Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Cool Anthony's Playoff Picks

Last week: 10-6. Final regular season record: 116-131-9, Pct. .471. Best Bets: 25-23-3, Pct. .520.

Home team in capital letters; point spreads (opening line) in parentheses after underdog team; selections with point spreads in bold.

SATURDAY

Washington 20 (+5), SEATTLE 17 - An easy schedule can be a tremendous asset during the regular season, but come playoff time it often morphs into a liability: The Seahawks played the entire NFL's softest schedule in 2007, while the Redskins had the league's second toughest (exceeded only by NFC East rival Philadelphia), and when a team is accustomed to playing strong opponents it can have an advantage over a team that is used to taking on weaker competition. This factor was cited in Green Bay's seemingly-stunning home loss to Atlanta in the wild card round in 2002 (it was Brett Favre's first-ever loss at Lambeau Field with a kickoff-time temperature of below 35 degrees, and it came at the hands of an indoor team, no less) and could prove to be one of the key issues here. Also, Washington figures to have the edge in the running game, and that's always a nice thing to have in the postseason - and interestingly, of the eight teams playing this week, only the Redskins ranked in the top half of the league in all four major yardage-based categories (run and pass offense and run and pass defense). The more balanced team pulls off the upset.

Jacksonville 27 (+1), PITTSBURGH 13 - Normally, the cold-weather night-game angle would greatly augment the home advantage in a situation like this, but the circumstances here are anything but normal. Jacksonville's offense may have a distinct, early-to-mid-1970s feel to it, but it has been more than effective enough in the here-and-now: The Jaguars can run just as well outside (with Maurice Jones-Drew) as inside (with the seemingly-ageless Fred Taylor), and David Garrard simply doesn't do bonehead plays. This is a rematch of a game played three weeks ago, also in Pittsburgh, in which the Jaguars ran for 224 yards, and the Steelers have since lost their leading rusher, Willie Parker, to a broken leg. The "home" candidate may have won on both sides of the aisle in Thursday's Iowa caucuses (the Democratic winner came from one state away, the Republican winner from two states away), but the ballot box and the gridiron are entirely different institutions.

SUNDAY

N.Y. Giants 17 (+3), TAMPA BAY 14 - The Giants get their third crack at Jeff Garcia in a playoff game, and after losing but covering in both of the first two, this looks like the spot where they break through outright as well. Following an opening-night loss at Dallas, the Giants haven't lost on the road since, and the head-to-head matchup that jumps off the page in this one is Brandon Jacobs vs. a Tampa Bay run defense that ranked 17th in the league. Can three teams from the same division make it to the Elite Eight for the first time since 1997? Indeed they can - and indeed they will.

SAN DIEGO 34, Tennessee 10 (+9) - The Titans will definitely have to go here without their top wide receiver and tight end, and, quite possibly, their first-string quarterback as well - although some claim that the last would prove to be a blessing in disguise. It was with the playoffs in mind that the Chargers parted ways with Marty Schottenheimer, and despite being forced to make a co-league-leading jump in schedule difficulty, the gamble has apparently paid off; Schottenheimer had been 5-13 lifetime in the postseason, and Norv Turner has a chance to improve his career mark therein to 2-1. And do so he will - easily in fact, in the wild-card round's safest investment.

BEST BET: SAN DIEGO

Last edited by Anthony; 01-04-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

San Diego / Houston??? Where'd ya get that Anthony? I agree will all you picks except NYG. I think Tampa will get 'em...
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Anthony

They will always be the Houston Oilers to me - or at least the Nashville Oilers anyway.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ha ha... got it!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

San Diego
Washington
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Seattle, Jacksonville, NY Giants and Tennessee.

Super Bowl

-
Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I'm not sure about Seattle... watching that Seattle / Washington game last night looked like watching two turds fighting in the toilet. In the end, they are bith going down the s hitter anyway you look at it.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Anthony

Don't dismiss Seattle too lightly: That choke Green Bay pulled in Chicago in Week 16 still leaves a bad taste in my mouth - and as for Dallas, Wade Phillips' next playoff win will be his first ever as a head coach.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
Seattle, Jacksonville, NY Giants and Tennessee.

Super Bowl

-

I simmed my Madden 08 tonight, and thats who they had in the Super Bowl too.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
Like I said, you can't make picks if you have emotional ties. I don't care for either team. But as we all know New England is on a mission, and in my opinion, Seattle's playoff experience will be a huge factor. After yesterday, these D-Backs for the Seahawks are beginning to believe. That may be bad news for Bret Favre and company.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Their defense was pretty nasty last night... I'll give ya that.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Of course, how much was Seattle's D playing well, and how much was Washington's O not being that good?

The Seahawks won their division by default, I don't have a lot of confidence in them after the weak schedule they played. Still, it's a new season as they say, and anything can happen.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
:lol:

It's just as good as any of the so-called experts on ESPN.

I'll put a fin down on that one in your honor coachJ.

:lol:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 AM   #14
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

both of my super bowl picks got wasted this weekend so i got to ride with jacksonville now...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal_88 View Post
i got to ride with jacksonville now...
Jacksonville?????

Boy, you got some bad weed on this one...

David Garrard is playing great, but in his first playoffs, you
figure he gets past New England, and then either San Diego
or Indianapolis?

Nice dreamin', but it ain't gonna happen.

Stick with the Pats.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote