Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default J.R. Smith hospitalized...

Hope everyone involved comes out of this one. Scary stuff...

Smith injured in car crash

MILLSTONE TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith remained hospitalized Sunday after being thrown from his vehicle during a crash Saturday night, but his injuries aren't believed to be as serious as first thought.

"J.R. is fine. There is nothing career- or life-threatening," Nuggets spokesman Eric Sebastian said Sunday. "I did not hear anything that would suggest he is going to be out any games. He is more concerned about the other people in the accident."

Smith and a passenger, Andre Bell, 21, of East Orange, were seriously injured Saturday when the sport utility vehicle Smith was driving went through a stop sign and overturned after colliding with a car at about 5:30 p.m. in Millstone Township, state police said.

Carroll Marshall, 23, another passenger in the SUV, and Lynn Sinatra, 49, of Millstone, who was driving the car, sustained minor injuries. They were taken to CentraState Medical Center in Freehold, where they were treated and later released.

Both Smith and Bell were ejected from the vehicle, said Lt. Brian McPherson, commander of the state police's Hamilton barracks. Bell who sustained life-threatening head injuries was airlifted to Jersey Shore University Hospital in Neptune, while Smith was taken there by ambulance.

Further details on their status and their injuries were not disclosed Sunday.

Smith, 21, was a star player at Lakewood High School and St. Benedict's Prep in New Jersey before being the 18th overall pick of New Orleans in the 2004 NBA draft. He averaged 13.0 points in 63 games for Denver this past season.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6906812
Old 06-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Hopefully this is the full story. As far as I know he's still got that youthful chip on his shoulder...holdin' him back.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

No seatbelt? At any rate, hope he and the other passenger are okay...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

A turn for the worse...

Man injured in crash with Smith dies

NEPTUNE, N.J. (AP) - A New Jersey man who was thrown from Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith's sport utility vehicle when it overturned last weekend died Monday night in the hospital, state police said.

Andre Bell, 21, was sitting in the back seat of the vehicle Smith was driving when it went through a stop sign, collided with another car and flipped over at 5:30 p.m. Saturday in Millstone Township.

Bell, who was in a coma, died from head injuries at 6 p.m. at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, said state police spokesman Sgt. Stephen Jones.

Smith, 21, who was also thrown from the sport vehicle, remained at Jersey Shore on Monday with an injured left shoulder and numerous scratches, Jones said.

Neither Smith nor Bell were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash, he said.

Nuggets spokesman Eric Sebastian said he did not know when Smith might be discharged.

"I think it's too early to say," Sebastian said. "From everything we hear, he's going to be OK."

Sebastian said he did not know if Smith would miss any training, but added, "We didn't hear anything that would indicate his career would be jeopardized in any way."

Smith has been issued two traffic tickets for failure to stop at stop sign and improper passing, Jones said. Both carry fines, though the amount was not immediately available.

A third person in Smith's car and the driver of the car he hit had only minor injuries....
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6908020

Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I feel bad for the guy dying, but...

WEAR A FREAKING SEAT BELT!

Not only is wearing one scientifically proven to safe lives, but there was a terrible reminder of the consequences of not buckling up not too long ago. Coincidentally it also occurred in New Jersey when the state's governor failed to wear a seat belt and the car he was riding it got into an accident. He suffered "a broken leg that ruptured his skin, a broken sternum, broken collarbone, and six broken ribs on each side along with a broken vertebrae and head lacerations."

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Apparently Smith has one of the worst driving records in history as he managed to have his license suspended 5 times amassing 27 points on 8 violations between April 22, 2005 and January 10, 2006.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2901936
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

As I feared...it wasn't the end of the story. This kid needed a reality check years ago.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote