Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 04-14-2008, 01:38 AM   #46
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

jamesfeger is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering

If Ultimate Fighting is replacing boxing in that kind of sport, might one day Rocball replace volleyball in team net sports?
jamesfeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #47
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

What do you think?

Is it time to challenge the mental and physical skills of the athletes who play this kind of team net sport with more than just a conventional rally point game?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #48
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

What are the physical intelligent aspects of a team net sport like volleyball?

ATTACK THE SERVE !

Rally Point Volleyball leaves a lot to be desired. There is now a rule for attacking the serve. We have been attacking the serve long before the FIVB (Federation International de Volleyball) implemented rally point scoring.

Attacking the serve: It is call a "Jam". And, it is one of the hardest plays to complete in a receivung team's arsenal for scoring points. Why in the name of common sense, would a person be hobbled with a rule that states you have to have your feet on the floor to attack a serve. :lol:

Is this something like the FIVB rule where you can only kick a driven ball? In Rocball, kicking a ball to sustain a rally has been in exostence as long as the Jam. :thumbup:
Old 09-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #49
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

Volleyball Clinic On A Rocball Court !!!

Well that was interesting. FIVB sent a Mr. Thomas Saint Marie of Australia to Saipan to teach an 8 day, level one coach clinic. The Clinic was held in our gym on the only indoor Rocball court in the world.

Mr. Saint Marie is apparently a FIVB official. I was introduced to him and informed he has had some degree of influence, of a sort, on the sport of volleyball. And, our mutual friend iintroduced me as a person that has created a hybrid sport with volleyball.

By word of one of the older Rocball players who attended the level one volleyball clinic, Thomas was aware of the letters I've sent to FIVB in the past. I wound up taking a group picture waering an official FIVB T-shirt and some of our young Rocabll players presented Mr. Saint Marie with a couple of our official Rocball T-shirts.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #50
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:thumbup:, James

Keep it up...
Old 09-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #51
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I was getting worried there for a while it had been almost 3 months...
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #52
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks gentlemen !

Rocball season starts next month. A few teams have already started to get their teams organized. But, I think I'll try to keep the league down to 12 teams this year.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #53
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

I just stumbled across these posts that I missed before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfeger View Post
If Ultimate Fighting is replacing boxing in that kind of sport, might one day Rocball replace volleyball in team net sports?
I wouldn't say UF is replacing boxing in as much as boxing (& MA) helped UF emerge as a new sport in itself.

So I think if Rocball continues reaching out to the masses, one day it may make the same type of emergence to go right along with volleyball.

Quote:
Is it time to challenge the mental and physical skills of the athletes who play this kind of team net sport with more than just a conventional rally point game?
Personally, I'd love to see it. :thumbup:
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #54
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

Rocball starts preseason matches next month

The islands' only indigenous sport, Rocball, returns for its 26th year early next month at the Marianas High School Gymnasium.

The sport's founder, Jim Feger, said the longest uninterrupted extra-curricular sport activity of the CNMI's Public School System will start with its preseason games on Oct. 6.

“Team net sport players interested in competing in this year's Rocball games need to form a team, choose a captain, and register with me at the MHS Gym during the MHS Drug and Violent Free Safe Haven Program,” said Feger.

The aforementioned program runs between 5pm and 8pm Monday through Thursday, and Saturday.

Feger said seven teams have already signed up for this year's season of Rocball competition. They are led by last year's champion Evenflow, No-Mercy, Soul Rebels, Okies, Naturals, Uraiwak, Section A, and Ghasias Brothers.

The Ghasias Brothers were former triple crown champions and are raring to make a comeback in the 2008 season.

Feger first wrote about the rules for Rocball in Ebisu, Japan in 1979. The sport itself went through a two-year experimental period at Hopwood Junior High School from 1981 to 1983. Rocball started being played as a regular sporting activity in 1983.

Feger said Rocball is unique because it is the first team net sport to develop offensive and defensive scoring, multiple-point scoring, penalty point scoring, and included goals for scoring in this kind of sport.

The offensive and defensive scoring developed for the indigenous sport of Saipan predated the Federation International de Volleyball's adoption of rally point scoring by 15 years.

Rocball is also the first sport of this kind that developed a scoring system, where a team could win a game by total amount of points scored using a set system of play.

The unique sport is played on a slightly modified standard volleyball court with an overhead net bisecting team courts and a 6x12-foot soccer type goal located 10 feet behind each court. (Saipan Tribune)
Old 10-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #55
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

12 teams to vie for Rocball championship

Twelve teams, led by defending champion Evenflow, will be battling for the championship in the 2008-2009 World Organized Rocball Community League at the Marianas High School Gymnasium.

The league is expected to open later this month, but has started its preseason games last Saturday during the Violence Free Safe Haven Program at the MHS gym.

Rocball creator James Feger said the preseason matches aim to get old players back to their rhythm and to introduce new players to the rules of the sport.

Rocball is called Saipan's indigenous sport and is unique as it combines the rules of volleyball and soccer. It is played in a slightly modified standard volleyball court with an overhead net bisecting team courts and a 6- x 12-foot soccer type goal located 10 feet behind each court. The sport uses a scoring system where a team could win a game by total amount of points scored using a set system of play.

Last season, Evenflow was down in the best-of-five series, but went on to steal the championship from No-Use. Evenflow trailed in the series, 0-2, but swept the last three games to claim the 2007-2008 title.

Evenflow's Typhoon Saito was adjudged most valuable player of the league.

Last season's Rocball league drew 18 teams and 140 players. Joining Evenflow and No-Use in last year's league were the Naturals, No-Mercy, Jammers, Malat, NG Force, Chuukese Warriors, Islanders, Sonics, 670, By Luck, Yamat, Team Seven, Dota All-Stars, Try-Out, and Monota.

No-Use swept No-Mercy in the best-of-three semis series to gain the first finals ticket, while Evenflow notched the last finals slot after outlasting Try-Out, 2-1.

Besides Eveflow, also making a comeback this year are the Islanders, Naturals, and No-Mercy. Completing the list are Ghasias Brothers, Uraiwak, Okies, Sail Rebels, Section A, FSM Boys, Prims, and Fanians.

Feger said teams will play in preseason games for two weeks from Monday to Thursday and every Saturday. Weekday matches will run from 5pm to 8:30pm, while Saturday games will be played from 4pm to 8pm.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #56
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

Ghasias Brothers whip Fanians

By Roselyn Monroyo

Ghasias Brothers won the battle of unbeaten teams in the 2008-2009 World Organized Rocball Community League walloping the Fanians, 59-34, in the second round of the regular season Saturday at the Marianas High School Gymnasium.

Ghasias Brothers, who is composed of veteran Rocball players, gave Fanians their worst beating since joining the league last year.

Fanians players are mostly indoor and beach volleyball enthusiast and started playing Rocball last year. Despite being new to Saipan's indigenous sport, Fanians left an impressive mark in their debut last season.

But Fanians' lack of experience was uncovered by Ghasias Brothers, which showed dominance in the first two sets, 15-3, 15-8.

Fanians regained their form in the third set, pulling off a 15-12 win. Ghasias Brothers still led by a big margin, 42-26, and Fanians needed to win by 16 points in the fourth set to grab the win.

But Fanians tallied only half of the required points helping Ghasias Brothers to nail a 17-8 triumph and preserve the victory.

It was Fanians' first loss in the league after winning three matches in the first round and their debut in the second round.

For the third time, Freddie Pelisamen was Ghasias Brothers' heavy hitter with 17 points scoring five aces, two kees, and a goal.

Ghasias Brothers extended their winning run to four, joining the Okies (1-0) and the Islanders (1-0) in second place in the team standings in the second round. Defending champion Evenflow is leading the league with a 2-0 record.

Eight teams are playing in the second round, but only the Top 4 will advance to the playoffs.

Okies won their first game in the second round after juicing out FSM Rebels, 54-31.

The first set of Okies-FSM Rebels tiff was a neck-and-neck battle with the former escaping with a 16-14 win. The second set was an easy ride for Okies, 15-1, while FSM Rebels recovered in the third, 16-8. But FSM Rebels ran out of gas in the crucial fourth set allowing the Okies to notch an impressive 15-0 win.

Christopher Yug of Okies was the game's heavy hitter firing 18 points on four aces, four kees, and a xunk.

In the second game, Islanders also juiced out Soul Rebels, 56-45.

Islanders swept the first two sets, 16-5 and 16-13, before Soul Rebels found their marks and recorded a 16-8 victory.

In the fourth set, Soul Rebels seemed headed for another win and an upset when they took a 10-5 lead.

But the Islanders regrouped and eked out a 16-11 triumph to foil Soul Rebels' bid.

Jeff Saures scored 13 points for Islanders on three aces, one xunk, one kee, and one goal.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #57
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

Rocball News Release…….12/14/08

Last week was a busy week for Rocball teams. The league became one team
less and two teams are at 3 looses each and one loss from being
eliminated. The Naturals loss their fourth game against the Ghaisias
Brothers and were eliminated for the rest of the year.

The Gaisias Brothers played three games last week winning two and losing
one. The Brothers had to go into overtime to defeat the Naturals because
they failed to close out in regulation play with a winning set. The
Brothers game score after four sets were 66 to 45. The Naturals lost the
first three sets but won the fourth set 15 to 13 and prevented the
Brothers from juicing-out. But, the Brothers were able to win first set OT
and win the game.

In the second game, the Ghasias Brothers defeated the Islanders in four
sets and juiced out with an easy 63 to 39 win. In the third game, the
Brothers rematched against team Evenflow in their second game of the year.
The Ghasias Brothers defeated last year’s champs the first time they met
but failed to repeat their performance the second time around.

Evenflow won the first set 15 to 12, the Ghaisias Br. won the second and
third sets 15 to 14 and 14 to 5. The Ghaisias Brothers had a seven point
lead going into the final set of regulation play and only needed to win
set four to juice-out and win the game. Team Evenflow needed to win set
four to stop the Brothers from juicing out or they needed to win the
fourth set with an eight point margin to win the game. Team Evenflow won
the fourth set 17 to 8 with a nine point margin and won the game and
handed the Brothers their second loss of the year.

Evenflow met No-Mercy later on the same day and didn’t seem to have enough
in reserve to get over a reconstituted No-Mercy team. Evenflow won the
first set 16 to 11 but lost the next three sets 17 to 12, 16 to 7, and 15
to 12. No-Mercy won by juicing out with a 59 to 47 victory.

The Fanians improved their record after defeating the Okies in a game that
went into overtime. The Fanians won the first three sets 15 to 8, 16 to
15, and 16 to 10, but failed to close-out the game by losing the fourth
set 16 to 12. Under Rocball rules of the quarter/set system, a team cannot
win a game in a losing set. So, even though the Fanians outscored the
Okies in four sets of play 70 to 56, the Okies won the fourth set, stopped
the Fanians from juicing-out, and forced the game into overtime. But,
since the Fanians scored the most game points, they only needed to win one
overtime set of 10 points or a goal, and the Okies needed to win two OT
sets to win the game. The Fanians won the first OT set and finished the
game off.

The Okies also played the Soul Rebels who were at three losses and on the
verge of being eliminated if they lost to the Okies. But, the Soul Rebels
hung on by the narrowest of margins and came from behind in the fourth set
to edge out the Okies 61 to 60 for a juice-out win.

The team standings as of 12/14/08 are: Ghasias Brothers with 5 wins and 2
losses, the Fanians with 4 wins and 1 loss, The Okies with 4 wins and 2
losses, Evenflow with 3 wins and 2 losses, the Islanders with 2 wins and 3
losses, the Soul Rebels with 2 wins and 3 losses, No-Mercy with 1 win and
2 losses, and the FSM Rebels with zero wins and 2 losses. The Naturals
were eliminated after they lost their fourth game and two teams, the
Islanders and Soul Rebels are one loss away from being eliminated. The top
four teams will go into the playoffs.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:37 PM   #58
jamesfeger
Grizzled Veteran

4 teams out, Rocball semis set Saturday

Monday, 22 December 2008
By Emmanuel T. Erediano - Variety News Staff

FOUR teams were eliminated last week in the Rocball games leaving three surviving teams playing in the semi-finals set on Saturday at the Marianas High School.

During last week’s games the Fanians eliminated the Soul Rebels knocking them off 76 to 53. No-Mercy juiced out FSM Rebels 69 to 32, the Islanders defeated No-Mercy, and Evenflow upset the Islanders.

The semi-finals will begin on Saturday with the Ghasias Brothers playing the Okies at 5:00 pm and the Fanians playing Evenflow at 7:00 pm.

Teams will play one game of four sets, 25 point per sets which is under the Rocball modified version of the side-out rules of play. Every serve isn’t a point, with one exception, teams don’t score points off a bad serve, a team has to have the serve to win a set or game, and there is not a two point margin rule to win set or game because of Rocball’s multiple-point scoring system.

Under the rules of the Rocball, a game is played by the quarter/set system where in four sets to a game, and a set, regardless how long it takes to complete, is equal to a quarter of game time.

A team has to outscore their opponents after four sets of play and win the fourth set to juice-out; win the game at the end of the fourth set. A team cannot juice-out in a losing set and a team cannot juice-out by winning the fourth set with lower game points than their opponents.

With a four set, 100 point game minimum schedule, players will have to show their skill over a longer period of time than during the regular season of games. Endurance will play a key role in a team’s performance.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #59
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

This thread deserves Thread of the Year.

Keep up the good job, James :thumbup:
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #60
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
What do you think?

Frankly, I would advise against changing any of the rules. You've got a novel idea going by adding a net-- this will attract people with an interest in soccer and hockey, as well as volleyball-- and the game's scoring system is rather complex as it is.

I would suggest modifying the jungle rules, though, and not allow players to go over the net when playing the ball. This will prevent injuries and "cheap play," as it's been called by a number of my friends who play RocBall at their local youth center.

Also, two time outs per set is a bit many. Teams should come prepared and so many time outs slow the game down and ruin the tempo of them game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
Personally, I'd love to see it. :thumbup:
While I usually agree with Tarkus and trust his judgment, I think that a rule change-- other than time-outs and maybe a few tweaks to the jungle rules-- would not be beneficial to the game, especially when considering how fun and novel it is right now. (Don't fix something that ain't broke, as my grandfather used to say.)
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote