Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Favre retires...NOT!

Packers' site mistakenly says Favre retires

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) - Brett Favre's retirement lore is becoming almost as popular as his on-the-field heroics.

On Thursday, the Packers' official Web site briefly reported he was retiring, but the page under the breaking news section was live for only a few minutes.

"There's nothing to it," Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb told The Associated Press. "People who handle our Web site had set up a dummy page in the event he was to retire. They were asked to take down that page."

A call by The AP to Favre's agent, Bus Cook, was not immediately returned.

Cook told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Favre, in his annual rite of winter, had not made up his mind whether to return for his 18th season. The three-time MVP's decision one way or the other is not expected this week.

Several Internet sites have screen captures of the page that show Favre's picture with a caption saying, "Packers quarterback Brett Favre has announced that he will retire."

The page also had a blank area to enter the story's text and details on general manager Ted Thompson holding a "brief press conference" to talk about the announcement.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7...-Favre-retires

Associated Press

Of all the people to make this kind of mistake over I find it funny that they did with Brett "I don't know what to do" Favre.

I wonder how many folks jumped into the frigid waters of Lake Michigan and died thinking it was all over?

:lol:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't know, but he's taking longer than I anticipated. Maybe he's wondering if he can truly have a better season than he did last year, being a field goal from the Super Bowl.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
being a field goal from the Super Bowl.
Correction...being "a stupid interception" away from the Super Bowl.

I think THAT'S going to be the ultimate determining factor
in Brett's decision.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about
Default Favre really gone???

excerpt:

Favre has decided to call it a career

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

So barring an unforeseen last-minute change of heart, Favre will leave the game after 17 years, during which he built himself into a household name and a figure synonymous with grit, toughness and perseverance.

Neither GM Ted Thompson nor head coach Mike McCarthy returned several calls left by FOXSports.com for confirmation.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition he threw 28 TDs including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl following the 2007 season but declined to go.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time record holder in several categories including wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started. A three-time MVP, The southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact, Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game....

Sure, he may still back off this decision (if this story is accurate to begin with) but I'm thinking he's also getting some pressure from the Packer Brass that they need to see what Rodgers has to offer. Besides, even if #4 came back, it'd probably only be for 1 year, 2 at the most.

Time to get on gettin' on...
Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

There is a rumor floating around on talk radio that he was waiting to see if Moss was coming to Green Bay or not.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Fuggin circus. Hate it.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

So long Brett and thank you for the memories (with the exception of 1996 )

It sure is gonna be weird not seeing #4 on Sunday now huh?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Don't believe that Brett Favre has retired no matter what he and the media has said. Isn't it funny that this comes a day after Randy Moss signs a extension with New England. Brett is sending message to the Packers. He'll be back within months. Count of it. No way he's going to drive a tractor and drink beer in Mississippi the rest of his life. The guy is like a junkie on drugs. Football is his dependence and nobody that has play 17 straight years without missing a start during that time is not walking away from the drug he loves.

Remember where you heard it and who told you so.
Bank on it. He'll play again. Gladiators don't retire.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Nice call Dano.... I was about to say "what is the over/under on Brett annoucing he will play?" I say June 15th
Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Nice call Dano.... I was about to say "what is the over/under on Brett annoucing he will play?" I say June 15th
Yeah, B_A, he sending a message to the Packers Headquarters. I don't blame the guy one little bit. The organization has sent him out the past few seasons bear hunting with a flyswatter. He had a terrific year last season and he kind of did he alone. Image what a speedster can do for him. Unlike Romo, Bret's got an arm, he could get it to guys like TO and Moss.

I say May 10th
Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

A lot of people are expecting him to get the itch and come back around August. Count me in ... he says he's mentally tired, but is fine physically. Seems like he could be rejuvenated by the time the season comes around. Curious he didn't have a press conference, just kinda left a voicemail and that was it.

But one disconcerting thing about his decision is he has never done this before, so it could be official and truly it for him. I'm not sure if he's the type of guy who will hang it up and come back. He's waffled before, but not after making the big decision.

All football fans need to read this piece remembering Favre by Brad Oremland: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...rett_favre.php
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

Rumor has it Brett is considering coming back to play one more
year with a different team.

Brett in a Viking uniform???
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

What!!! Are you being serious about that?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Well, his agent is apparently telling folks that Brett wanted to come back but felt that the Packers were not that interested in having him back.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Interesting stuff. How in the world could the Packers not want him after last seasons run? I wonder why he would feel that way?