Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

I think they'll crush them...AFC is so dominant over the NFC and Rex Grossman is a complete liability. I'd lay up to 9.5 in this game.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

That run defense has shut down every back in the playoffs...and LJ, Jamal Lewis, and Corey Dillon all have the same running style as Jones and Benson. It'll be easier too, knowing that the QB for the Bears is quite possibly the worst to start in a superbowl in NFL history.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough
Default Official Superbowl Thread -- Bears vs. Colts

This Superbowl has a couple of "blue-collar" Midwest teams that some on the coasts do not care about. Neither team has a great tradition of being in the big games, but both teams are capable of winning.
What does everyone think? Will Peyton finally win the "big one"?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Here you go, Ellis. Now we have a Superbowl thread -- and I'm not even a football fan.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Colts have major advantage. The Cover 2 is designed to kill the QBs who are impatient and try to force a deep strike-- the D always stays back. Only points from Chicagoīs D can win them this game (of course, thatīs happened several times before... like in NO or against Ariz). My pickīs the Colts
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It depends on how well Chicago's o-line plays. If they can keep Freeney off of Grossman and give him time to throw the Bears will be okay. Where Grossman gets in trouble is when the Bears do not give him adequate time and he is forced into making bad decisions with the ball.

Given how well the Bears have run the ball in the playoffs they are likely going to try and establish the run early to keep Manning off of the field anyway.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Coming into the playoffs, anyone who played the Colts would try to establish the run....and then run some more

I'm sticking with the Colts to win. I said before the playoffs started I thought this would be their year, because after all the let-downs in recent years, they looked so beatable this time around. If it didn't work when they seemed at the top of their game, it would work when they seemed destined to lose!

Either way, I hope it's a good game and not a blow-out early for either side.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
It depends on how well Chicago's o-line plays. If they can keep Freeney off of Grossman and give him time to throw the Bears will be okay. Where Grossman gets in trouble is when the Bears do not give him adequate time and he is forced into making bad decisions with the ball.

Given how well the Bears have run the ball in the playoffs they are likely going to try and establish the run early to keep Manning off of the field anyway.
I disagree with the first paragraph because of the second. The Bears won't throw much, so I don't anticipate seeing Freeney tee-off on Grossman very often. But I see Grossman making dumb decisions even with 3 to 4 full seconds to throw (thanks to the running game forcing the Colts to load the line on anything less than 3rd and 7).... we'll see
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Conover
Rookie Player

Conover is on a distinguished road
Default My Analysis of the game by position

Letís break down the game by position:

Quarterback: I donít even know how anyone would consider debating this position. Rex Grossman just flat out sucks. Peyton Manning is already preparing his Hall of Fame induction speech. If the Bears allow this game to become a shootout, which I donít think will happen, then Manning will torch them all over the place. Edge: Colts

Running Back: While Joseph Addai is certainly reliable and can give you decent output, this is where the Bears shine. Thomas Jones and Cedrick Benson have proved game in and game out to be invaluable to the Bears success. If this game goes into a defensive struggle, and you need a running back, the Bears win this battle. Edge: Bears

Receivers/TE: Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Company are the best in the league. The Bears receivers wouldnít even make the Colts roster as a 5th or 6th receiver. Of course, the receivers success is predicated on how their quarterback is playing that day. Iíd take Peyton Manningís bad day over Rex Grossman on his best day. And if Chicago doubles the WRís then look for Manning to find his TE and FB out of the backfield. Edge: Colts

Offensive Line: Too often you see Rex Grossman running for his life and ducking for cover. More often then not Peyton Manning has ample time to throw. Both lines are adept at opening adequate holes for their RBís to plow through. The experience of the Colts line and continuity are the mild favorite here if I had to choose between either squad. Edge: Colts

Defensive Line: The Colts D line is very one dimensional. They have a great pass rush, but if you have any sort of running game you can exploit them. The Bears are much more balanced and have proven to be just as adept at stopping the run, as they do in getting to the QB to make a sack or create a turnover. Edge: Bears

Linebackers: Brian Urlacher. Any questions? Edge: Bears

Secondary: This is the Bears weakness on defense, if you can call it that. And frankly, I canít name any DB on either squad. But the reason teams choose to rush on the Colts is that they shut down the passing game. The Bears can only hope that their front 7 gets to Peyton Manning before he exploits their weaknesses in the secondary. Edge: Colts

Special Teams: I would be concerned if I were a Colts fan, because the Patriots kept returning kicks all day for great field position. And here you are, going up against Devin Hester, who has proven time and again that he can take over a game all by himself. If the Colts need work on anything, itís the special teams. This could be a pivotal battle to be had during the Super Bowl. Edge: Bears

Coaching: Both coaches are entering their first Super Bowls. Tony Dungy should have been here a long time ago, had he not been forced out in Tampa Bay prematurely. Dungy has much more postseason experience, although that really doesnít mean much in this situation. Both are well respected, and are good friends. But if I had to pick one coach in this situation I would lean towards the one with more experience. Edge: Colts

My tally has it Colts 5, Bears 4. But the two biggest intangibles are defense and a running game. Throw in how horrible the Colts special teams played last week and I can see Chicago winning this one by grinding it out and waiting for the Colts to make mistakes. Iíll wait a week before giving you my pick.
Conover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
The sports fans
The sports podcaster

The sports fans is on a distinguished road

Ok here is how the bears win .. Ball control run time down and only have grossman make plays when he has to . But the play Action will be there . The bears have a few advantages over the colts .. 1 they are the underdog. 2. they have something to prove cause everyone expects that manning will win a Superbowl . 3. Defense 4 Running game 5. Special teams really you cant argue about these facts. Colts can throw the ball but I don't think that they will be able to run very well nor do I think that Manning will be able to comeback on the bears .. Just like I said on my boards and many others Bears 34 Colts 14 .

Log it in now.. DA BEARS
The sports fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

This has old timed superbowl blowout written all over it. This game will be over by half time which is a shame.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #12
The sports fans
The sports podcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
That run defense has shut down every back in the playoffs...and LJ, Jamal Lewis, and Corey Dillon all have the same running style as Jones and Benson. It'll be easier too, knowing that the QB for the Bears is quite possibly the worst to start in a superbowl in NFL history.
Whoa now there are way worse Qbs to start in Superbowl's here is a short list
Tony Eason
Vince Ferragamo
Stan Humphries
David Woodley
Trent Dilfer
Joe Kapp
Mark Rypien
Craig Morton
Earl Morrall
Really I think that Rex is better than maybe all of them besides Rypien maybe but the future will tell. The O line and the duo of rb that Chicago has presents a problem to a speed Defense Benson will Pound them then Jones will make them run and when they put 7-8 in the box Play action and BAM 70 yards. but I am a bears fans so Im on the bears side ..
Old 01-28-2007, 01:23 AM   #13
The sports fans
The sports podcaster

Here is some stats for you all for the playoffs this season

----------------------------------------
Peyton Manning
QB Rating: 66.8
Ints: 6
TDs: 2
1-Play Drives: 0
Longest Pass: 52 yards
Sacked: 5 times
Pick-6s: 1
Points/Game: 25.3

Rex Grossman
QB Rating: 75.4
Ints: 1
TDs: 2
1-Play Drives: 1
Longest Pass: 68 yards
Sacked: 3 times
Pick-6s: 0
Points/Game: 33
Who is better in the playoffs?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Dude, Give me a break.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:50 AM   #15
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Bears' defense is more than good enough to keep them in any game they play.

While I haven't officially weighed in on the game yet, I'd say Bears +7 and Under 49 would make an awesome parlay from where I sit.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote