5 win for the Kings over the Avs last night. Nice way to end a road trip. Too bad they lost 6-4 to miserable Phoenix the game before.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #39
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Hard to get to charged up about it but the Hawks break an 8 game skid with Friday's 3-1 win over the Blues...

It'd be nice to have some healthy players....
Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 AM   #40
imaginepageant
Avalanche Love, Baby

imaginepageant is on a distinguished road

It's sad to watch my Avs in such a skid. I'm losing a lot of faith in Jose Theodore. He just isn't what the Avs want him to be.
imaginepageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #41
Hall of Famer

The Kings just blew a game against the Flyers. Everyone's beating the Flyers, return of Forsberg or not. Man, are the Kings awful...
Sports Again?!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #42
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Powerplay kills the Pens as the go 0-6 and lose to the Sabres 4-2.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #43
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Huge win against the Rangers last night for the Penguins. Pens are now 7-1 against divison teams. And 6 of their next 7 games come against division teams. Hey, if you want to get into the playoffs, one way is to win your division.

I don't know if I've seen a more inconsitent team than the Senators this year. Huge win against the Sabres last night.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #44
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Wow, the Islanders are in 2nd place in the Atlantic Division. That's a pleasant surprise.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #45
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

Yeah, but a win by the Pens on Monday against the miserable Flyers and then the Pens are sitting in 2nd